Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois EV registration proposal to increase fee to $1000/year!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came across this news story today that has the annual Illinois EV registration fee possibly rising from $17.50 per year to $1000 per year. Regular passenger plates would rise from $98 to $148, but EV owners would be required to register with the $1000 fee.

Gas taxes and driver's license fees would go up dramatically under Illinois Senate proposal

I’m all for paying my fair share to use the roads, but $1000 seems ridiculously excessive. Any thoughts on this?

Came across this news story today that has the annual Illinois EV registration fee possibly rising from $17.50 per year to $1000 per year. Regular passenger plates would rise from $98 to $148, but EV owners would be required to register with the $1000 fee.

Gas taxes and driver's license fees would go up dramatically under Illinois Senate proposal

I’m all for paying my fair share to use the roads, but $1000 seems ridiculously excessive. Any thoughts on this?
The $200+ we are paying in Georgia has proven to be exorbitant over time. $1000 annually is utter absurdity.

Dan

Reactions: Brando and hcdavis3
Yeah, $1k seems a little excessive. If a ICE car is driving an average of 12k miles @ a efficiency of 25mpg, that's 480 gallons per year. According to the article, they want to set the gas tax at $0.44/gallon, so the EV registration should be $211 if they want it to be fair.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
I sent an email to Sen. Sandoval and sent copies to my Illinois State Senator and Illinois State Representative and Gov. Prizker. The contact for Gov. Pritzker is https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/gov/contactus/Pages/VoiceAnOpinion.aspx

Here is my email to Senator Sandoval, at this site: http://www.senatormartinsandoval.com/contact-us
I agree that the State of Illinois needs to address a variety of concerns, including funding for infrastructure, including transportation infrastructure. However, I am quite concerned about your proposal.

Because of my concerns about climate change and loss of good-paying jobs in the United States, I just purchased an electric vehicle designed and manufactured in the United States. Most progressive states offer some economic encouragement for the purchase of electric vehicles. The only benefit the State of Illinois currently provides is a reduction in annual auto registration fees of approximately $80. However, with your proposal the purchase of electric vehicles would be discouraged drastically, damaging our fight against climate change and our fight to retain jobs in the United States.

1. Most road repair issues are caused by trucks, not automobiles and certainly not the few electric vehicles on the road.

2. While electric vehicles do not incur gas taxes, owners do pay taxes on the electricity which used.

3. If you want to approximate the gas taxes lost by someone owning an electric vehicle rather than a gasoline-powered vehicle, $1,000 is way excessive. Even ignoring electricity taxes paid, a more accurate calculation would be:

Average annual miles per US DoT: 13,476 miles (https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm)

Average car MPG per US EPA: 24.9 mpg (https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100W3WO.pdf)

So, average gallons of gasoline used: 541.20 gallons

Proposed IL gasoline tax rate: $0.44 per gallon

So, estimated gasoline taxes to be paid annually: $238, not $1,000.

I appreciate your concerns but would request that you reconsider the particulars of your proposal.

I also emailed Governor Pritzker, my State Senator and State Representative with a copy of this email, with this introduction:

I read that Senator Sandoval has proposed increased to a variety of drivers and auto related taxes in Illinois. The increases all seem excessive, but especially for annual registration of electric vehicles. Here is my email to Senator Sandoval. I would appreciate you opposing this proposal.

It would basically be tantamount to banning EVs in the state.

Who is going to pay $1000 a year to register a car. What if you have 2 or 3 EVs ?

Exactly the wrong direction in these times.

What is the name of the legislator who introduced the idea of taxing EVs like this ?

The fundamental problem with what you are saying is that you don't understand what "paying my fair share" actually means. It's never been about paying for the value of that which you consume. It's about transferring wealth from those who have money to the government. So this is totally in line with the reality of "pay your fair share" politics.

The fundamental problem with what you are saying is that you don't understand what "paying my fair share" actually means. It's never been about paying for the value of that which you consume. It's about transferring wealth from those who have money to the government. So this is totally in line with the reality of "pay your fair share" politics.

ICE vehicles use the road and are taxed through gasoline taxes. We EV owners use the same roads, but do not pay gasoline taxes. I’m willing to pay the same amount that the average ICE vehicle owner pays. That’s what I meant by “fair share”.

