Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm a bit conflicted...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dare I say it...but I don't get supercharged about new superchargers anymore. Where it used to be super exciting to learn of a new location, now any new ones within 200 kms of toronto are just extra and not really filling a void anymore. Like bringing holy water to the Vatican.

A year ago it was not quite dicey but not quite comfortable either. Trips had to be planned...consumption had to be monitored...speed had to be managed. I'd bring 3 coats in case I had to turn off the heat to stretch a trip in the winter. I was always looking for nice big, aerodynamic looking trucks to slot in behind and lock on to at 108. You'd often have to use the dreaded 'Supercharger - Toronto' on your way through the city which meant almost certain disappointment with lineups, broken chargers with raccoons living in them, and generally a good dose of standstill DVP traffic .

Now I fly along with the heat blasting pretty much care free. I haven't been to Toronto in ages. When I hear about new superchargers opening up my thought process? An unappreciative 'GREAT, throw them on the pile out back!' . The more the merrier.

Speaking of the more the merrier...wonder if that will all change with the arrival of the spawn of Model S: the (seemingly innumerable) model 3.

Maybe I spoke too soon? Maybe soon we will be lining up at the 20 stall supercharger locations and complaining there aren't any 40 stall locations like Norway and California?

Either way this is the golden age of supercharging in the GTA. Virtually every Model S and X on the road here have free charging and more superchargers than we know what to do with in every direction from the city. Let's enjoy it and hope the future is even better.

Here's where having SuperChargers 50 KM (or less) apart STILL hits home....

I went from Toronto(ish) to South Carolina. No issues, easy planning....until, coming home, I got to Erie PA SC, and freezing rain started. This was the nasty April 15 winter storm. I easily had enough to get to Grimsby. 3 minutes into charging, Grimsby died - all of the stalls. I guess I killed it.....
I had just enough to get to Hamilton Lime Ridge.

A year prior, and I would have been stuck at a level 2 for 3 hours to get home.
....So I'm still very happy when a new Supercharger is discovered.

Choices

Dare I say it...but I don't get supercharged about new superchargers anymore. Where it used to be super exciting to learn of a new location, now any new ones within 200 kms of toronto are just extra and not really filling a void anymore. Like bringing holy water to the Vatican.

A year ago it was not quite dicey but not quite comfortable either. Trips had to be planned...consumption had to be monitored...speed had to be managed. I'd bring 3 coats in case I had to turn off the heat to stretch a trip in the winter. I was always looking for nice big, aerodynamic looking trucks to slot in behind and lock on to at 108. You'd often have to use the dreaded 'Supercharger - Toronto' on your way through the city which meant almost certain disappointment with lineups, broken chargers with raccoons living in them, and generally a good dose of standstill DVP traffic .

Now I fly along with the heat blasting pretty much care free. I haven't been to Toronto in ages. When I hear about new superchargers opening up my thought process? An unappreciative 'GREAT, throw them on the pile out back!' . The more the merrier.

Speaking of the more the merrier...wonder if that will all change with the arrival of the spawn of Model S: the (seemingly innumerable) model 3.

Maybe I spoke too soon? Maybe soon we will be lining up at the 20 stall supercharger locations and complaining there aren't any 40 stall locations like Norway and California?

Either way this is the golden age of supercharging in the GTA. Virtually every Model S and X on the road here have free charging and more superchargers than we know what to do with in every direction from the city. Let's enjoy it and hope the future is even better.
I'm really quite disappointed with this kind of talk. Elon took the concept of goofy looking ugly little short range EVs and made them into mainstream, attractive travelling machined that go a little outside the apron strings of the mother ship. If you just use your car for commuting or buying groceries, you should have bought an electric Smart Car.

If there is a Supercharger nearby that you don't want or need, please feel free to send it to Winnipeg or Regina.

My guess is that your ICE car is a Pontiac Aztek.

