Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois Tollway doesn’t recognize EL plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been driving the same commute for the past 10 years and the last 14 months was with a Tesla that has an EL plate. Last week I received a letter from the Illinois Tollway accusing me of 3 toll violations. One in April and 2 in July.

I called them to dispute and they seemed to know what the problem is already. The lady said it happens to EVs from time to time. They dismissed the violations ($20 each + toll at cash price) but still asked me to pay the cash rate which is double the IPass rate.

The problem according to them is that, when I added the Tesla to my account, I’ve chosen the wrong plate type. I chose “passenger” and entered my plate number for example “99999 EL”. EL plate is NOT an option on their website so I’d automatically assume it’s a passenger plate.

The toll I missed is only $3 at cast rate but I still disputed it because I had a valid account and a working transponder at the time, and the fact that there’s no EL plate for me to choose at time of adding my vehicle. They wouldn’t budge and I didn’t pursue further since it’s only $3.

BOTTOM LINE: My fellow Illinois EV owners, if you drive a Tesla or any EV for that matter, in your IPass account you need to choose “Other - None of the above” as the plate type, and then call them to make sure they put note on it saying this is an EV. Yes they expect us to do that even though there’re no clear instructions of this anywhere. Some of you might never have this problem but it’s just a precaution. I spent an hour on the phone with them to clear this up!
I had the same issue. This is a scam.. When adding a vehicle you are required to select "Other" as the license plate type, which no reasonable person would know to do. This is a Passenger car and I think anyone would choose "Passenger" as the choice that makes the most sense. This should be grounds for a class action lawsuit. Blatant ripoff.

Attachments

• IPASS_LicensePlateType_Screenshot.jpg
    IPASS_LicensePlateType_Screenshot.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Informative
Reactions: Takumi
My problems with my Illinois I-Pass transponder started in May 2023 on my MS. I’ve had the same car and transponder since January 2017. I’ve had 3 phone calls with I-Pass service; I’ve been to Downers Grove I-Pass center where they tested my transponder and changed the registration from ”passenger car” to “other”. Now I’m getting only video reads of my EL license plate, which are charging the right amount, but they allow only five times a month before they impose the “full cash rate”. The rep today ordered a new front license plate mounted transponder, but I know that won’t fix the problem. I’ll end up calling for refunds every month. I think that many people who commented in this thread don’t know that the early model S cars (and probably X) don’t have anywhere in the windshield that is cleared and allows for a windshield mounted transponder. New cars do though.

One more thing. In the browser for I-Pass, it shows that my active transponder is not assigned to a car. I attempted to assign it, and it had one selectable option: my license plate on a passenger car. I selected it, and it said it was invalid. The rep at I-Pass couldn’t do it either; he said to leave it unassigned.

My problems with my Illinois I-Pass transponder started in May 2023 on my MS. I’ve had the same car and transponder since January 2017. I’ve had 3 phone calls with I-Pass service; I’ve been to Downers Grove I-Pass center where they tested my transponder and changed the registration from ”passenger car” to “other”. Now I’m getting only video reads of my EL license plate, which are charging the right amount, but they allow only five times a month before they impose the “full cash rate”. The rep today ordered a new front license plate mounted transponder, but I know that won’t fix the problem. I’ll end up calling for refunds every month. I think that many people who commented in this thread don’t know that the early model S cars (and probably X) don’t have anywhere in the windshield that is cleared and allows for a windshield mounted transponder. New cars do though.

A front plate mounted transponder ended my 2019 Model 3 I-Pass woes. On the other hand, my wife's 2021 Model Y uses a windshield mounted transponder just fine. Go figure.

I think that many people who commented in this thread don’t know that the early model S cars (and probably X) don’t have anywhere in the windshield that is cleared and allows for a windshield mounted transponder.
My 2014 Model S has a spot near the rearview mirror that lets the signal of the transponder pass. See the dots in the windshield. That’s where I put mine. I think it was also on the 2013. Issues on the early 2012 models probably.