Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm done with Traffic Light Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The risks at an intersection are magnified. An ambulance or fire truck arriving at an intersection can be heard 15-20 seconds before a camera can see it. Some intersections are blind, that is, you can’t see traffic until you’re in the intersection, especially if large vehicles are on the side of the road. Many times I’ve heard emergency vehicles, but not seen them until they were practically in the intersection. If I can’t see them, it’s a good bet the car can’t.
Ever see a funeral precision go through a red light? Can a car figure that out?
Is a pulse of the foot such a big ask? Is it so inconvenient? (Lewis and Clark, Magellan, and Neil Armstrong would scoff at these threads :) )

Car asks “whuydda’ think?” and a slight pulse of the foot says “good boy!“ (it’s like walking a well trained golden retriever)

It takes a week to get used to it, it’s now second nature….
hear the ding, pulse the foot…Pavlovian
Thanks. They randomly offer FSD trials in the UK so will definitely give it a go if/when the opportunity presents itself. The EAP package offers everything but traffic light/stop sign control and is half the price at £3.4k so will be getting that at the minimum.

I've really enjoyed exploring and maxing the BMW L2 systems, and am really curious as to how well the Tesla system works in the UK.

Reactions: haroldo
am really curious as to how well the Tesla system works
One person's perspective...I think red light/stop sign works great.
Yeah, you got to get used to the "slowing at greens", but once you do (ten minutes), it's smooth sailing.
A passenger would barely notice, since you can override (pulse foot as soon as you hear the ding) before the car can start slowing.

This thread inspired me to take a longer route today (red light road, instead of highway) for my relatively short commute this morning.
It handled all but one smoothly. The problem was at a very complex intersection (near a shopping mall), with a bend in the road, two lanes veering off to the left, a second set of lights twenty feet after the first (so the car saw 8-10 separate lights)... simply put, most drivers of normal cars have trouble there, so I'm not going to fault the car.
Instinctively, when I approach this (or any other complex) intersection, I tap the brake so as to assume complete control.
As far as the rest of the intersections were concerned, the car probably approaches the red light a bit faster (with more braking needed) than I would normally. I've watched a few (too many to remember) of the beta videos and it seems the car is being programmed to be less aggressive. In any event, as long as you hear the ding, or see the pop up, you know it will stop. I always glance down, to make sure the pop up is there, since there are times the car wont slow down when a lead car travels through a green.
If this feature is important to you, and the extra cost isn't a problem (the FSD package is probably not worth it, if the extra cost is going to push one's budget), then I can highly recommend it.
It does what it's supposed to do

Last edited: