Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm an idiot - Homelink

teskari

Jan 20, 2021
Denver
My homelink arrived today, in a tiny box with a big 'ol sticker saying DO NOT OPEN. Of course, I paid zero attention to this and opened it, scanning the label and screaming expletives at myself the knife had just finished cutting through the label.

Anyone else accidentally opened theirs? Am I effed? Or did the tech let it slide? Not sure if I could call or just pea to the installer at arrival.

iamnid

Dec 4, 2019
Riverside, CA
I seem to recall others who have done the same thing and the technician has installed it anyway. I think they just want to make sure you didn't get it from Ebay etc. I'm sure if you have the box still and they see it's from Tesla, they'll install it. There was even a thread where the poster installed one from Ebay and got the technician to update the software so it will work, so I'd be pretty optimistic that you can get yours installed.

vtplm

May 9, 2018
Irvine, CA
Haha I didn't even notice the sticker. I opened it to check it out. They installed it for me a couple days ago while I was at the service center to address other issues.

AKAWally

Dec 9, 2020
My homelink arrived today, in a tiny box with a big 'ol sticker saying DO NOT OPEN. Of course, I paid zero attention to this and opened it, scanning the label and screaming expletives at myself the knife had just finished cutting through the label.

Anyone else accidentally opened theirs? Am I effed? Or did the tech let it slide? Not sure if I could call or just pea to the installer at arrival.

I opened mine, just out of curiosity. The techs at my service center didn't care, they just installed it. It took the five minutes - I didn't need an appointment and they didn't charge me for the install.

TomServo

Apr 10, 2014
Belleville IL
A buddy bought a “used one” from a local owner, and the tech refused to install it. Now if you face a similar fate what do you do with the device. Good luck.

GTIgus

Jan 23, 2021
Poulsbo, WA
Yeah I did the same thing as OP. Home business that receives probably 3-10 smallish boxes delivered per day. I have no reason to NOT open a box delivered to me, so I naturally just dug in to see what it was. Then I remembered I am supposed to look out for this one… Uh-oh! Seems like general consensus is that they will install anyway as long as you can reasonably prove you purchased it new from Tesla. Seriously though, my $24K VW had this built in from the factory as does my 2007 Subaru outback. An extra $300 on top of my MYP seems ridiculous!

Reactions: StarLog

steve86

Jun 4, 2020
SoCal
When I had the tech install mine, he said he didn't care if it was new or used. It just depends on the tech doing the install. Full disclosure he was installing a new one for me.

jeffbco

Jun 7, 2020
Austin, TX
"Do not tamper with the package or installation will be voided" - I took the position that opening the box was not tampering...and BTW what does "installation will be voided" mean? Don't worry about it, it will be a non-issue.

73Bruin

Nov 7, 2020
Torrance, CA
If I may suggest instead of the homelink for $ 300, consider this option. I installed in 15 minutes and now can open my door using siri as I approach my home. $23.99
Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener Wireless Garage Door Remote, Open and Close Garage Door from Anywhere, Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072SFDKDH

That only works if your live in a single family home with no other gates to open. Not so hot for other situations (e.g. condo or apartment, a gate community, or need an opener for work). Clearly the homelink is a luxury solution as multi-button remotes can handle most of these.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr. Michael

ArtK

Jun 1, 2020
NYS

No worries...I hear that Gorilla Glue is the perfect solution for almost any problem :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: CapsEngineer

AlexParker

Aug 5, 2020
Denver, CO
If I may suggest instead of the homelink for $ 300, consider this option. I installed in 15 minutes and now can open my door using siri as I approach my home. $23.99
Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener Wireless Garage Door Remote, Open and Close Garage Door from Anywhere, Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072SFDKDH

I've got Homebridge/MyQ working pretty well - but the reason for me to get HomeLink is when it doesn't work - its a PITA. Second, my barn is too far away from any wifi. I do wish the Tesla came with it though. Had to buy two.

Reactions: CapsEngineer

jeffbco

Jun 7, 2020
Austin, TX
I find the entire Homelink issue to be an interesting discussion. If the MSRP of the MY were increased $300 and Homelink was standard equipment think of all the discussions that would disappear.

Reactions: patnshan

SDM44

Aug 9, 2019
Los Angeles
When I bought the Homelink for my Model 3 about 10 months ago, I didn't open the box. When the tech came over to do the install (home install), he was actually surprised that I didn't open the box to take a look at it.

He said most people open the box to check it out, but he's able to tell if it's a new part from Tesla or a used part. Plus, they can reference the invoice for it and match the tracking number on the box. However, that was the tech working on my car. Maybe other techs may feel different about the situation.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC