Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illuminated Door Sills - Tesla Shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got it to work!
FDE6B0AC-B672-41E1-A439-DE3A9369D557.jpeg

I have no idea how or why it started working. After starting yesterday at the template locations (again, paying attention to differences between left/right door placement), then making micro-adjustments in/out/front/back, I randomly settled on the placement of the magnets that work. I reattached the template to compare the correct placement to what the template says and… the correct placement is where the template placement is. This is so… Tesla.

If you watch Raj’s video, you can kind of sense his bewilderment in the magnet placement as well. This thing must somehow be sensitive to a millimeter or something. And my placement is not the same as what Raj showed in his video. Ultimately it’s where the template says to put it, maybe gove or take a millimeter?

View attachment 712476
I have no idea how or why it started working. After starting yesterday at the template locations (again, paying attention to differences between left/right door placement), then making micro-adjustments in/out/front/back, I randomly settled on the placement of the magnets that work. I reattached the template to compare the correct placement to what the template says and… the correct placement is where the template placement is. This is so… Tesla.

If you watch Raj’s video, you can kind of sense his bewilderment in the magnet placement as well. This thing must somehow be sensitive to a millimeter or something. And my placement is not the same as what Raj showed in his video. Ultimately it’s where the template says to put it, maybe gove or take a millimeter?
I called up Tesla and told them to activate it for you. You're welcome ;)

But seriously, $250 for a door sill and they can't even provide you with correct instructions?

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Jeeze these seem way over-complicated. I had a set of illuminated door sills on my previous car (Lexus CT200h). They snapped right into place where the original door sills were and were powered by tapping into the foot well lights. That way they turn on and off in sequence with the rest of the interior lighting of the car. No need for batteries, fancy magnet switches, or whatever.

Honestly I really wanted them bad on my CT but in the end they were more of a gimmick than anything that lost it's novelty pretty quickly.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Is that some damage below the sill plate to the bottom left or is that just some dirt/grime?

View attachment 712476

I bought these and just installed and cannot get it to light. I know it’s because of the magnet location because when I pulled the magnet off and placed it over the sill at a certain place, it turns on then off when I wave the magnet away. So at least on my 2019, the template for magnet placement is wrong and there was no note of this item being year specific on the website.

Annoyingly, I have yet to find the correct placement on the door for the magnet despite considerable trial and error (pulling magnet off then resticking). Please let me know if any of you figure it out.

I bought these and just installed and cannot get it to light. I know it’s because of the magnet location because when I pulled the magnet off and placed it over the sill at a certain place, it turns on then off when I wave the magnet away. So at least on my 2019, the template for magnet placement is wrong and there was no note of this item being year specific on the website.

Annoyingly, I have yet to find the correct placement on the door for the magnet despite considerable trial and error (pulling magnet off then resticking). Please let me know if any of you figure it out.
Same issue for me. Passenger side sill was flawless. Works perfectly. Driver-side install, light comes on every 3rd or 4th door-opening. I’ve double and triple-checked the magnet switch activator placement (via the provided template), and it’s exactly where it’s supposed to be. It’s almost like the magnet isn’t strong enough, or there’s a defect in the sill switch. I’m sure ordering a single drivers-side replacement will not be easy…

I installed them on my 2021. I will say that these sills are more solid and look nicer than the stock sills even without the illumination. Yeah, I had to move the magnets around a little from where the placement was supposed to be, but it wasn't too far off. Removing the old sills was incredibly easy. I'm thinking for the 2021 model, they used sticky tape and not the glue like older models. Are they worth $250? Maybe not. But I like them and that's all that matters.

Attachments

• C900B6AD-A19B-46F3-9174-91EAA9BA1603.jpeg
    C900B6AD-A19B-46F3-9174-91EAA9BA1603.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 126
I got these as a Christmas gift from my Dad (a Model Y owner). He purchased the silver ones for me, which I suspect are designed for the model years before 2021 when the trim was silver. I was going to exchange for black like my original sills, but in looking at the online pics I noticed they matched the performance pedals and other silver accents in the interior. I think it provides a great contrast and really makes them stand out!

Removal of the driver side sill was super easy, required almost no pressure and left very little residue, while the passenger side was a pain and took an hour to clean off afterwards. I was able to go slow and not bend the old sills at all, regardless they won’t ever be going back on. One other thing to note, on both sides removing the old sills pulled up the paint (area equivalent to a rock chip) but they are hidden by the new sills thankfully.

I only encountered one problem during my install. Pay really close attention when you install the magnets on the doors. One of the guides lines up towards the front of the door, and the other towards the rear. I screwed up the passenger side and had to yank the magnet, which required retaping. Both the driver and passenger sides worked flawlessly (once passenger was corrected) and I did not have to do any repositioning at all like others have mentioned.

Final note. You CAN change the batteries! The base of the unit where the tape is installed, snaps on the actual sill part with about a dozen small plastic tabs. I learned this when attempting to slightly reposition one side, the sill came up but not the tape part! In a panic and worried I broke it I snapped it back together before remembering to take a picture. Anyway battery replacement should be a simple procedure down the road, and will not require removing and reinstalling tape as some have suggested.

Anyway I’m really happy with the sills. They are high quality and look much better than the factory sills even without the lights on. The fact you can change the battery and you don’t have to mess with the car's wiring is a huge plus to me. They are pricey at $250, like most other Tesla accessories, but I’d consider them worth the cost, especially when they were purchased with someone else’s money! Excuse the dirty floor mats in the pictures.

IMG_3305.jpeg

IMG_3307.jpeg

Final note. You CAN change the batteries! The base of the unit where the tape is installed, snaps on the actual sill part with about a dozen small plastic tabs. I learned this when attempting to slightly reposition one side, the sill came up but not the tape part! In a panic and worried I broke it I snapped it back together before remembering to take a picture. Anyway battery replacement should be a simple procedure down the road, and will not require removing and reinstalling tape as some have suggested.

Looks good. Thanks for clarifying that the top piece can indeed be removed (to replace the batteries), while the bottom base plate is still attached/taped to the door sill. This may just push me over the edge to purchase one of these.

Out of curiosity, how do you actually remove the top piece? Do you just simply pull the top plate straight up? Or, do you have to push down on & slide the top piece to release it from the tabs, etc…? Love to see some photos of the top piece removed, if you get a chance.

Out of curiosity, how do you actually remove the top piece? Do you just simply pull the top plate straight up? Or, do you have to push down on & slide the top piece to release it from the tabs, etc…? Love to see some photos of the top piece removed, if you get a chance.

The new sills don't sit 100% flush w/ the painted part of the vehicle, like the factory sills do. There's a small gap (thickness of the tape) and you can use the little plastic pry bar that came with them to work them off.

I started on one side and just worked across, it kind of "unzipped" as I went along.

It did not damage the oil at all. Unfortunately I didn't;t stop to think to get a picture, and I'm not going to chance messing them up to get one at this stage. Maybe the next enterprising person who purchases a set will take them apart for some pics prior to instal.

Tim

Reactions: glink182
The new sills don't sit 100% flush w/ the painted part of the vehicle, like the factory sills do. There's a small gap (thickness of the tape) and you can use the little plastic pry bar that came with them to work them off.

I started on one side and just worked across, it kind of "unzipped" as I went along.

It did not damage the oil at all. Unfortunately I didn't;t stop to think to get a picture, and I'm not going to chance messing them up to get one at this stage. Maybe the next enterprising person who purchases a set will take them apart for some pics prior to instal.

Tim
OK. No worries. 👍
If I were in your shoes, I too would not want to remove/pry off the top plate unless it was absolutely necessary (like when it’s time to change the batteries). Sounds like there may be a slight risk to damage something during the removal process.

I said in another post, I bought the sills, black, directly from Tesla @ $250, installed them with a friend who mods and details expensive cars for a living, stereo work, etc. We followed the directions scrupulously. The magnets are so small with essentially no margin for even 1mm of error. Sometimes they work, mostly they don’t. I’m irritated about this.

I said in another post, I bought the sills, black, directly from Tesla @ $250, installed them with a friend who mods and details expensive cars for a living, stereo work, etc. We followed the directions scrupulously. The magnets are so small with essentially no margin for even 1mm of error. Sometimes they work, mostly they don’t. I’m irritated about this.
I know others reported something similar, someone might have found a solution.

On one door I put the magnet template on the wrong way, so it didn't work til I moved it around - but mine are rock solid and work every time. Maybe compare the magnet position on both doors and see if there's a difference?

• Helpful
Reactions: TBrownTX and Adam3