Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois Green Energy Bill - $4,000 Rebate - Good/Bad News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's July 1 - https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/102/102-0662.htm
(2) Purchase an electric vehicle in Illinois on or
after July 1, 2022 and be the owner of the vehicle at the
time the rebate is issued. Rented or leased vehicles,
vehicles purchased from an out-of-state dealership, and
vehicles delivered to or received by the purchaser
out-of-state are not eligible for a rebate under this Act

Hard to read, but it seems to say:
  • Counties of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will,
  • Beginning July 1, 2022, a $4,000 rebate (less after 2026)
  • Apply for the rebate within 90 days
  • The Agency shall prioritize the review of qualified applications from low-income purchasers and award rebates to
    qualified purchasers accordingly. (80% of median income)
    (doesn't say have to be low income)
  • The purchaser must retain ownership of the vehicle for a minimum of 12 months and reside in IL (or reimburse)
  • For new and used cars
  • Only once per purchaser in any 10-year period.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Hard to read, but it seems to say:
  • Counties of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will,
  • Beginning July 1, 2022, a $4,000 rebate (less after 2026)
  • Apply for the rebate within 90 days
  • The Agency shall prioritize the review of qualified applications from low-income purchasers and award rebates to
    qualified purchasers accordingly. (80% of median income)
    (doesn't say have to be low income)
  • The purchaser must retain ownership of the vehicle for a minimum of 12 months and reside in IL (or reimburse)
  • For new and used cars
  • Only once per purchaser in any 10-year period.
From my Post #16 of this thread, it said something would be changed to include all people in Illinois during the fall veto session, but I don't know if any changes were ever made...

New Updates in my email came today from
Chicago Area Clean Cities Coalition

3/17/22 from IL Registry Update dated 2/25/22 - Source (its a mess!)
Basically:
1. $4,000 rebate - must apply
2. July 1, 2022 delivery date or after (POS legislative delay from law passed 9/15/21)
3. Covered Area has been deleted in this proposed "floating public comments" version.
4. Must be from a licensed secretary of State automobile dealership - cannot access the list online, must pay for the list $150 or go to the Tesla "outlet" dealership and get their IL Dealer ID#, address, and State Tax ID#
5. many other changes - not a lawyer.

Note my purchase from delivery 12/5/2021 had none of the legal paperwork included like IL ST556 or ? RUT25? - Called Springfield and they said Tesla was a licensed dealership if that word of mouth helps any.

I didn't go through the entire thing but based on skimming through the EV rebate section in the register, it seems that there is no longer an income limit to qualify for the $4K rebate, but they may "prioritize" low income applicants if there is insufficient funds in the program:

"In the event of insufficient fund availability, the Agency shall prioritize the review of qualified applications from low-income purchasers and award rebates to qualified purchasers accordingly".

I am holding off ordering a new Performance Model Y until this mess is sorted out and ALL THE FACTS MADE KNOWN. In the meantime I’ll enjoy our 2020 Model Y with Performance Boost that has been FULLY DEBUGGED. Someone will get a great preowned Model Y.

My SA tells me only a limited number of people will qualify for this $4K rebate since there is only enough money in the fund to cover more than a handful of July registrations. In other words, you order a car now, it comes in around September, and you're probably out of luck. My car is scheduled for end of the year, or early 2023. I will be out of luck for sure. 1500 cars will go quickly. He guesses that with 80% going to Tesla sales in Illinois, and with the number they sell at all the Illinois Tesla locations, that two to three weeks will exhaust the $6M fund.

I have a MYP on order with an EDD of June 1 - July 6. I will certainly be delaying 30 days if the car is scheduled for delivery anytime before July 1st. Since this is so close, I will keep updated with any news I receive.

I have a MYP on order with an EDD of June 1 - July 6. I will certainly be delaying 30 days if the car is scheduled for delivery anytime before July 1st. Since this is so close, I will keep updated with any news I receive.
I just bought a used MS from Tesla last week. They told me I only had 72 hours to accept the order after it was delivered onsite. Not sure if someone with more experience going thru the process can chime in, if it's the same as a new order.

Any word on what kind of detail is going to be requested for the 80% rebate on home EV installation costs? Still haven't seen a word on what is required to be shown in order to receive the rebate and how the rebate is paid.