Reactions: Avronp

Now criticism is ok but a Pontiac Aztek..... that is just way too cruel man!

But I do see his point about the GTA chargers. The anxiety right now is pretty well gone about Supercharger access in that area. All my excitement is reserved for the greater build out into the rest of the country outside the southern Ontario and Quebec corridor.

I'm really quite disappointed with this kind of talk. Elon took the concept of goofy looking ugly little short range EVs and made them into mainstream, attractive travelling machined that go a little outside the apron strings of the mother ship. If you just use your car for commuting or buying groceries, you should have bought an electric Smart Car.

If there is a Supercharger nearby that you don't want or need, please feel free to send it to Winnipeg or Regina.

Not to answer on sakimano's behalf, but I think he was using a bit of 2nd degree to say how he was grateful not to have to deal with range anxiety anymore.

I for one sure feel that way as well.

The more, the merrier.

I actually agree with sakimano. When i see that we found a new Supercharger, I’m like Yay! even though I’m probably never gonna use it. I don’t know why I’m so pumped about finding an Orangeville Supercharger, but that’s probably cause I like hearing that there are more and more charging locations coming along. I don’t know Chuq is so pumped about this stuff. I mean, I love what he can find, and I encourage him to keep going, but, it’s not like Chuq is actually gonna use all the Superchargers he finds, and even the fact that he’s on own little island in Aussie with no Superchargers being on this network is quite surprising.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I still enjoy hearing of new superchargers because I think the supercharging network is the secret sauce on the Tesla burger. Having used the public DCFC chargers in ontario (admittedly only between Ottawa and Toronto) I have had less than a pleasant time with them. I am definitely looking forward to the seamless use of the supercharging network.

(1) Make trips possible: spacing is such that drivers are more likely to have to stop at every Supercharger
(2) Making trips easy: spacing is more dense, so drivers can simply stop when they get low on range.e
(3) Add capacity: Superchargers that avoid wait times and provide urban charging

I understand. I find (1) most exciting, (2) exciting and (3) unexciting. But I'm an owner-occupier of a house in a small city with off-street parking who doesn't own a Tesla (yet). I know that (3) is important, but it doesn't feel like it makes as much difference..

My guess is your have a terrible sense of humour?

• Funny
Reactions: XHabjab
Not to answer on sakimano's behalf, but I think he was using a bit of 2nd degree to say how he was grateful not to have to deal with range anxiety anymore.

I for one sure feel that way as well.

The more, the merrier.
Correct, and having some fun

This clip from the three amigos sums it up.

Superchargers = the water

The prairies and Manitoba = Steve Martin

The East coast = Martin Short

Greater Toronto Area = Chevy Chase's character.

And with all of the M3 cars “flooding the market”, the more the merrier may be become “the more, the more needed”.
I've been pondering on this for a while.

I don't expect M3 users to be (in general) as heavy users as S and X owners, of the Superchargers. For the simple reason that Supercharging won't be free.

If we assume in about 12 months from now there are more M3s on the road than MS and MX together, (in Canada) that would equate to an increase in SC usage of what- 60-70%? (50% coming from M3 and 15-20% from added MS/MX)

Then you multiply with that factor at least every year to maybe even 6 months?

So yeah, current 401 and HWY 20 expansion won't be too much you can bank on that.

I'm still looking forward new SC that opens new roads. There's a difference between the more significant number of SC around let's say toronto (or montreal or any big city) that are laid out to answer the rising number of vehicles going around those spots and a new supercharger opening the way to the maritimes for example. I can now say : let's take a vacation to NB, we can get there easily in SC.

When people asks about electric car ranges, you can now say that the teslas can go further, faster and easier than before.

But you got to take in account that 5 years ago, there were no superchargers. That's a relatively short period to get so many SC sites. What will it look like in 5 years from today will be incredible. Evolution of the Tesla Supercharger Network | CleanTechnica

• Informative
Reactions: XHabjab

My guess is that you’re from Belleville?