Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois "Optional ERT Fee" and $4,000 rebate starting July 1, 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Optional ERT Fee - What is this $25 ?? - Googled it and it apparently only applies to Illinois but could be "aka" under other state's law.

Basically its: per section Section 1010.540 Fees of State of IL code

TITLE 92: TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER II: SECRETARY OF STATE
PART 1010 CERTIFICATES OF TITLE, REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES

"Vendors participating in the Electronic Registration and Titling (ERT) program may charge customers a fee for the optional service of electronically processing their vehicle titling and registration or data and for providing registration plates or stickers. The maximum fee to be imposed upon a customer utilizing the ERT services shall be $25, in addition to any other fee permitted by law or rule."

Also the new code IL state law passed 9/15/21 "Energy Transition Act – Public Act 102-0662 – SB2408" in Illinois will not allow for the $4,000 rebate (415 ILCS 120/27 new - Sec. 27. Electric vehicle rebate)(a) - to occur until sale on or after 7/1/22 - Horrendous! - I will miss this bonus big time.

ERT is fee is for any vehicle sales in IL not just EV. That is for the dealers to send your information to DMV electronically/online vs. having to mail it in or you having to go to DMV. It's a bit steep for $25 if you ask me. Dealers who submit the information to DMV electronically do not get charged $25/submitting. Unless I am told different by a dealer. The dealers submit all information depending on their schedule, weekly or bi-weekly to DMV all together and they DO NOT pay $25/vehicle registration submitting fee. But that's something you cannot really argue with the dealers as they would say, you can take care of the registration yourself and give you temp plates.