Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm dying to place my order. Help me out with the few things holding me back...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think these are in order of importance:

1) I have no charging at my condo currently. I have been working on it for over a year but there is no current timeline so I may be without charging at home for 1 year+. How much range will I lose overnight in the winter? (I live in NYC)

2) AP 2.0 retrofit possibility + time-frame? (I'd really hate to order and have it come out 2 months later).

3) Android auto/google maps integration. I hate the routing on the Tesla especially in traffic.

4) Current build quality.

5) $1k referral discount or wait for upcoming NYS $2k ev credit. This is clearly not as important.

6) That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks!

1. This can be a pain if you live in the city without easy access to Superchargers. Do you drive a lot?
2. No one knows. I'd say you won't see AP2 until at least early next year. Before June.
3. This won't happen for the foreseeable future.
4. Supposedly pretty good after a rough start.
5. Up to you.
6. Be aware the (second row) seats don't fold down.

/edit Saghost made a good point a few posts below this.

Last edited:
Fiver covered it pretty well (clarification: the third row folds. Lots of folks are surprised and disappointed that the second row does not.)

The six seat car is generally much better unless you expect to need to transport seven regularly - the interior feels much more open, there's more third row legroom, and you can see a lot more in the rear view mirror. The second row middle seat isn't a great seat to start with, trapped under the FWD mechanism.

I guess the main thing I can tell you is it's actually a pretty amazing car, and within a few weeks of driving it you'll have trouble imagining driving anything else. Oh, and make sure you have your financing sorted out before you take a test drive. It's hard not to order after that... :)

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca
1. This can be a pain if you live in the city without easy access to Superchargers. Do you drive a lot?
2. No one knows. I'd say you won't see AP2 until at least early next year. Before June.
3. This won't happen for the foreseeable future.
4. Supposedly pretty good after a rough start.
5. Up to you.
6. Be aware the seats don't fold down.

1) I do drive a lot. Probably 20K miles a year but I do have charging at my office out in Long Island. I only go a couple times a week though. The pain is when I want to take a road trip but I'm not starting with a full charge. I'm most worried about losing charge in the winter and not being able to go wherever I'd like.

6) I test drove and played with all different configurations and I am 100% ordering the 6 seat config.

How common/easy is it to get the 72 month low interest loan? I would probably put a sizable down payment and then extend the term out as far as possible.

How common/easy is it to get the 72 month low interest loan? I would probably put a sizable down payment and then extend the term out as far as possible.

If you have good credit, Alliant has been offering crazy cheap loans - 72 months at 1.49%, and some folks have gotten the whole car financed that way.

I didn't finance the whole thing, but I did take the Alliant offer, and my experience was pretty painless, though there was a little less communication than I would have preferred (things happened quickly, but I didn't always hear back that they were happening.)

1) I do drive a lot. Probably 20K miles a year but I do have charging at my office out in Long Island. I only go a couple times a week though. The pain is when I want to take a road trip but I'm not starting with a full charge. I'm most worried about losing charge in the winter and not being able to go wherever I'd like.

Hopefully your office charging is dedicated to you and/or better than 208V / 30A like many J1772 stations at commercial locations are. I can charge at my work but it is a shared resource (I can also charge at home so the only reason I charge at work is because I can). If the schedule is full I'll only get about 32 miles range from my 2 hour charging slot. If it is a relatively empty day I can usually get 100ish miles.

Regarding not being able to start a road trip with a full charge that will be a pain point, but you basically will just need to add a little time to each trip because you'll have to stop at a Supercharger sooner most likely. If you are going off the Supercharger network it could be a big deal, otherwise I would guess it might add 10-20 minutes to your trip depending on how much you start with.

The Tesla routing is here to stay because of the Supercharger integration. I route short trips with Google maps on my phone. I'll even plot the route to the next Supercharger on my phone on a longer trip. Sometimes I take the phone's route, sometimes I take Tesla's, but the phone almost always has better traffic information.

1) I do drive a lot. Probably 20K miles a year but I do have charging at my office out in Long Island. I only go a couple times a week though. The pain is when I want to take a road trip but I'm not starting with a full charge. I'm most worried about losing charge in the winter and not being able to go wherever I'd like.as far as possible.

Buy the high amperage charger upgrade if that is your worry. NYC has one of largest concentrations of destination chargers anywhere. It's actually kind of crazy how many there are, really. Go to the link below and check the option to show destination chargers:
Find Us | Tesla

There are a couple of destination chargers near me too. The problem is they charge $40 to park + $10 for charging, then I have to walk home in the cold lol.

We will likely go with evercharge as our solution once I can get power out to the parking lot. Right now it is a $20K job coupled with a parking lot lighting system. That is what's causing the hold up.

I'm assuming Tesla's approach to the issue is similar to evercharge with a load balancing system to maximize charging units with less power.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Congratulations! That's awesome. Have you claimed a $1000 referral discount? If not here is mine:
http://ts.la/michael8616It would be my first one since I live somewhat rurally in VT :).

I used my friends referral already sorry! Also, I took your advice and got a car that had the high amperage charger so that should help out with my 1st issue.

Only thing I'm working on now is the old lease vs finance debate. I drive about 20k miles a year but I might still lease. Just easier knowing I'll want a new car in 3 years. Any thoughts?

Good luck. I would have advised you to wait until you had charging solutions set up, but since you placed the order, I hope you find joy in your purchase. Depending on public charging can absolutely suck, hopefully you have convenient spots near you that you don't have to fight other EV drivers for.

Reactions: davidc18