Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm a Production, and here's my story (Sublimaze1 - P188)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I mention that my wife now wants an "X" - I am all for that. She wants to wait until the supercharging stations get built in the DFW-HOU-SAT region (that's where our long jaunts will be). But I caught her scanning the Teslamotors.com site and then with a smirk and a smile states "I really like this X thing"

We may be a two Tesla family sooner than I thought.

Yup. Happening in my house as well.

Awesome looking car. Congratulations. We just got the news that our Blue S is built. Papers are signed and the purchase will be finalized tomorrow. I sure hope all available truckers are converging on Freemont to get these babies delivered. :)

We need to set up a little drag race to test your acceleration as soon as my blue baby arrives.

Andy

One week into it (warning: not proofread, written in spurts, and probably flows like Pulp Fiction)

Here goes:
I will start with some of the quirks, as I find that such posting is what I seek. I had an issue with the USB drive I was using. It had to do with the fact that I was using a micro SD and a very miniature micro SD USB card reader (trying to keep the size down). I switched to a more reliable reader (the EyeFi reader I had laying around) and it worked just fine. I have noticed that some of the songs are not read if they are in folders. Still working on that.
After getting the car inspected, the car would not start for about two minutes and I had the red bar that stated “wait for screen” or “wait for touchscreen” – can’t remember. In any case, I waited and the screen came up but was frozen. The car then would move, but while rolling, I held the two scroll wheels down for 15 seconds. Released. 30 seconds later, the “T” came up and the screen rebooted. Odd.
We had Ice on Monday morning. Ice in Texas, I know … well, it is December. BadA** handled it very well. No Traction Control issues at all. Maybe it was not slippery enough.
I am only getting 237-241 miles range per charge. I read that this is not unusual until we cycle a few times, so I am not getting my knickers all in a wad just yet.

I have found myself playing a little game called “see if you can judge the regenerative brake stopping so that you can avoid using the brake pedal until the last moment” – it is somewhat enjoyable, but a bit distracting in thick traffic. I play this game only when I am relatively clear of traffic. I figure I may never need to change my brake pads – ever (wishful thinking).

My whole issue with thinking I had a Perf is pretty much gone. The car is quick, but not Bat _ _ _ _ quick, so I guess I will just have to deal with what I bought. Novel, huh? I did, however, take four of us grown men for a lunch spin on Monday. Me (225#), John (320), Tony (190) and Antonio (215) – so about a half ton of payload – and I noticed a few things. Of course it is not as quick (weight is a penalty) but the regenerative braking is less noticeable when trying to bring us all to a halt.

I have also noticed that my vehicle is still being “built” as per MyTesla website. Kinda odd, but – whatever. I have condensation in my right rear taillight assembly (the back up light in particular). A friend of mine here in Dallas has the same problem and he stated that the Tesla rep simply shrugged it off and moved to another issue. As we don’t get rain here (much, anyway), I surmise it was from the deluge that San Fran area got over the first weekend in December. If anyone else can shed some light on this, I would be grateful. Apparently a Ranger visit is $100 – even with the warranty issues. So I have to decide how to handle this. I may wait until the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] row seats are delivered.

Regenerative braking again: It was 25-31 degrees over the Monday night - Tuesday am and regenerative was certainly affected. On the way home from work, it started at the 13-15 line and by the time I got home (25 miles or 30 minutes later) it still had not gotten back to its full capacity. In the morning, as I left the garage, it was at about 35 or so, and made it to full less than half the way to work. This was at 6am, while it was 25 outside.

Ambient lighting: I have a buzz with the ambient lighting. Not noticed while driving, but certainly while still and with music off, which is where I want to use the ambient most often (e.g. garage and evening when getting in the car). I have heard others have this problem, so I am cautiously optimistic that it will receive a fix.

HA! First fight over the Tesla occurred last night (Tuesday night). Diana and I decided that I would take the truck to pick up some furniture today (store is near my work) and she would have use of BadA**. Well, I changed my mind. Lemme splain: on Sunday, we decided to tool around with the kids in the back seat (third seats had not arrived) and, as such, had to install the car seats – which, as many of you know, is not a simple feat in the car. This is mainly due to the fact that I am not as nimble as I used to be, and the latches for the seat belt (they use boosters) is hidden by the seat itself. I am worried about the plastic on the car seat marring, ripping, shredding, whatever the leather. We put a towel under them, but you still run the risk of the plastic rubbing the wrong way when you are trying to slide that thing over to find the buckle. So I just said “nope” – not gonna do it. Now these are her kids, not mine (mine drive the car, hers ride in it) and I probably touched a nerve by saying they weren’t going in the car again until the third row arrives. She thought about it, and agreed that a $1K leather repair job was not worth it – so argument ended.

Did anyone recognize that they put a diffuser on the back? I just noticed it while looking at the back of the car. I was curious (having seen so many Sig Performances on the forums) that the car would look – well – unfinished, or naked without the rear spoiler. I can now say that it looks perfectly fabulous without one and I would even go as far as to say that it is an option that I would have left out, had I been forced to make that decision.

