Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illuminated Door Sills - Tesla Shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arrived this afternoon. Hope those batteries last forever, because the only way to change them is to remove the sill plate and beg Tesla for another pre-cut piece of adhesive - or fudge something together.
What batteries are they using? That’s what I thought, rip off the sill plate every time you need to change the batteries? Ok. Let us know how you like them nevertheless!

Ski

Reactions: hcdavis3
I want a set that says SPACEX. 🚀

You can order them saying whatever you want from this company. I have a friend that has them about a year now. They work the same way. There is a magnet on the door. They are not brushed aluminum though.

US $23.04 55%OFF | Led Rechargeable Acrylic Pedal lamp pathway Door Sill PMMA light Automobile decorative lamp For Tesla Model Y S X 3 2016 to 2021

Last edited:
I've been waiting for illuminated door sills for a long time but $250 is outrageous, especially with the batteries being non-replaceable. FYI these have been available on the EU Tesla Shop for a few months now.
It would appear from TeslaRaj’s video that the batteries are “accessible” and perhaps replaceable. However, to get to those batteries, you’d have to pry-off/remove the sill which could damage/bend the sills. At minimum, you’d have to replace the double sided tape… which in itself is not that big of a deal. Honestly, I’m OK with the price. It’s just the other shortcomings that are preventing me from buying these illuminated sills.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
It would appear from TeslaRaj’s video that the batteries are “accessible” and perhaps replaceable. However, to get to those batteries, you’d have to pry-off/remove the sill which could damage/bend the sills. At minimum, you’d have to replace the double sided tape… which in itself is not that big of a deal. Honestly, I’m OK with the price. It’s just the other shortcomings that are preventing me from buying these illuminated sills.
Not sure but he mentioned in the video that the batteries weren't replaceable so I'll take his word for it.

If it was for all four doors I would be okay with the price. Or perhaps if they let you change the color of the lighting.

I bought these and just installed and cannot get it to light. I know it’s because of the magnet location because when I pulled the magnet off and placed it over the sill at a certain place, it turns on then off when I wave the magnet away. So at least on my 2019, the template for magnet placement is wrong and there was no note of this item being year specific on the website.

Annoyingly, I have yet to find the correct placement on the door for the magnet despite considerable trial and error (pulling magnet off then resticking). Please let me know if any of you figure it out.

I bought these and just installed and cannot get it to light. I know it’s because of the magnet location because when I pulled the magnet off and placed it over the sill at a certain place, it turns on then off when I wave the magnet away. So at least on my 2019, the template for magnet placement is wrong and there was no note of this item being year specific on the website.

Annoyingly, I have yet to find the correct placement on the door for the magnet despite considerable trial and error (pulling magnet off then resticking). Please let me know if any of you figure it out

Annoyingly, I have yet to find the correct placement on the door for the magnet despite considerable trial and error (pulling magnet off then resticking). Please let me know if any of you figure it out.
In the video posted above, the youtuber mentions the template location didn't work for them either, and they show where to put it.

@katie3, Hope you find the right magnet location that works. Out of curiosity, when you removed your OEM sill plates, did you find as much adhesive underneath the plate as what Tesla Raj encountered on his 2018 built vehicle?
Thx — still couldn’t do it this morning despite confirming the location needed to activate the sensor on the sill plate by removing the magnet and waving it over the plate “freehand,” then mirroring that location on the door itself as best as possible. It’s crazy and I’ve also emailed Tesla about it. They should at least specify the model year for this product or send out the correct templates for the magnet.

To answer your question, I did find the same amount of adhesive under the original plate as Raj (a lot). I used a heat gun to soften it up, but it was still a pain to get it off. I just used my thumbs to push and roll the sticky stuff up, but had to do it so much that i got blisters on both thumbs!

Having said the above, if I can get it to work, it does look sweet lit up (I got the black one) and, for me, it will be worth the price.

• Informative
Reactions: GreenHokie