Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm about to join the Tesla family! CPO Unicorn S P100DL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its literally the coolest sexiest car ever. There is no way I'd leave my newly acquired car to be boxed up and transported but circumstances might dictate. EAP, especially v9, is something to behold on highways. If they had released drive on nav with unconfirmed lane changes, you'd be hard pressed to get that tired doing the drive in one big go. Even with 2018.10.4, my last 800 mile (each way) road trip was no biggie to do as one big leg each way. Charging stops are well spaced with the supercharger network (you'll be able to recharge while your car does the same), you've got plenty of range with a 100kwh battery, and you'll supercharge faster than I can. Drive for 3 hours, charge for 35 minutes. Repeat until you're getting tired. You do not want to fall asleep and trust EAP with your life, so its good you have the luxury of breaking up the trip into more than a day. I think you'll be surprised that you aren't getting as tired (mentally) as you thought. Not having to think about staying between the lane lines and maintaining distance between cars on a highway (or lane changing to pass traffic) plus the infotainment capabilities makes for relaxing, less fatiguing travel.

Then again, I'd definitely spend some time getting used to the car as well. This is a beast of a car (which you might be accustomed to) but it is different. It has instant torque. It regeneratively brakes. It does not move (with creep mode off) unless you command it to. The accelerator is nearly linear, so you can command it to gently go forward with a slight push or fly off the rails with a hammer. I think after 10 minutes you'll get the hang of it. Definitely read the owner's manual two or three times while you fly in. Good luck either way, it seems like a great car at a great price.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I really do appreciate it! I never thought about the drive that way...the car will be doing most of the driving anyways. I think you convinced me, thank you! It'd be nice to save a few grand on shipping too haha. I'll put that money saved towards accessories :)

@BuffNerd I am in a similar situation. Picking up Tues morn (23rd) and driving back same day 14+ hours so I can go to work the next morning. Hopefully I can pick up a friend along the way..if not, its just me and AP. Definitely need that beer tho and I dont even drink lol

Man that's rough going into work the next day. I once made a roadtrip to Los Angeles and back (to Louisiana) and barely made to town in time for work. That was a loooong day haha. Congrats on the car, hope your trip is safe and enjoyable :D

Sounds good except for the vent seats. The only vent seats that work sort of good are the ones made in the past 6 months or so. They stopped making vent seats shortly after making your car in both model s and x, due to complaints of them not really working. My wife has them in her Model X which is a 2016. They do absolutely nothing. We have a few other cars that have this feature and we know the difference. I just traded my 2015 model S for a 2018 and when looking at demo cars they mentioned after a certain vin number production date is when the vent seats were brought back into production and work a lot better. I would say they do work much better than in my wifes car but not nearly as good as some other car manuf.
Otherwise you will love the car. Enjoy

What can I say, you are spending 100K on something you have not seen.Pretty great isn't it?:D[/QUOTE
Sounds good except for the vent seats. The only vent seats that work sort of good are the ones made in the past 6 months or so. They stopped making vent seats shortly after making your car in both model s and x, due to complaints of them not really working. My wife has them in her Model X which is a 2016. They do absolutely nothing. We have a few other cars that have this feature and we know the difference. I just traded my 2015 model S for a 2018 and when looking at demo cars they mentioned after a certain vin number production date is when the vent seats were brought back into production and work a lot better. I would say they do work much better than in my wifes car but not nearly as good as some other car manuf.
Otherwise you will love the car. Enjoy

I’ve had vent seats on multiple cars (Lexus/Toyota, BMW) and have never felt they did much if anything. Your body effectively blocks the vents unless you lean forward to allow some airflow.

@BuffNerd congrats on the new purchase. I was in the same boat, excited and nervous all at the same time! My story ended well so stay optimistic.

Your main focus should be on cosmetic concerns. I had a crack in my windshield which they offered to fix before I asked. Any curb rash or paint chips (even body damage), they will not fix as the car is sold as is. Any mechanical issues should be covered under warranty and I was not allowed the chance to test drive mine (I know, crazy , right?) so that was the one leap of faith I had to make.

They will send you a Carfax report but no service records.

Good luck and post your final results and experience!

