Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm Doing Something Wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No need to disable trip planner. Put in your destination, let the navigation do it's thing. If it adds charging stops, you can tap on trip and then tap on 'Remove all charging stops' and then tap resume. I found the trip planner to be very annoying. It will randomly reroute to chargers, or even tell you to go back to a Supercharger. It's not working that well. By manually removing all charging stops from the trip, you are good to go. Now look at the energy app and use the trip tab.
I have done done a 200 mile trip in 4 degree cold and windy weather. I had to go slow (60-65) but I made it easily. The energy graph prediction works really well and you can adjust your speed to adjust your energy consumption and this way always be on the safe side. The cabin heater also uses some power of course. Just keep it at a low temp setting and you'll be fine.

Uh, why not just disable it and save yourself the effort?

No need to disable trip planner. Put in your destination, let the navigation do it's thing. If it adds charging stops, you can tap on trip and then tap on 'Remove all charging stops' and then tap resume. I found the trip planner to be very annoying. It will randomly reroute to chargers, or even tell you to go back to a Supercharger. It's not working that well. By manually removing all charging stops from the trip, you are good to go. Now look at the energy app and use the trip tab.
I have done done a 200 mile trip in 4 degree cold and windy weather. I had to go slow (60-65) but I made it easily. The energy graph prediction works really well and you can adjust your speed to adjust your energy consumption and this way always be on the safe side. The cabin heater also uses some power of course. Just keep it at a low temp setting and you'll be fine.

I don't know if it's still true, but I found in certain cases the nav would just spin where it was calculating the route yet it would never finish. It just kept spinning and spinning. The only way to fix this was to turn off the trip planner. Before that happened I was using the 'remove all charging stops' and just navigating to the next stop.

I tend to just ignore the trip planner.

I've been doing long trips, 200+, between SuperChargers in my Tesla for almost 3 years now. I have made it in all types of weather and at all temperature ranges.

Granted I don't live in mountainous country, Midwest here, so that might change the following advice but this is how I do it.

As long as my starting range is more than the distance I'm good.

I put the energy graph on the top and the nav on the bottom. As long as my projected average range over 15 miles is greater than the remaining distance I'm golden. If I get below a 15 mile buffer I adjust my driving accordingly, slow down, activate range mode, turn down or off heat, draft a semi, to stay above a 10 mile buffer. Yep, I push it. I have no problem arriving with < 2miles of range. You may need to adjust based on your risk tolerance.

I have yet to get stranded. I have had to do a couple of 45 mph legs in really cold weather when pushing 200+ miles. So yes I've had to get over driving below the speed limit. It's still faster than stopping to charge at a nonSC charger.

My first thought is that you're way overthinking this. I understand why, but don't...

180miles is easily in range with reasonably conservative driving. Set the climate control to a comfortable but maybe slighly colder than normal level...I often use 68-70F. And, as pointed out above, it just won't work at 75MPH, it might, but it's not worth the anxiety. I'd recommend very conservative driving initially and watch the Trip graph to make sure you have a bit of a buffer. I think 65MPH was suggested...I'd even say start at 60MPH and then when you're about 1/3 to 1/2 way you can start increasing your speed as you see that you'll make it. If that's too slow, then start at 65. I don't even sweat 180 miles anymore, that's an "easy" distance compared to the 220-230 I sometimes drive to get to St. Louis.

Do have a few "bail-out" options in case there are unexpected issues...bad traffic, and accident causing a detour, snow/rain/ice on the road, etc. The CHAdeMO near Harriman is a good option if you can buy or borrow an adapter.

I live in Atlanta. My Model S is a demo. When I put up my deposit, I was told my Tesla was part of the Nashville's store's inventory and that it was on loan to a Tesla owner in Knoxville. I had to wait for the owner to return the car to Nashville. If what I heard/recall is correct, the car was driven between Nashville and Knoxville. Have you asked the folks at the Nashville store?

A few thoughts:

- Trust EV Trip Planner. Ben did a great job and in my experience is quite accurate.

- DO NOT trust Tesla Trip Planner. Elon did not do a very good job and in my experience is quite inaccurate*.

* I'm testing Tesla Trip Planner in 7.1 now and hoping it's much improved and at least almost as good as what Ben built.

I live in Franklin and did the trip in similar conditions. I drive an S70 and decided to stop at the CrackerBarrel in Cookeville as they have a CHADeMO charger. I learned on the trip back that the Crossman Blink CHADeMO is free.

As for your question, no, you're not doing anything wrong. It gets very hilly toward Knoxville and will chew up a lot of battery if you're not careful. You're in an 85, so, I suspect you'll arrive at the SC with about 35 miles left in the battery. It's cutting it close with this weather. Let me know if you want to borrow my CHADeMO adapter to be able to stop at the BLINK for about 15 mins to make it safely to the KNOX SC.

The alternative is to go down to Chattanooga and back up to Knoxville, it's a little longer miles, but, you can drive faster, so, it'll take same amount of time as stopping at a CHADeMO to top off.

