Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois Infrastructure Plan Would Raise EV Registration Fees to $1,000/yr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this happens I will setup an LLC in another state, transfer ownership of our M3, and register the car there, $1,000/yr is insanity x100.... I'd have to drive ~75k miles a year to come close to the $1,000/yr I'd spend in gas taxes driving an ICE vehicle.

This is really about stopping Tesla with the convenient side effect of killing the rest of the EV market which dealers don't want to sell anyway. The author Senator Martin Sandoval is under the dealership lobby influence.

Friends of Martin A Sandoval - Illinois Sunshine
The top donors are from car dealerships:

Rogers Auto Group $67,298.28 Mar 01, 2019
Car of Illinois $43,000.00 Aug 15, 2018
Chicago Auto Trade PAC $25,500.00 Dec 18, 2018

If this happens I will setup an LLC in another state, transfer ownership of our M3, and register the car there, $1,000/yr is insanity x100.... I'd have to drive ~75k miles a year to come close to the $1,000/yr I'd spend in gas taxes driving an ICE vehicle.

This is really about stopping Tesla with the convenient side effect of killing the rest of the EV market which dealers don't want to sell anyway. The author Senator Martin Sandoval is under the dealership lobby influence.

If you can pulls this off, this sounds promising. Have you had any experience doing this? Maybe you can create a DIY procedure the TMC community could follow to do this! Great thinking outside the box.

Illinois lawmakers say they’re ready to move ahead with a major road construction program. It would mean tax and fee increases on gasoline, license plates and driver’s licenses.

Owners of electric vehicles would be even harder hit: the current annual registration fee is $17.50; the new fee would be $1,000, every year.

Full article can be read here.

and I've been complaining about $100 a year because it's twice what I was taxed on gas for my Prius.

$1,000 a year would literally make it cheaper for me to sell my EVs and get gas cars again. (perish the thought).

I drive under 10,000 miles a year on the primary and under 7,000 miles a year on the secondary. No way I could absorb a yearly fee like that.

$1,000 a year would literally make it cheaper for me to sell my EVs and get gas cars again.
Well, wait a second there. Maybe it works differently where you live, I don't know;, but out here, I would pay the same $1,000 on an ICE car of the same price.
Here, it is based on the price of the car and how new it is. It isn't based on the fact that it is an EV. I haven't live in TN in a long time, so maybe it is different there.

This is inaccurate and misleading.

I hate this bill/senator as much as anyone (I literally thought it had to be a typo the first time I read about it), but to exclude all of the non-car dealership trade group donors from his "top donors" list is plainly misleading.

Second, Rogers Auto Group isn't a donor at all. You're confusing "expenditures" with "donations". The senator's campaign committee has paid $67,298.28 to Rogers Auto Group over the course of 7 years to lease a vehicle(s).

Here's the full list of donors, with auto dealer groups highlighted in red and electric utilities in green. (Using the same cherry-picking approach as above, I could easily, but deceptively, argue that he's in the pocket of Big Electric given his donations from Ameren and ComEd.) :rolleyes:

upload_2019-5-10_15-53-18.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

upload_2019-5-10_15-52-13.png

Last edited:
This proposal does not make sense. I used these links to send the Alderman and Sandoval the below email, and sign the opposed petition:

Vote against it here: Gas tax increase | Illinois Policy
Sign petition here: Oppose doubling Illinois’ gas tax | Illinois Policy
Contact your alderman here: Chicago Alderman | Illinois Policy
Contact Sandoval here: Contact Us

About the plan to finance your plan by raising EV registration from $17.50 to $1000.

1: This will discourage IL customers to buy an EV. One would need to drive over 75k miles to match $1000 in gas tax if driven by a gas car. We need to motivate customers to move from gas to electric for our global health. Other states do so by providing EV incentives. IL doesn't have ANY EV incentives, and now instead of that you propose to increase an EV registration fee by 5700% This will make this bill and you very unpopular, especially in the eyes of conscious consumers, health minded consumers, and the green movement.

2: This is unfair: The gas tax is based on how much you use the road: Drive more, use more gas thus you pay more. The proposed $1000 EV fee is unfair for everyone who doesn't drive a lot. Whether one drives 5k of 50k per year, the fee would be the same, even if the first driver uses the road 10x less.

3: The increase amount is unreasonable: No consumer would expect to suddenly have to pay $1000 instead of $17.50 per year.

4: There is no balance between the gas tax and this EV fee of $1000: It would require 75K miles per year in a gas car to pay the same $1000. Why would an EV owner have to pay so much more compared to a gas car driver?

Please take the above into consideration to adjust your bill.