Wednesday AM I had a few observations that I would like to share. I was trying to run the battery down to single digits, but came back to the car to find it plugged in (Diana did so), so I will restart the running down again today – but it was, again, quite chilly and I had my corduroy jacket on (no, I am not developmentally delayed). The car sensed the key to let me unplug and get in, but it did not sense it inside when I sat down. Odd. I also had a can of Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi in that same pocket – maybe it’s the aspartame. Also, it seems that everytime the car is accessed (for lack of a better term) the USB stick gets rescanned/reinitialized. I wonder if there will be a software update that will only do so once the memory stick has been removed. It takes a little while when you have 7-10K songs. Also, my full charge today was 236. Again, I am hoping a few cycles will help increase that range.

Also, it seems that from time to time, I get this unavoidable urge to take the car from a measly 40mph to somewhere double plus that just – because. It usually occurs in thin traffic where the person in front of me is driving at a pace that I consider to be unfair to the battery pack. As such, I look far ahead and rule out any obstacles (including a quick lane change from grandma) and I launch forward a bit. It is too fun not to go, and I make my point in seconds, but the grin lasts for much longer.

I guess that is about it for a week update – the first week I have owned this car. By far the best car I have ever owned: hands down - even if I didn't get a Performance by mistake.

sublimaze1:
I have found myself playing a little game called “see if you can judge the regenerative brake stopping so that you can avoid using the brake pedal until the last moment” – it is somewhat enjoyable, but a bit distracting in thick traffic. I play this game only when I am relatively clear of traffic. I figure I may never need to change my brake pads – ever (wishful thinking)

It has become an obsession to make it on an outing without ever using the brake pedal. Understand in may be made an Olympic sport in 2014.

I have also noticed that my vehicle is still being “built” as per MyTesla website. Kinda odd, but – whatever.

Mine changed to "Delivered" within a couple of days of delivery. Maybe factory delivery is easier for them to note.

Regenerative braking again: It was 25-31 degrees over the Monday night - Tuesday am and regenerative was certainly affected. On the way home from work, it started at the 13-15 line and by the time I got home (25 miles or 30 minutes later) it still had not gotten back to its full capacity. In the morning, as I left the garage, it was at about 35 or so, and made it to full less than half the way to work. This was at 6am, while it was 25 outside.

Unclear on what the "13-15 line" is.

Ambient lighting: I have a buzz with the ambient lighting. Not noticed while driving, but certainly while still and with music off, which is where I want to use the ambient most often (e.g. garage and evening when getting in the car). I have heard others have this problem, so I am cautiously optimistic that it will receive a fix.

I've never noticed this. But I'm hearing challenged, always have been. Back when you actually had to tune a radio, I'd drive people batty as I'd be oblivious to high pitch squealing when not properly tuned.

HA! First fight over the Tesla occurred last night

My OWMBO has yet to drive Tess. Wants no part of her...yet. Waiting until we decamp to Arizona in a couple of weeks. Less traffic.

Did anyone recognize that they put a diffuser on the back?

You mean the body flare along the leading edge of the Trunk?

Also, my full charge today was 236. Again, I am hoping a few cycles will help increase that range.

I have varied between 238 and 240, consistently from the beginning. Seems normal to me.

Also, it seems that from time to time, I get this unavoidable urge to take the car from a measly 40mph to somewhere double plus that just – because. It usually occurs in thin traffic where the person in front of me is driving at a pace that I consider to be unfair to the battery pack. As such, I look far ahead and rule out any obstacles (including a quick lane change from grandma) and I launch forward a bit. It is too fun not to go, and I make my point in seconds, but the grin lasts for much longer.

Another candidate for an Olympic sport.

By far the best car I have ever owned: hands down

I'm right there with you!

Unclear on what the "13-15 line" is.

With cold re-gen, the 60 is never reached, because of the orange/yellow dotted line. it is at 13-15 kw.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you trying to run the range down to single digits? Just curious.

Another olympic sport :)

Good review.

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

2010-Enco-Gladiator-700-Porsche-Cayenne-GT-Biturbo-Rear-Diffuser-1280x960.jpg

No - this is a diffuser. It encourages molecules of air to spread out (for lack of a better term) but whilst maintaining the same number (e.g. drops density) thus creating downforce.

With cold re-gen, the 60 is never reached, because of the orange/yellow dotted line. it is at 13-15 kw.
Another olympic sport :)
Thank you.

No - this is a diffuser. It encourages molecules of air to spread out (for lack of a better term) but whilst maintaining the same number (e.g. drops density) thus creating downforce.

Ummm errrr I think I found your diffuser problem... That's not a tesla. they may have delivered you a porsche.

I chickened out.

As some may have been following, I was planning on removing the front nose cone sections to see if there is user serviceable space behind it to mount my tolltag (EZpass, etc.) - Other than the posts that show the small section removed for the 12V positive terminal access, I was reluctant to pry on that plastic. I am not aware of what tabs are behind my generation of nose plastic, and I retain the right NOT to be the first person to call a Ranger for cracking one's nose cone.

