Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm Doing Something Wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They appear to be all at Cracker Barrel restaurants and are on Blink with an access fee of $3.60. Cookeville, Crossvile and Harriman
I wish the CB's in Indiana had CHAdeMO. If you don't have the adapter, I'd be getting one on order sooner than later. They are a bit of PIA to hook up, but they are pretty fast, about half the speed of a SpC. But that would make her trip a breeze.

What are some of the better websites out there with "up to date" info on charging stations that include route planning?

Plugshare app is great. Shows all the available chargers and you can filter by type. Users also add pics and comments that are helpful - like where to look in the parking lot, if they are broken, what rate they actually charge at, etc. You can message other users to ask questions. I like it.

I feel what the OP is going through... I had my first "rookie range anxiety" this weekend. Did a spur of the moment trip from Denver to Trinidad to meet a friend from NM. It started with a "do you have enough charge?" phone call. I was at about 77%... not enough to make the 183 mile trip to Trinidad SC. But, with the new CO Springs SC open I knew I could stop for a top-off on the way.

Things I learned... cold weather is a range-killer! And mountains are not your EV friend! So, in my 240 mile range car, I can not make it 183 miles.

I got to the SC in CO Springs and started charging while getting a Starbucks. It is 128 miles to Trinidad so I figured 150 should give me enough cushion. I thought I would be over-conservative and charged to 175 miles. More than enough, right? I got on the road and set up the Trinidad SC as my destination. The Trip Graph showed I would arrive there with 16% charge. I figured that was plenty. Within 10 minutes it had dropped to 10%. I was going 85 and it was a little uphill. Within a few minutes it dropped to 6% and I got the yellow "DRIVE SLOWLY TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION" warning. I had left my UMC cable at home, knowing I was going to use a SuperCharger and I was without a plan B if I couldn't make the SC. I began to freak a little as I realized there was no option on that long stretch of I-25. I slowed down to 70 (5 below limit) and within a few minutes the yellow warning went out and the remaining charge started going up. When it hit 10% I stopped sweating. When it hit 12% at about 30 miles out I sped up to 85 and rolled into the SC with 16 miles remaining.

The trip back was uneventful as I gave myself over 20% remaining before I left the SuperCharger. Even driving "normally" I would arrive with over 10%. And no anxiety. Interestingly, when I left CO Springs the graph showed I would arrive home with 31%. So I drove 75 with no worries and gave it no thought. I arrived at home with 30%. Not sure why there was no hit like on the other legs, which were off by ~10%.

Things I learned:
The Trip Graph seems pretty reliable. Like many have said, slow down early and when you see have the trip made you can speed up.
Always carry the UMC cable on a road trip just in case.
I do not have a 240 mile range car in the winter. It's a 170 at best.
Speed makes a dramatic difference. 15 mph makes a big difference in consumption.
I LOVE driving my Tesla.
I will be paying for extra mileage at the end of my lease. :)

Eddie
S70D
Delivered 11/14/15