Reactions: BuffNerd
Just an update guys. Wow. It was a perfect day and the car was immaculate! I also found out that it had a feature not mentioned (bio-hazard filtration). I could not be happier! The drive was exhilarating to say the least. There were some long stretches of freeway late at night through Texas...and I hurt some muscle cars feelings on the way home;) I've owned Corvettes in the past and nothing I've ever driven can compare to this marvel of engineering. I could not believe how luxurious and comfortable the gen 3 seats are, even driving 10+ hours. Thank you to all of you for your input, especially to those who convinced me to drive her home. I'm in LOVE. Meet Elise
elise.jpg

Just an update guys. Wow. It was a perfect day and the car was immaculate! I also found out that it had a feature not mentioned (bio-hazard filtration). I could not be happier! The drive was exhilarating to say the least. There were some long stretches of freeway late at night through Texas...and I hurt some muscle cars feelings on the way home;) I've owned Corvettes in the past and nothing I've ever driven can compare to this marvel of engineering. I could not believe how luxurious and comfortable the gen 3 seats are, even driving 10+ hours. Thank you to all of you for your input, especially to those who convinced me to drive her home. I'm in LOVE. Meet EliseView attachment 348473

Congrats!! Enjoy and keep the Tesla Grin:D!!!!

Just an update guys. Wow. It was a perfect day and the car was immaculate! I also found out that it had a feature not mentioned (bio-hazard filtration). I could not be happier! The drive was exhilarating to say the least. There were some long stretches of freeway late at night through Texas...and I hurt some muscle cars feelings on the way home;) I've owned Corvettes in the past and nothing I've ever driven can compare to this marvel of engineering. I could not believe how luxurious and comfortable the gen 3 seats are, even driving 10+ hours. Thank you to all of you for your input, especially to those who convinced me to drive her home. I'm in LOVE. Meet EliseView attachment 348473

Awesome! Congrats and enjoy! Glad to hear another CPO story with a happy ending.

I am trading in my fully loaded 2500HD Diesel for a Model S P100dL! I live in Louisiana, so ventilated seats are very important to prevent "swamp butt" :p I think I may have found a unicorn! I am flying to Chicago, and driving back. What is the opinion on this? I was given fairly detailed photos. It seems Tesla representatives are overwhelmed right now with orders (both new and used). Feeling pretty excited about this one, but slightly hesitant at the same time to essentially buy a car sight unseen

- P100DL
- 11/2016 build with EAP and FSD
- unlimited supercharging
- Ventilated seats
- Every option but 21" wheels (I like the look of the 21", but I have read that owners prefer the ride and range gain of the 19") and Biohazard Filter
-24K miles

$90,200

I think its a pretty good deal.

Anything I should be wary of when I pick up? Known issues? Thank you all!!!

Good Morning BuffNerd, I was the guy at Westmont in that delivery bay area sitting across from you on the high top. Glad to hear you made it back to Louisiana. I made it out of there (finally) by 6:30 PM (CST) after a mix-up with my paperwork. Congrats again... what a beast of a car!

Congrats! Looks awesome!

Good Morning BuffNerd, I was the guy at Westmont in that delivery bay area sitting across from you on the high top. Glad to hear you made it back to Louisiana. I made it out of there (finally) by 6:30 PM (CST) after a mix-up with my paperwork. Congrats again... what a beast of a car!

Glad to hear everything worked out for you as well! Congratulations! It was a long day, but well worth it!

Be careful not to get into any sort of accident because the parts take forever to come in, I hit a curb to avoid getting hit and and I'm told my car might take 6 months to get fixed due to a part being on back order. I only owned the car for 1 month, Debating on selling it when I get it back.

Be careful not to get into any sort of accident because the parts take forever to come in, I hit a curb to avoid getting hit and and I'm told my car might take 6 months to get fixed due to a part being on back order. I only owned the car for 1 month, Debating on selling it when I get it back.

You have 3 forum posts ever and they are ALL this same sob story that it "might take 6 months"...if you spent 1/2 as much time trying to find the part, you might already be back in your car. Sorry for your accident, but be THANKFUL you are driving one of the safest cars on the road and still alive to complain. Update your insurance to include rental coverage and get on with enjoying the Tesla. I had a Cayenne that ACTUALLY took 6 months to repair a minor accident and it was at worst mildly annoying. Good luck!

Last edited: