Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois Infrastructure Plan Would Raise EV Registration Fees to $1,000/yr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: I received a letter in the mail with notice that the EV plate registration would be increasing to $251 annually. As a "courtesy" I received a new license plate sticker which was valid until 1/20. Courtesy my @$$, the only reason they issued a one month extension sticker was to push my renewal out into 2020, so then they would be able to assess the $251 annual fee.

I thought I would be able to renew in 2019 for two years at the lower rate, but no, not an option now. Welcome to Illinois where they find a way to get every dollar out of your pocket they possibly can.
I agree with the sentiment, but facts are that EL plates have always expired Dec 31, regardless of when you purchase. This extension actually is a courtesy.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
They are early expiring EV plates so they don't have to wait 2 years to upcharge you, since previously the EV plates were renewed every 2 years. The "extension as a courtesy" is just to get all of the upcharges synchronized. Even if you were supposed to expire in 2021, they're extending the same "courtesy" by making you renew early and cancelling your previous registration terms.

UPDATE: I received a letter in the mail with notice that the EV plate registration would be increasing to $251 annually. As a "courtesy" I received a new license plate sticker which was valid until 1/20. Courtesy my @$$, the only reason they issued a one month extension sticker was to push my renewal out into 2020, so then they would be able to assess the $251 annual fee.

I thought I would be able to renew in 2019 for two years at the lower rate, but no, not an option now. Welcome to Illinois where they find a way to get every dollar out of your pocket they possibly can.

Not really. I got the same letter, but I had ordered my 1-year renewal sticker the day before and the charge was $251 because I was ordering a 2020 renewal sticker. I assume this accommodation was for two reasons: (1) The cost increase was so large that they wanted to give people a longer “head’s up,” and (2) since all EL license plates expire on the same date, 12/31/2019, it spreads out the renewal process for the IL Secretary of State’s office.

I’m pretty certain all EL plates expire co terminus December 31 19. Yes they were issued for 2 year periods, BUT they were all prorated to have common expiration and cycle.

if someone can actually show a prior EL registration expiring other than 12/31/19 please correct me.

Correct. They all expire 12/31/2019. I purchased mine earlier this year at a pro rated cost.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I agree that they did it to reduce potential legal challenges as to whether you could renew in December 2019 for two years expiring in 2021. I always understood that 2020 would cost me 250 odd dollars for the EV plate, but some were holding hope that they could renew in December at the 2019 rate. I never believed it because the plates were for the 2020 year, regardless of when you paid for it.

I agree that they did it to reduce potential legal challenges as to whether you could renew in December 2019 for two years expiring in 2021. I always understood that 2020 would cost me 250 odd dollars for the EV plate, but some were holding hope that they could renew in December at the 2019 rate. I never believed it because the plates were for the 2020 year, regardless of when you paid for it.
Do you have any evidence they did it to reduce legal risk? Absent evidence, there’s zero reason besides poisonous cynicism to believe so.

Do you have any evidence they did it to reduce legal risk? Absent evidence, there’s zero reason besides poisonous cynicism to believe so.
Just cynicism and a lack of better theories that fit the data.

I would be easily swayed by a better theory. Why would they give us a free month?

The alternative theory I have come up with (after thinking about it more) is that they aren't prepared to bill us properly as their systems aren't ready to accept this new payment. So they wasted even more money by sending out a one month sticker. The problem with making a significant change to a fee that isn't charged to very many people is that it costs quite a bit of money to implement that change. Wisconsin found this out the hard way and won't recover those costs for many years. Illinois has more EV's already than Wisconsin so we won't be in the red for quite as long. If IL was smart they would have just made EV's normal cars again, and then avoided most of the work of trying to capture the additional cost.

I guess your right, they probably aren't ready yet, that fits the data a bit better.

The alternative theory I have come up with (after thinking about it more) is that they aren't prepared to bill us properly as their systems aren't ready to accept this new payment. So they wasted even more money by sending out a one month sticker. The problem with making a significant change to a fee that isn't charged to very many people is that it costs quite a bit of money to implement that change. Wisconsin found this out the hard way and won't recover those costs for many years. Illinois has more EV's already than Wisconsin so we won't be in the red for quite as long. If IL was smart they would have just made EV's normal cars again, and then avoided most of the work of trying to capture the additional cost.

Not true. I was at SOS two weeks ago-- before I got the 1-month extension sticker in the mail. I asked them if I could buy renew "EL" sticker then to save time. I was thinking it might come up at old rate. Didn't happen. Sticker printed up in new pale yellow color showing 1-21 expiration date and they "embarrassingly " mentioned I now owe them $251.

Not true. I was at SOS two weeks ago-- before I got the 1-month extension sticker in the mail. I asked them if I could buy renew "EL" sticker then to save time. I was thinking it might come up at old rate. Didn't happen. Sticker printed up in new pale yellow color showing 1-21 expiration date and they "embarrassingly " mentioned I now owe them $251.
Wow! Anyone else have a theory why they sent out a free month of registration then?

Wow! Anyone else have a theory why they sent out a free month of registration then?

My theories: (1) They knew most people wouldn’t realize the price went up from $34 (for the next 2 years) to $251 (for 1 year) until they went to renew and wanted to give people time to renew at the new rate and/or (2) they realized that they couldn’t handle all the renewals by 12/31/2019 so they stretched the renewals out to 1/31/2020 to handle the rush. But who really knows?

My theories: (1) They knew most people wouldn’t realize the price went up from $34 (for the next 2 years) to $251 (for 1 year) until they went to renew and wanted to give people time to renew at the new rate and/or (2) they realized that they couldn’t handle all the renewals by 12/31/2019 so they stretched the renewals out to 1/31/2020 to handle the rush. But who really knows?
I agree with theory 1, most people didn't know. Still doesn't explain why they just didn't send us a bill instead of a 1 month tag. Most of the drivers in IL are unaware that they gas / diesel cars are going up $50, they probably aren't getting letters and a sticker for 1 month free.

Theory 2 is on shaky ground, there are around 4.5 million cars in Illinois, and there are somewhere around 20,000 EL plates ever issued, some of which are no longer active. If we had 200,000 EL Plates issued, then I could see this possibly being an issue but even then, probably not. In reality the winter is probably quiet by comparison to the other three seasons as car sales really drop off during the cold months around here and renewals are based on when you bought the car.

I didn't mind paying more for my EV registration than for an ICE since I do use the roads and I did't buy gas for that car. The problem is I need to use the tollway for most of my driving and pay a gas tax on top is ridiculous.

If you have sales tax, remember an EV costs roughly $10,000 more than its ICE equivalent, so they have already front loaded your vehicle taxation.

Something else to consider. People who have no car, or people who have gov't/company cars also need roads and road maintenance. Not just for public safety but for business. No roads, no jobs.