Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm covering my interior camera as soon as I get my 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if the camera is used in the future to monitor your "attentiveness" when using Enhanced AutoPilot (instead of the current method of detecting your hands on the steering wheel) - will you give up AutoPilot rather than leave the camera uncovered?

I believe Tesla claims that, at the moment, it is not active but I would not be surprised at all if someone got into an accident, blamed Tesla for the accident and then all of a sudden images from the interior camera showed up to exonerate Tesla from blame...

Although I agree with you....

What if going to college meant that you would have a job after graduation? That's what they say.....however.....

I hope you keep your cell phone in a faraday cage or off with the battery removed every moment you’re not actively using it to call someone, too, otherwise your efforts are wasted.
Not really. It's not a black and white choice between using technology and having zero privacy, or living like a caveman and having total privacy. Just like giving out your credit card info to every website makes it more likely your identity will be stolen, giving it out to only a few websites makes that risk much lower. Same thing with surveillance.
Privacy is still important, no matter what zuckerberg tells you. The people who say privacy is outdated are usually the people getting rich from selling your privacy.

Okay all you conspiracy-theorists :) ... get it under control.

if companies are recording you (audio or video) without informing you, there are legal issues. Most states (California for instance) require two-party permission. I'm pretty sure Tesla isn't going to record you without your permission.

As has been pointed out, that camera is for future releases of autopilot and/or full self driving. So covering it might mean that at some point in the future, your software no longer works.
Good thing technology has never been hacked to be used for purposes other than what it was intended.

The crash video as I understand is from the forward camera. I know as Model S owners a while ago we got an opt in notice along with one of our OTA updates to be part of the data gathering program for improving road recognition using the car's cameras. I'm assuming that's now what Model 3 people are seeing with their opt ins?

I wouldn't be surprised at some point down the road though they will use the interior cameras even before FSD. I can see insurance companies requiring it on cars so equipped in order to get a good driver discount.

Not really. It's not a black and white choice between using technology and having zero privacy, or living like a caveman and having total privacy. Just like giving out your credit card info to every website makes it more likely your identity will be stolen, giving it out to only a few websites makes that risk much lower. Same thing with surveillance.
Privacy is still important, no matter what zuckerberg tells you. The people who say privacy is outdated are usually the people getting rich from selling your privacy.

The point is that the NSA or CIA isn’t going to be hacking your car camera, because what’s the point? If they’re going to hack something to invade your privacy, it’s going to be the computer with high quality mics and cameras you carry with you at all times, not your car. Worrying about anything else is a little ridiculous if you aren’t addressing the most important thing first.

Reactions: Chewy3
Better delete your facebook, Twitter and all your other social accounts as well dump your cellphone with camera.
Yeah because if there's ONE camera on you, you might as well have a million on you everywhere you go.
The point is that the NSA or CIA isn’t going to be hacking your car camera, because what’s the point? If they’re going to hack something to invade your privacy, it’s going to be the computer with high quality mics and cameras you carry with you at all times, not your car. Worrying about anything else is a little ridiculous if you aren’t addressing the most important thing first.
Unless you're in the CIA or NSA, I don't think you can say what they will or won't hack. And they're not the only ones who hack things.

Pretty sure that if someone figured out how to remotely hack a Tesla, they wouldn't be all that interested in staring at the driver's face. There are other things I'd worry about before that :).
People who don't worry about hacking lack imagination. A hacker could take footage from the internal camera and use it to blackmail you with your spouse/employer. Among dozens of other possibilities.

People who don't worry about hacking lack imagination. A hacker could take footage from the internal camera and use it to blackmail you with your spouse/employer. Among dozens of other possibilities.
Please explain to my obviously unimaginative mind how a camera that is focused on a driver’s face could capture something suitable for blackmail. You don’t have to give me “dozens of possibilities”, just a handful will be enough.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Please explain to my obviously unimaginative mind how a camera that is focused on a driver’s face could capture something suitable for blackmail. You don’t have to give me “dozens of possibilities”, just a handful will be enough.
We don't know it's only focused on the driver's face. It probably captures the whole car interior. Which means you could get blackmailed for riding around with someone you're not supposed to be with.

