Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Im a new owner - Any Tips please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla Owners. Im the new owner of a Model 3 Performance with the full Auto self drive and premium connectivity. It a 2019 model in white with the larger 20" gun metal wheels and de-chromed in gloss black. She's nice.

Any way have you any tips n tricks for initial set up, any upgrades that need buying and if so where from (im in Bedford UK), and any best practices;
Also, im struggling to find the heated seats for the rear. Do the car have them or not?

Any help advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There is nothing you have to do except wax the car and rotate the tires, I had my brakes cleaned and lubricated at my last tire rotation (Tesla did it in my driveway) but I live in New England where we salt the roads, if they don't salt the roads in Old England where you live that's less critical. Charge the car to 80% for everyday use, you can bump it to 90% for roadtrips. Those levels will maximize your battery life.

Reactions: KJD
There is nothing you have to do except wax the car and rotate the tires, I had my brakes cleaned and lubricated at my last tire rotation (Tesla did it in my driveway) but I live in New England where we salt the roads, if they don't salt the roads in Old England where you live that's less critical. Charge the car to 80% for everyday use, you can bump it to 90% for roadtrips. Those levels will maximize your battery life.
Good advice thanks. And range with a 80 and 90% charge. Normal driving.?

Good advice thanks. And range with a 80 and 90% charge. Normal driving.?

Welcome to TMC,

There is a separate (very very very very long) thread specifically about range, etc on these cars. Please post any range questions in that thread:

As for your thread title, the forum software recommends related threads at the bottom of your post, but here are a few with a similar question, that I found by searching for "new owner" in the model 3 section.

There are more, if you want, you can search for the same search term and find more if these dont cover what you are looking for.

If you are looking for UK specific information, there is a subforum here on TMC that is specifically for that region:

Hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
There is an approximation of your range shown on the display, you can switch between range or percentage by tapping on the number. A much better range figure is on the energy screen, that number is based on your actual driving as opposed the the EPA, for us, or WLTP, for you. I have a 2019 AWD, it's range is down to about 280 vs 310 when new, 80% of 280 is 224. Assuming you have home charging then you won't need anything like 224 for daily driving, it's more likely to be 50 or 60 miles. Even for local area driving it's not going to be anything like 200 miles, for me a round trip to Boston is 100 miles, to Portsmouth NH it's 125 miles. Use A Better Route Planner or Google Maps to figure out how far you need to drive in your local metropolitan area. I did a quick check of Bedford to London, it's 60 miles so 120 miles round trip, not a problem at 80%. If you are driving to Scotland then you might want to charge to 90%, which is still fine for the battery, that will give you some flexibility about which Superchargers you stop at.
For road trips use A Better Route Planner to plan your stops. I do weekly road trips around New England of 300-400 miles, I doubt that's even possible in the UK. Supercharging doesn't add any time to those trips because the distance between stops is governed by bladder size not battery size. When traveling you don't top up the battery the way you would a gas tank, you only need enough to get you to the next stop. Our stops tend to be around 15 minutes which is the time it takes to walk to the bathroom, do our business, maybe grab a donut or a candy bar as a courtesy to the store that has the bathroom, and walk back. That's enough to add about 120-150 miles of range.

Can I make the sat nav screen - full screen and get rid of the side that shows the autopilot drive ect, and just have a full screen?
Are there any permanence mods that you guys do - I have the performance edition.
Can you watch the TV/Netfilx whilst driving? Any ideas how to achieve this. Kids hate to when I pull away
Thanks - appologies for the questions. Im sure im going to have many more - thanks

Can I make the sat nav screen - full screen and get rid of the side that shows the autopilot drive ect, and just have a full screen?
Are there any permanence mods that you guys do - I have the performance edition.
Can you watch the TV/Netfilx whilst driving? Any ideas how to achieve this. Kids hate to when I pull away
Thanks - appologies for the questions. Im sure im going to have many more - thanks
The answer to your first question is "no". You can't alter or edit the screen. There has been talk about being able to do that for some time now but, so far, no good.
For good reason, you can't watch Netflix, etc while driving...only when you are parked.

No, you can't customize the screen. There have been rumors about screen customization in the future but it hasn't happened yet.

1. Can I make the sat nav screen - full screen and get rid of the side that shows the autopilot drive ect, and just have a full screen?
2. Are there any permanence mods that you guys do - I have the performance edition.
3. Can you watch the TV/Netfilx whilst driving? Any ideas how to achieve this. Kids hate to when I pull away

1. No, the screen is not customizable. I wouldnt hold my breath for this feature, either.
2. Some people change suspension, or tires. Other than shedding weight in the car there are not "speed" mods for a 3 performance
3. No, not possible and dont expect it to be in the future. Get a tablet for them for that.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Are you sure you are also the owner of the FSD?

FSD transfers for third party sales. Tesla can choose to remove it if the car passes through their hands because they are the owner of the car for a while, removing it from a car they don't own would be grand theft.

Mmm interesting. I didn’t get it from a Tesla official dealer so it hasn’t passed through there hands. The car shows full self drive. How do I actually know if it has full self drive when I drive it then? What should it do or shall I be looking for?

Mmm interesting. I didn’t get it from a Tesla official dealer so it hasn’t passed through there hands. The car shows full self drive. How do I actually know if it has full self drive when I drive it then? What should it do or shall I be looking for?
If it shows FSD you have FSD, it should also appear in you Tesla account, look under details. To engage it FSD press the stalk down twice.