Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois Infrastructure Plan Would Raise EV Registration Fees to $1,000/yr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV drivers going to have to pay something. What’s reasonable is a worthy discussion. Certainly not 1k like Illinois proposes but something reasonable. Let’s say you categorize and EV using the mpg of a Prius. Say it gets 40 MPG and you drive 15k / year (we can argue 12 vs 15 but it will make the same point). So let’s say the gas tax is $.50 / gallon would be $187.50 / year. I think that’s a fair way to apportion it. NJ’s gas tax is 41.4 cents per gallon. At 1000 bucks a year it would be like buy 2,415 gallons of gas. Why would I pay 1,000 in gas tax when no ICE car would be paying that?

EV drivers going to have to pay something. What’s reasonable is a worthy discussion. Certainly not 1k like Illinois proposes but something reasonable. Let’s say you categorize and EV using the mpg of a Prius. Say it gets 40 MPG and you drive 15k / year (we can argue 12 vs 15 but it will make the same point). So let’s say the gas tax is $.50 / gallon would be $187.50 / year. I think that’s a fair way to apportion it. NJ’s gas tax is 41.4 cents per gallon. Why would I pay 1,000 in gas tax when no ICE car would be paying that?
FYI this is very old. The $1000 was ridiculous and everyone knew it. In the final resolution, IL EV owners pay an extra $100. The $1000 was a straw man.

Reactions: jsmay311