Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois Vanity Plate on EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This questions is for Illinois owners.

I have seen so many EV with vanity plates, regular plates, NON EV plates.

Did the DMV required all EV using EV plates?

Owners on current vanity plates, Did the state required or force you to change your plate back to EV plates?

IL X owner here. Just got my X registered last month at the DMV. I was told no vanity or specialized plates for EV cars anymore per law.

sounds like previous owners had a loop hole to transfer vanity plates to an EV car, but no more.

i had to get EL plates which I hate since I have IL vanity & collegiate plates on all my others cars.

Illinois X owner also. When I initially picked up car at Westmont service center they put a regular plate on car. My wife thought that the "EL" plates were cool so we went to DMV and "upgraded" to EL plates ($18). Then last year the state increased prices from $38 every two years to $248 dollars every year for the electric plates. Now standard plates are about $100 cheaper per year. When it was time to renew the plates, in their infinite wisdom, the Illinois Sec of State sent me a renewal for my original regular plates. My wife did dot think the EL was $100/yr worth of cool, so now I have the original regular plates back on the car. I had a cop buddy run my plates and he said it was all good...

EV plates? Anyone got pics?

B0B63B8F-D9F1-46D2-A388-45A2547BBA2B.jpeg

Reactions: VikH