The small portion that hides the battery terminal seems to be the correct size for the black bar (the type that the toll company gives you if you have a BMW 7 series with the non-penetrative window) that goes on the front license plate area. The black bar can be zip tied or even bolted to the metal. However, I am not desiring of a mistake to be made by a non-mechanic. I will leave such details to someone else.

The small portion that hides the battery terminal seems to be the correct size for the black bar (the type that the toll company gives you if you have a BMW 7 series with the non-penetrative window) that goes on the front license plate area. The black bar can be zip tied or even bolted to the metal. However, I am not desiring of a mistake to be made by a non-mechanic. I will leave such details to someone else.

I don't blame you. I am also a big believer in not handing a screwdriver to a software person (or a patch to a hardware guy for that matter).

However, if you must, follow this principle: If it's hard you're doing it wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 12945

Yes that is a rear air diffuser. It uses the Venturi effect to suck the car towards the ground the faster you go. It basically takes up the whole lower portion of the Enzo's bumper, while it's more subtle on the S.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355671952498.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355671952498.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 952
  • uploadfromtaptalk1355671966991.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355671966991.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 945
Week two is complete:

Not a great deal to speak of … I did wear the battery down to single digits. I will not do that again. I am not built for range anxiety. I took the car downtown for work with 139 miles on it. Seems that (as we all know) 80 mph drains her quite rapidly, and the cold whipping wind doesn’t help the battery storage. I popped in for the 39 mile ride back with 44 rated, 38 projected. It is very true that if you use the access road, instead of the toll road, and drive 25 mph, you recoup some energy that the computer had assumed you would chug at 80mph. Again, I shall not err twice.

In this stellar brain-flatus event, I decided to drive by the Dallas Service Center to see if they had some juice. They probably would have, if they were open yet. Looks nice. Just very very dark inside. Maybe next week.

BadA** has about 800 miles on her and we are certainly using her as our primary mode of transportation. I, when working, and Diana when she sneaks it out of the garage. Her primary is a Nissan Armada and the mass child and adolescent transport vehicle for now. It also tows a tandem trailer from the pasture when I need it. You may recall (or not care) that I sold my King Ranch to a work buddy and miss it badly. F350 is on the way, as Di has committed to the Model X.

The little ones have enjoyed the booster seats in the back, and I will be glad to get rid of them once the third row comes. They are easily stowed in the frunk with some sweats, the front license plate and its bracket. I have decided that the frunk is not a daily storage area, as opening and closing the lid reminds me of an old Italian car that I had that was easy to disfigure if you slammed it against something stowed on top of the spare. Do not err twice seems to be the theme of this missive.

I still am in awe of the functionality of this beast, even with the refinements and hyper-technology. I have some complaints about little things like USB shuffle, and the ambient light buzz, but I am sure that a software update will fix the former and I will adapt to the latter – but the car still turns heads almost everywhere. I have learned to lip read, or at least the formation of the word “Tesla” in nearby admirers. Sadly, I have also learned the word “Maserati”

We took her out to Princeton to Isabelle’s horse show on Saturday. I was a bit concerned that we would need some off road capability; however, we stopped at an intersection, hit the highest ride height possible, and I never thought again about it. Personally, I have gotten over the stone chip, parking lot, door ding, scuff-em-up issues that so frequently plague those with premium vehicles. I have found that it is much more relaxing to operate it in this manner. Certainly, I am not saying that I am careless (the two youngest ones can’t drink or eat in the back and the oldest one drives only with complete focus and accompaniment). But I do loosen the collar more so than I have in the past.

Still no real hard data on energy use (from the electricity provider) but I am assuming the 80-89mpgE and the $10 per full range charge, or at 800 miles (minus the delivery miles) roughly $25-30. The King Ranch was $110 a fill and I did that two to three times a month.

I am learning where some of the gratis chargers are in the area and may be altering some of my shopping habits, eating habits, etc. to help aid in my quest for monetary bragging rights. A dude at work has a Volt and he has been helpful. I am waiting on my Blink® card in the mail, and I may do chargepoint at sometime in the future. I guess this is all part of my range anxiety experience in paragraph one. I most certainly am plugging it in each night – as recommended.

I am also looking for a Bluetooth 8-Track Player to mount in the cubby, if anyone has any suggestions. Need to get those Fifth Dimension and Bachman Turner Overdrive Tapes back into action.

View attachment 13649
Week 3 - another milestone.

I simply love this car ....
Hey, Texas homeboy. Have a look at what I was looking at as I pulled in to my garage in Tucson, after a 1,000 mile, 3 day trip from Northern California. Great fun, however, and met lots of nice Tesla folk, Tesla employed, and otherwise.
WLHip_121229_007.jpg
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

napabill's post reminds me:
Do we know the lower limit speed for cruise control on the Model S (with any of the released firmware versions)?

When I first got the S at the end of September I checked this and found the cruise control would engage starting at 20 mph and above. Haven't tried it again following any of the several software updates.