This proposal does not make sense. I used these links to send the Alderman and Sandoval the below email, and sign the opposed petition:

Vote against it here: Gas tax increase | Illinois Policy
Sign petition here: Oppose doubling Illinois’ gas tax | Illinois Policy
Contact your alderman here: Chicago Alderman | Illinois Policy
Contact Sandoval here: Contact Us

About the plan to finance your plan by raising EV registration from $17.50 to $1000.

1: This will discourage IL customers to buy an EV. One would need to drive over 75k miles to match $1000 in gas tax if driven by a gas car. We need to motivate customers to move from gas to electric for our global health. Other states do so by providing EV incentives. IL doesn't have ANY EV incentives, and now instead of that you propose to increase an EV registration fee by 5700% This will make this bill and you very unpopular, especially in the eyes of conscious consumers, health minded consumers, and the green movement.

2: This is unfair: The gas tax is based on how much you use the road: Drive more, use more gas thus you pay more. The proposed $1000 EV fee is unfair for everyone who doesn't drive a lot. Whether one drives 5k of 50k per year, the fee would be the same, even if the first driver uses the road 10x less.

3: The increase amount is unreasonable: No consumer would expect to suddenly have to pay $1000 instead of $17.50 per year.

4: There is no balance between the gas tax and this EV fee of $1000: It would require 75K miles per year in a gas car to pay the same $1000. Why would an EV owner have to pay so much more compared to a gas car driver?

Please take the above into consideration to adjust your bill.

And here's a link to contact Illinois Senate President John Cullerton who was one of the earliest Model S owners and cut the ribbon opening the first Supercharger station in Illinois: Contact Us

• Helpful
Reactions: Lucky_Man
Well, wait a second there. Maybe it works differently where you live, I don't know;, but out here, I would pay the same $1,000 on an ICE car of the same price.
Here, it is based on the price of the car and how new it is. It isn't based on the fact that it is an EV. I haven't live in TN in a long time, so maybe it is different there.

Here a normal registration for a gas car is $65 ($29 for the state and $36 for the county). It doesn't matter if you car is a Yugo from the 80s or a Maserati from 2018, it's still just $65.

An EV pays $100 to the state on top of that to offset gas taxes you don't pay (yet my electric bill has taxes on it as well).

I just assumed this $1000 bill in Illinois was on top of the existing taxes/fees for cars. Are EVs there exempt from the taxes currently? The article doesn't seem to make out that way.

Per the article a $17.50 fee is going up to $1,000 and as far as I can tell that fee is on top of all other fees gas cars pay.

On top of that, the cost of license plates would go up, too, increasing from $98 to $148 for most vehicles.

Owners of electric vehicles would be even harder hit: the current annual registration fee is $17.50; the new fee would be $1,000, every year.

See post #13 Illinois Infrastructure Plan Would Raise EV Registration Fees to $1,000/yr if you still don't understand.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
In addition to the proposed outrageous annual flat annual registration fee for electric cars being unfair to retirees and other low mileage drivers, consideration has not been given that the added electricity costs for EV owners are taxed. Meanwhile the state incurs substantial expenses for emissions testing stations which EVs do not visit. Once EVs become ubiquitous, those stations can be closed.

For now the state needs to encourage a more rapid transition to EVs to greatly reduce air pollution and global warming. Other states still allow income tax credits to encourage the purchase of EVs. Illinois ended its similar program, and it needs to be revived.

The annual car registration fees should be based on mileage driven for each car. Modern cars including EVs provide over-the-air data including mileage to their manufacturers. This can be shared with the state. Meanwhile, the state records odometer readings during emissions tests. If that is considered insufficient, transponders can be attached to odometers as is done for tollway trips.

The proposed $1000 annual fee for EVs appears to be inspired by auto dealership groups that fund Sen. Sandoval’s campaigns. Dealers hope to stave off the adoption of EV’s because they are low maintenance, while dealers depend primarily upon parts and service for their profits. In particular they hope to damage EV maker Tesla due to its direct to consumer sales and service methods. The veiled motive for the proposed $1000 fee would be to choke off demand for EVs. That is contrary to the intent of the treasured American free competitive enterprise system. Would you not agree that is un-American?

Illinois residents please write your legislators, governor and local newspapers.

The $1000 fee is just an opening bid for the negotiations, so we’ll be more accepting when the fee is set at “only” $200. That would still be tied for the highest in the country.

Exactly. It's attention grabbing.

Don't let them frame the debate as setting the right fixed fee. Attack the inconsistency between proposed ICEV and EV pricing system so they work to solve the problem properly.