We don't know it's only focused on the driver's face. It probably captures the whole car interior. Which means you could get blackmailed for riding around with someone you're not supposed to be with.
Obviously, as my posts have said, I'm assuming it's focused on the driver's face. Funny things about privacy laws, the more information you collect that you don't need, the higher the liability. Companies tend to limit liability.

But I'm still interested in the 'dozens of possibilities' for blackmail that you claimed would result from an interior camera focused on the driver's face. So far you've come up with one, which was you were with someone you shouldn't be with. And that was assuming a full shot of the car. What else? I only ask because you were so ready to call someone who couldn't come up with dozens of possibilities 'unimaginative'. So I'm curious as to what I'm missing.

As I said in the post you replied to, there are a lot of other more lucrative targets in a Tesla (or any current vehicle, for that matter) for a hacker to target before wanting to see hours of a driver's face.

Obviously, as my posts have said, I'm assuming it's focused on the driver's face. Funny things about privacy laws, the more information you collect that you don't need, the higher the liability. Companies tend to limit liability.

But I'm still interested in the 'dozens of possibilities' for blackmail that you claimed would result from an interior camera focused on the driver's face. So far you've come up with one, which was you were with someone you shouldn't be with. And that was assuming a full shot of the car. What else? I only ask because you were so ready to call someone who couldn't come up with dozens of possibilities 'unimaginative'. So I'm curious as to what I'm missing.

As I said in the post you replied to, there are a lot of other more lucrative targets in a Tesla (or any current vehicle, for that matter) for a hacker to target before wanting to see hours of a driver's face.
I'll disagree that information and user data these days is a liability, tech companies are practically falling over themselves to obtain user data and personal information, they will give away products and services for your information, some companies are created only for this purpose!

Second I won't be so quick to conclude that tesla's internal camera is a close and tight shot of only a driver's face.

I'll cover my camera and decide to opt in or not when the exact function and capability it unlocks is determined, whats there to lose?

Again not a tin foil hat guy. My laptop camera is exposed and google home and my Pixel 2 run my life!

Usually i like you combative tone when it's unleashed against others i disagree with! ;)

Last edited:
One of the reasons why such a camera might be good is to enforce that users keep alert when using Autopilot that is not FSD. So if you plan to order that they might disable Autopilot for good reason. Too many deaths already because people don't use Autopilot as
designed.

Indeed, this is not unprecedented Cadillacs supercruise system also uses a camera to monitor the driver to make sure they're paying attention and if not the system will give visual and audible warnings.

I'll disagree that information and user data these days is a liability, tech companies are practically falling over themselves to obtain user data and personal information, they will give away products and services for your information, some companies are created only for this purpose!

Second I won't be so quick to conclude that tesla's internal camera is a close and tight shot of only a driver's face.

I'll cover my camera and decide to opt in or not when the exact function and capability it unlocks is determined, whats there to lose?

Again not a tin foil hat guy. My laptop camera is exposed and google home and my Pixel 2 run my life!

Usually i like you combative tone when it's unleashed against others i disagree with! ;)

I've worked for a Fortune 100 tech company, Intel (not a data-gathering company like facebook or twitter) & data gathering guidelines are drilled into every employee, for liability reasons. And I know that is true for some of the tech & non-tech companies we partnered with (such as Microsoft or GE). There needs to be a valid business reason for data gathering AND an opt-in from the person supplying the data. It's taken very seriously.

Companies like Intel or Tesla or any non-facebook company are not in the business of selling personal data, but rather selling product. (However, for facebook, we ARE the product.) Data is gathered for valid reasons - but most is de-identified before use if it is being used to look at trends or predict user needs. For instance, Tesla has very valid reasons for collecting autopilot data. It will help them improve the product. However, when that data arrives for the autopilot team's use, it should be stripped of all personally identifying information. Engineers don't need to know it was my car or your car.

And again, the original comment I made was with the assumption that the camera is focused on a driver's face. I didn't say it WOULD be, but rather that I assumed that. You can assume whatever you want :). But we really can't argue about an assumption, right? It's kind of an 'if this is true then that is true' kind of discussion. Fair? :)

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck