Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm bored, when do we get more info on the 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

40% of Tesla forum members said the average price will be over $50k so while $60k is not likely neither is anything close to $40k. Lots of people are looking for a smaller sized car then the MS and will be very willing to add lots of options.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/41924-POLL-What-will-be-the-average-sales-price-of-the-Model-3

40% of Tesla forum members said the average price will be over $50k so while $60k is not likely neither is anything close to $40k. Lots of people are looking for a smaller sized car then the MS and will be very willing to add lots of options.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ill-be-the-average-sales-price-of-the-Model-3

I could certainly see the price being closer to 60k than 35k, due to options. I play to be liberal with options (assuming they're not stupidly priced).

The average price might be somewhere around $50K, I doubt it will be $60K. Tesla makes about $20K per Model S, and the battery pack costs about $25K for the 85KWH pack (about $300/KWH). Elon has said they need to halve the cost of the battery pack for the Model 3. He expects 30% to come pretty easily from the efficiencies of the Gigafactory and the rest from volume. They will probably lower the margin per car to $5K or $10K.

The top of the line performance Model 3 will probably be around $60K or more, but there are media sources out there still saying all Model Xs are going to cost $130K based on the cost of the signature cars, which are loaded. There is a lot of bad analysis out there. I wonder if the people in the know at Tesla ever look at some of the wild speculation out there and laugh themselves sick?

I expect there will be a big difference between Tesla forum members and actual demographics of Model 3 buyers. Those "lots of people" will be much smaller than 500k per year.

Leaks! There are no leaks, no one knows anything except the crumbs of information we get from cryptic tweets and conference call references. I need more info!
Usually leaks come from suppliers - so until Tesla engages with suppliers and journalists track them down to get the leaks, we won't find much. Compare this to Detroit - everything that goes on there is an open secret (look at all the Bolt information that comes out).

The top of the line performance Model 3 will probably be around $60K or more, but there are media sources out there still saying all Model Xs are going to cost $130K based on the cost of the signature cars, which are loaded. There is a lot of bad analysis out there. I wonder if the people in the know at Tesla ever look at some of the wild speculation out there and laugh themselves sick?

The inflated X price in the media is Tesla's fault. The media is simply quoting the available information without speculating on the actual base price of the car. You'd think Tesla would publish even the base price of the 90D while also mentioning that a cheaper option will be released in 2016.

Tesla Model 3 Leaks… Small Ones (CleanTechnica Exclusive)

One of our readers, Daniel Hoffmann, was recently sitting in his hotel lobby waiting to check in when he overheard someone next to him talking on the phone… and then booking tickets on behalf of Tesla Motors. Eager to take advantage of the opportunity, Daniel found out that the guy was lead exterior designer of Tesla cars — seems to be Bernard Lee. (Wow — not a bad fellow to talk to.)

<snip>

I also asked him if it will be a shrunken Model S, and he said it will be similar, BUT it will have very special design. I also asked if there will be any delay, and he said very firmly “no”. I also asked if the March showcasing is on, and it is (he was surprised I knew the month). Unfortunately he seemed very busy, so I couldn’t annoy him any longer. But it seems that they are not trying to make a cheap design for their “cheap” model. I’m really happy about that, because if I wouldn’t buy a Model S, then the Model 3 is an obvious choice.

<snip>
Full article at:
http://cleantechnica.com/2015/11/17/tesla-model-3-leaks-small-ones-cleantechnica-exclusive/

Haha, it's a pretty funny story if it's true. I'm glad the reader had the quick presence of mind to get some intel straight from the source :biggrin:

I am sure that Tesla's designers have worked to make the Model 3 as special as possible. After all, Model 3 is the culmination of Elon's "Secret Plan", and if it succeeds it will go down in history as an automotive icon. My guess is that the general shape of Model 3 will be like Model S, but with different details and lines. I also expect to see an evolution of the nose. Model S had a nose cone. Model X eliminated the nose cone, but had hints of its vestigial presence in the front. If my guess is correct, Model 3 will have a unique nose fully evolved to the functional needs of an EV... and no more than that.