The fundamental problem with what you are saying is that you assumed you knew what I was saying.

ICE vehicles use the road and are taxed through gasoline taxes. We EV owners use the same roads, but do not pay gasoline taxes. I’m willing to pay the same amount that the average ICE vehicle owner pays. That’s what I meant by “fair share”.

The fundamental problem with what you are saying is that you assumed you knew what I was saying.

I knew what you were trying to say, but you used a political phrase that has a meaning different from what you were trying to express. What you meant to say is that you would be willing to pay an amount equal to what ICE vehicles pay, and that's not what "fair share" has been politicized to mean.

I knew what you were trying to say, but you used a political phrase that has a meaning different from what you were trying to express. What you meant to say is that you would be willing to pay an amount equal to what ICE vehicles pay, and that's not what "fair share" has been politicized to mean.
Let’s use English here. Fair share is fine.

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: Eclectic and Scott7
I sent an email to Sen. Sandoval and sent copies to my Illinois State Senator and Illinois State Representative and Gov. Prizker. The contact for Gov. Pritzker is https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/gov/contactus/Pages/VoiceAnOpinion.aspx

Here is my email to Senator Sandoval, at this site: http://www.senatormartinsandoval.com/contact-us
I agree that the State of Illinois needs to address a variety of concerns, including funding for infrastructure, including transportation infrastructure. However, I am quite concerned about your proposal.

Because of my concerns about climate change and loss of good-paying jobs in the United States, I just purchased an electric vehicle designed and manufactured in the United States. Most progressive states offer some economic encouragement for the purchase of electric vehicles. The only benefit the State of Illinois currently provides is a reduction in annual auto registration fees of approximately $80. However, with your proposal the purchase of electric vehicles would be discouraged drastically, damaging our fight against climate change and our fight to retain jobs in the United States.

1. Most road repair issues are caused by trucks, not automobiles and certainly not the few electric vehicles on the road.

2. While electric vehicles do not incur gas taxes, owners do pay taxes on the electricity which used.

3. If you want to approximate the gas taxes lost by someone owning an electric vehicle rather than a gasoline-powered vehicle, $1,000 is way excessive. Even ignoring electricity taxes paid, a more accurate calculation would be:

Average annual miles per US DoT: 13,476 miles (https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm)

Average car MPG per US EPA: 24.9 mpg (https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100W3WO.pdf)

So, average gallons of gasoline used: 541.20 gallons

Proposed IL gasoline tax rate: $0.44 per gallon

So, estimated gasoline taxes to be paid annually: $238, not $1,000.

I appreciate your concerns but would request that you reconsider the particulars of your proposal.

I also emailed Governor Pritzker, my State Senator and State Representative with a copy of this email, with this introduction:

I read that Senator Sandoval has proposed increased to a variety of drivers and auto related taxes in Illinois. The increases all seem excessive, but especially for annual registration of electric vehicles. Here is my email to Senator Sandoval. I would appreciate you opposing this proposal.

Thanks.

I just copied and sent Sandoval the same email you posted.

Maybe a number of us should pay him a visit on a certain date to protest. I can't coordinate the protest, however I would certainly participate.

It would be interesting to see your perspective if this were to happen to you ( in your state ).

That would be "fair" to me.

"I want to live in a modern society, with good infrastructure, but I don't want to pay for it."
Some people act like the government burns the money it receives in taxes.

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from moving to the Libertarian paradise, where there are no taxes, and everything is run by Objectivist Libertarian principles.

"I want to live in a modern society, with good infrastructure, but I don't want to pay for it."

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from moving to the Libertarian paradise, where there are no taxes, and everything is run of Objectivist Libertarian principles.

What?

All we are talking about is a $1k TAX.....

Can we not get derailed on some political discussions or needless chatter?

We can't ever stay focused.

Reactions: mswlogo

Sounds and looks like fake news to me

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from moving to the Libertarian paradise, where there are no taxes, and everything is run by Objectivist Libertarian principles.

I must admit, that video did make me chuckle... tho the guy's right, shaking down EV drivers for $1k/yr on top of other licensing fees, is obscene. Never mind the fact that many highways in America (not sure about IL) are already toll roads...