Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm confused about rated WH/M vs EPA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I believe the rated line on the energy graph is around 240 wh/m. My P3D has averaged just over 300 wh/m over the last 12,000 miles. When looking at the EPA rating for the P3D w/20 inch wheels, they say it consumes 30 kWh/100 miles. That's 300 wh/m, right? The EPA also states the car has 299 miles of range. So, simple math would say the car would draw ~90kWh to travel 300 miles. I'm reading that the model 3 LR has a 75 kWh battery. What am I missing?

So, I believe the rated line on the energy graph is around 240 wh/m. My P3D has averaged just over 300 wh/m over the last 12,000 miles. When looking at the EPA rating for the P3D w/20 inch wheels, they say it consumes 30 kWh/100 miles. That's 300 wh/m, right? The EPA also states the car has 299 miles of range. So, simple math would say the car would draw ~90kWh to travel 300 miles. I'm reading that the model 3 LR has a 75 kWh battery. What am I missing?

The EPA rating is a wall-to-wheel rating and includes charging losses of around 10%. The EPA recharge event was a little under 90kWh as I recall - you can look up the document.

For the record, the rated line is at 250Wh/mi in the Model 3 AWD. But that number is not used in any calculations on that Energy Consumption screen.

Though the post below suggests there could be “constant” changes in the future, so far I have not seen evidence of them (pictures of a 2020 vehicle with 322 mile range or whatever):

Lines & Constants

Last edited:
The EPA rating is a wall-to-wheel rating and includes charging losses of around 10%. The EPA recharge event was a little under 90kWh as I recall - you can look up the document.

For the record, the rated line is at 250Wh/mi in the Model 3 AWD. But that number is not used in any calculations on that Energy Consumption screen.

Though the post below suggests there could be “constant” changes in the future, so far I have not seen evidence of them (pictures of a 2020 vehicle with 322 mile range or whatever):

Lines & Constants

Sorry for the late reply. Wall to wheel rating makes more sense. I haven't had time to look at the numbers again, but that's probably where I got confused.

Sorry for the late reply. Wall to wheel rating makes more sense. I haven't had time to look at the numbers again, but that's probably where I got confused.

It is pretty confusing.

Based on advice I got here, you’re best off turning the display to percentage mode, and use the energy screen for a range guesstimate based on current conditions and/or my navigation destination.

The EPA rating is only accurate if you’re and EPA tester.