I live in Franklin and did the trip in similar conditions. I drive an S70 and decided to stop at the CrackerBarrel in Cookeville as they have a CHADeMO charger. I learned on the trip back that the Crossman Blink CHADeMO is free.

As for your question, no, you're not doing anything wrong. It gets very hilly toward Knoxville and will chew up a lot of battery if you're not careful. You're in an 85, so, I suspect you'll arrive at the SC with about 35 miles left in the battery. It's cutting it close with this weather. Let me know if you want to borrow my CHADeMO adapter to be able to stop at the BLINK for about 15 mins to make it safely to the KNOX SC.

The alternative is to go down to Chattanooga and back up to Knoxville, it's a little longer miles, but, you can drive faster, so, it'll take same amount of time as stopping at a CHADeMO to top off.

Thank you! I appreciate offer and may take you up. I'm now just seeing how the wife feels about all this. It's a bit complex if you aren't all that in to Tesla to begin with. I'd do the trip in a heartbeat, but not so sure about her.

Thank you! I appreciate offer and may take you up. I'm now just seeing how the wife feels about all this. It's a bit complex if you aren't all that in to Tesla to begin with. I'd do the trip in a heartbeat, but not so sure about her.

Yeah, my wife was a little put off by the stops and minor complications of planning and I was not about to ask her to forego a warm cabin, seat heater and drive under the speed limit. She'd prefer to drive her Volvo. She still hasn't even driven the S :p

I drove at 5-9 mph over the speed limit the whole way and charged to 80% at CrackerBarrel. There's a StarBucks and O'Charley's right next door to the Knox SpC. There are others within long walking distance.

I got the last CHADeMO adapter from the Nashville store a few weeks ago and they said they weren't sure when they'd be able to get more. Looks like they are in stock online. I got it because I expect to do the Knox trip often as well as going to Memphis and BHAM.

The only challenge is when it gets busy at CrackerBarrel, people will almost always ICE the Blink spots, which could add a little stress to the trip.

Yeah, my wife was a little put off by the stops and minor complications of planning and I was not about to ask her to forego a warm cabin, seat heater and drive under the speed limit. She'd prefer to drive her Volvo. She still hasn't even driven the S :p

I drove at 5-9 mph over the speed limit the whole way and charged to 80% at CrackerBarrel. There's a StarBucks and O'Charley's right next door to the Knox SpC. There are others within long walking distance.

I got the last CHADeMO adapter from the Nashville store a few weeks ago and they said they weren't sure when they'd be able to get more. Looks like they are in stock online. I got it because I expect to do the Knox trip often as well as going to Memphis and BHAM.

The only challenge is when it gets busy at CrackerBarrel, people will almost always ICE the Blink spots, which could add a little stress to the trip.

CHADeMO adapter? So, I will need to purchase another adapter and/or cable to charge at other non Tesla charging stations? Just when I "think" I get things figured out I get thrown a curve ball. lol

CHADeMO adapter? So, I will need to purchase another adapter and/or cable to charge at other non Tesla charging stations? Just when I "think" I get things figured out I get thrown a curve ball. lol

It comes with an adapter for J1772 (Level 2; 30 AMPs ~ 7-15 mph) chargers. There are some called CHADeMO (Level 3; 150 AMPs at ~ 75 miles per 30 mins. You have to buy a $450 adapter to charge at those.

It comes with an adapter for J1772 (Level 2; 30 AMPs ~ 7-15 mph) chargers

Level 2 chargers cover a big range of charging. I've never seen one as low as 7-15 mph charging, the lowest I've seen is about 220v, 30 amp (22 mph), but also as high as 240v 80amp. A 240v 80amp charger will charge at about 60 mph.

Chademo chargers are DC chargers just like Superchargers, just not quite as fast. Like Superchargers, they bypass the onboard chargers and feed direct current straight to the battery.

Level 2 chargers cover a big range of charging. I've never seen one as low as 7-15 mph charging, the lowest I've seen is about 220v, 30 amp (22 mph), but also as high as 240v 80amp. A 240v 80amp charger will charge at about 60 mph.

Chademo chargers are DC chargers just like Superchargers, just not quite as fast. Like Superchargers, they bypass the onboard chargers and feed direct current straight to the battery.

It's often not 220V and 30A, it's often 208V (or around 200V) and 30A, which yields 19mph, not 22mph.

Uh, why not just disable it and save yourself the effort?

Because it helps finding a route with Superchargers and gives me a pretty good idea how much time I will need to drive and charge at each SuC and when I will arrive at my final destination. If it acts up, I just manually navigate to the next supercharger or remove charging stops. There is no need to disable it altogether. Tesla fixed many issues since the initial release. It's not as bad any more. It doesn't get stuck and updates the trip energy graph properly.

En route only Level 3 charging is meaningful, unless you want to make a sleepover.

Therefore CHAdeMO and SC are your only friends.

Non-redneck demographic area Nissan dealers have CHAdeMos and are very friendly,
just call ahead.

Public CHAdeMOs also exist, like this one in Blacksburg, VA:

electric.jpg