Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm giving you $20,000 extra regardless Elon BUT it would be nice if..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh I don't want to be limited to just 3.5 seconds. :D
Elon Musk on Twitter

But ludicrous mode has nothing to do with 0-60. They need enough power from the battery and then they need a capable enough motor(s) and inverter(s) combination.

The reason for the P85/90/100Ds many modes is, that the motors and inverters can put out 515 kW(690hp) but only the P100Ds battery can supply enough energy. The original P85D could only put out 460, or so, hp.

Not sure if Tesla did the same thing with the Model 3. Since both the AWD as the P have the same motors, I doubt that the P is that battery limited.

So ludicrous will probably just be the sport mode of the Model 3.

Throw in a few factory options to make the P3 a little more distinctive without much margin cutting.

You need the profits from the P3 because your couch sucks and $8,000/minute is horrendous cash burn.

Last EPS of -4.19 * 170 million shares almost makes me want want to short you but I think there's enough nutjobs long TSLA like myself to bet against so I'll pass.

The internet just crowdfunded billionaire Elon Musk a new couch

Also, $78Kish is very fair already for a car in the 3.5, 3.0 0-60ish category. WORTH it for all those annoying gasholes to stop revving their engines around town.

Some things I had in mind was:

-Chrome Delete!
-Matte Black Paint Option. I want black, but I can't get free black if I'm paying for premium paint!
-Supercharging credits. Probably amounts to 100 bucks a year but its just nice to have.
-P3 referral counts the same way an S or X would.
-Aluminum Pedals
-Lighted Tesla logo

Surely there's an influencer around here that can relay the word up!

Throw some other value added ideas..

Signed topless Elon photo with every P3?
I think Tesla has more than enough to stay more than busy. Let them focus on the ramp rather than trivial details that most could do after delivery.

But ludicrous mode has nothing to do with 0-60. They need enough power from the battery and then they need a capable enough motor(s) and inverter(s) combination.

The reason for the P85/90/100Ds many modes is, that the motors and inverters can put out 515 kW(690hp) but only the P100Ds battery can supply enough energy. The original P85D could only put out 460, or so, hp.

Not sure if Tesla did the same thing with the Model 3. Since both the AWD as the P have the same motors, I doubt that the P is that battery limited.

So ludicrous will probably just be the sport mode of the Model 3.
It has everything to do with 0-60.
There's no logical reason the Performance Model 3 should not be able to outperform the P85DL (if Tesla wanted it to be so).

It has everything to do with 0-60.
There's no logical reason the Performance Model 3 should not be able to outperform the P85DL (if Tesla wanted it to be so).

Yea, if you put in a bigger motor and more powerful inverter and eventually a bigger battery, it will surely out perform a Model S. If you go far enough, change the suspension, make a carbon fibre body and so on, it will even out perform a 2020 Roadster. And eventually it will be equally expensive to build.

But why build something like that? Now they can use the mass produced Model 3 AWD motors and just have to pre select those with the most output. Probably cheaper than having a dedicated performance motor. But that puts a hard limit on torque and power output.

Probably cheaper than having a dedicated performance motor. But that puts a hard limit on torque and power output.
Most definitely, but from a value to the consumer perspective... $20,000 extra for what amounts to software is a little hard to swallow. At minimum I want it to take me to the limits of what the hardware is capable of. Model 3 motors have plenty of torque if they are using them for the Tesla semi, the new roadster, and to clear several tons of muck at the Boring company.

Reactions: D3xDt3Reaction
Most definitely, but from a value to the consumer perspective... $20,000 extra for what amounts to software is a little hard to swallow. At minimum I want it to take me to the limits of what the hardware is capable of. Model 3 motors have plenty of torque if they are using them for the Tesla semi, the new roadster, and to clear several tons of muck at the Boring company.

But they are using multiple of the big rear motors for these applications. If the Model 3 had two of those, 0-60 would surely go down, too. The Roadster will probably have 3 of those and the Semi maybe even 4.

But with just one and a smallish induction motor at front, I guess we are close to the limits, especially since the high volume Model 3 SR and LR AWD models will use the same motors. Making them oversized hurts margins on the highest volume cars, that's never a good idea.

But they are using multiple of the big rear motors for these applications. If the Model 3 had two of those, 0-60 would surely go down, too. The Roadster will probably have 3 of those and the Semi maybe even 4.

But with just one and a smallish induction motor at front, I guess we are close to the limits, especially since the high volume Model 3 SR and LR AWD models will use the same motors. Making them oversized hurts margins on the highest volume cars, that's never a good idea.
So in your opinion, does that justify $20,000 ?

Not really, but that decision is already set in stone. I am mostly hoping for better brakes and suspension. On the Model S you only get the bigger motor in the rear and I think better brakes, for 33k. So could be worse.

And people will still buy it. And while drift mode, a different fascia, or things like that can still happen, we will be limited to the motors we have.

Don't want to say I wouldn't like it, if we got more, but I just wouldn't expect it. Same with some future "uncorking". My S never got any quicker. And I don't expect the performance Model 3 to get quicker, as well. Maybe the base versions, though.

Costs of goods is not always correlated to sales price.

-Price of soda at the movies or anywhere for that matter.
-Pack of screws at the hardware store
-Extra safety features on the Volt/Bolt (You MUST pay for highest Trim to get those)

Pricing is always and forever determined by
Maximum willingness to pay.

Reactions: R.S
What I am fully expecting is this to be a stop gap measure to simplify the production line for now and that next year they'll come out with the real performance version. It'll all depend what this one is really capable of when it gets into people's hands.

What I am fully expecting is this to be a stop gap measure to simplify the production line for now and that next year they'll come out with the real performance version. It'll all depend what this one is really capable of when it gets into people's hands.

If you think so... Have you already cancelled your reservation? That would make them come to Europe a bit sooner :cool:

The real performance version is Model S P100D and Roadster 2020.

There will be caps on the 3 to prevent product line cannibalization.

• Disagree
Reactions: R.S and MP3Mike
The real performance version is Model S P100D and Roadster 2020.

There will be caps on the 3 to prevent product line cannibalization.
I don't believe that myth for a second and never will. Roadster 2020, Model S, and Model 3 are very different cars, for different audiences, and their 0-60 times leave plenty of room between 2.5 and 3.5 seconds for the Model 3 to improve to a sub 3.0 second time.

Reactions: MP3Mike

I was in the same boat. I sat staring at the Performance model ordering page for hours and was constantly checking for any other updates from Elon as to what the Performance package would include.

In the end, though I could afford it, I just couldn't justify the value for an additional 23k...and ended up ordering just a straight up AWD model.

What really convinced me to not order it is:
  1. This will be primarily for my wife who could care less for a second quicker to 60 times, a spolier, and red calipers
  2. If I went with the P model, given the red calipers, I would have really wanted a red color car and I don't know if I'm a red car guy (yet)
  3. The next 5 years will be the real revolution of electric vehicles. Every manufacturer is jumping on the band wagon (much to Tesla's credit for popularizing electric vehicles. Not the 1st to market, but certainly made them desirable en masse). So, I'd rather hold on to that extra 20+k and see what else comes out in the next few years and hey maybe I'll be able to splurge on a roadster in a few years...

Reactions: JeffK
Thanks Elon for reading the original post and incorporating some of the suggested items from my wishlist.

Only asked for SC credits but unlimited is even better!

Since some of the options like Chrome delete and matte black paint for sure can’t be done - can the P M3 owners get tastefully signed topless photos of Elon Musk?

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire