Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm an idiot - Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My homelink arrived today, in a tiny box with a big 'ol sticker saying DO NOT OPEN. Of course, I paid zero attention to this and opened it, scanning the label and screaming expletives at myself the knife had just finished cutting through the label.

Anyone else accidentally opened theirs? Am I effed? Or did the tech let it slide? Not sure if I could call or just pea to the installer at arrival.

I seem to recall others who have done the same thing and the technician has installed it anyway. I think they just want to make sure you didn't get it from Ebay etc. I'm sure if you have the box still and they see it's from Tesla, they'll install it. There was even a thread where the poster installed one from Ebay and got the technician to update the software so it will work, so I'd be pretty optimistic that you can get yours installed.

My homelink arrived today, in a tiny box with a big 'ol sticker saying DO NOT OPEN. Of course, I paid zero attention to this and opened it, scanning the label and screaming expletives at myself the knife had just finished cutting through the label.

Anyone else accidentally opened theirs? Am I effed? Or did the tech let it slide? Not sure if I could call or just pea to the installer at arrival.

I opened mine, just out of curiosity. The techs at my service center didn't care, they just installed it. It took the five minutes - I didn't need an appointment and they didn't charge me for the install.

Yeah I did the same thing as OP. Home business that receives probably 3-10 smallish boxes delivered per day. I have no reason to NOT open a box delivered to me, so I naturally just dug in to see what it was. Then I remembered I am supposed to look out for this one… Uh-oh! Seems like general consensus is that they will install anyway as long as you can reasonably prove you purchased it new from Tesla. Seriously though, my $24K VW had this built in from the factory as does my 2007 Subaru outback. An extra $300 on top of my MYP seems ridiculous!

Reactions: StarLog
If I may suggest instead of the homelink for $ 300, consider this option. I installed in 15 minutes and now can open my door using siri as I approach my home. $23.99
Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener Wireless Garage Door Remote, Open and Close Garage Door from Anywhere, Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072SFDKDH

That only works if your live in a single family home with no other gates to open. Not so hot for other situations (e.g. condo or apartment, a gate community, or need an opener for work). Clearly the homelink is a luxury solution as multi-button remotes can handle most of these.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr. Michael

No worries...I hear that Gorilla Glue is the perfect solution for almost any problem :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: CapsEngineer
If I may suggest instead of the homelink for $ 300, consider this option. I installed in 15 minutes and now can open my door using siri as I approach my home. $23.99
Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener Wireless Garage Door Remote, Open and Close Garage Door from Anywhere, Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072SFDKDH

I've got Homebridge/MyQ working pretty well - but the reason for me to get HomeLink is when it doesn't work - its a PITA. Second, my barn is too far away from any wifi. I do wish the Tesla came with it though. Had to buy two.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
When I bought the Homelink for my Model 3 about 10 months ago, I didn't open the box. When the tech came over to do the install (home install), he was actually surprised that I didn't open the box to take a look at it.

He said most people open the box to check it out, but he's able to tell if it's a new part from Tesla or a used part. Plus, they can reference the invoice for it and match the tracking number on the box. However, that was the tech working on my car. Maybe other techs may feel different about the situation.