TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I'm fading to the right...

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Clint Eastwood, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Clint Eastwood

just had my new tsportlines mounted with the factory tires at my local mechanic shop. My car is pulling to the right. Is this an easy fix? Should I trust my mechanic to easily correct this, or should I take it to a big box tire place that balances tires/fixes alignment?

Or should I take to tesla, but I'm afraid they won't touch it since its non factory wheels. Plus they never have appointments and I'll be fading right and wearing out my tires faster for a month.

• Like x 1
  2. CraZ8

CraZ8 Member

I know what you're thinking. Did they balence 3 tires or all 4? Well as this is one of the most powerful sedans on the road and would snap your head clean back if you floored it, you gotta ask yourself, do you feel lucky? Well do ya punk?
    Sorry couldn't help myself with your screen name, take it back to the original mechanic first

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Tire balance will not affect pulling left or right. Imbalanced tires cause vibration.

Go to your service center.

4. anthony

anthony Member

Seconded, tires that are out of balance cause vibration not veering to one side or the other.

Could be the alignment or another issue. I wouldn't trust big box stores personally.

5. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Last time we heard from you, you were talking to an empty chair. How much farther right can you get?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Clint Eastwood

I agree it's likely the alignment. Though there also may be some vibration of the steering wheel. But I'm pretty sure the car wasn't pulling until I swapped out rims. Is there an alignment that occurs during mounting of new rims? Should my local mechanic be able to handle this issue? Will the tesla service center even be willing to address this? They take so long to get an appointment, and it's a farther drive and hence really inconvenient too.

7. anxman

anxman Member

This sounds like an alignment issue. The Model S is prone to them. I'm currently pulling to the right also and need to get the alignment fixed.

8. Clint Eastwood

Is that something that occurs when swapping out wheels? Because I didn't notice it before. Can my mechanic fix this or is it a service center issue?

9. anxman

anxman Member

Anybody that can perform alignment can resolve the problem. In my understanding, swapping wheels is a good time to perform an alignment and I would always do them with each other -- especially on a Tesla.

The Model S is extremely prone to alignment issues. I've had them on my Tesla far more than on every other luxury car. I basically can't re-align the car enough especially on the Bay Area roads.

10. 787steve

787steve Member

Brilliant reply. Made my day.

11. Clint Eastwood

Ok, here's my update:

Tesla took my car and performed adjustments to the alignment. They brought me back my car. Car is still fading right with no change whatsoever. I have my ts sport lines. Could that contribute in any way? If they supposedly fixed the alignment, what else could be the cause? What is troubling is they returned the car. I can't believe they don't notice it. And even when in autopilot, I can tell the car struggles against this fade. Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

12. 808?

808? Member

Put the original wheels back on and see?

13. Clint Eastwood

I sold them. But I'm not sure how the wheels would do it. Besides alignment, is there anything else that could do it, or could they have messed up the alignment? I don't know that much about cars. Still disappointed that they returned the car to me and said they fixed the problem, when they obviously didn't