TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I'm going to be the first to have a totally autonomous Model3

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Compuguide, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Compuguide

Compuguide Member

OK, yes, that was a bit of a click-bait title, sorry.
    Let me start by saying that this post is not seeking sympathy, so let's avoid uncomfortable comments.
    On the very last day of 2019 a brown letter dropped on my doorstep from the DVLA
    To be honest, I had been expecting it from even before I ordered my M3P back in May last year.
    In 2014 They found and removed a tumour from my lower intestine, stitched me up and sent me on my way.
    I continued to play squash, hike and do my regulation Fitbit 10,000 steps a day for the next 3 years.
    In 2017 alarm bells began ringing and I started chemotherapy.
    The prognosis was not good.
    In these circumstances a person can go downhill, stare at the wall and become depressed.
    Or you can find something that you really would love to do.
    An investment consultant told me that I could ask my pending pensions for a serious illness claim form.
    This would allow me to en-cash my entire pensions tax free.
    This I did with one of them and used some of the money to buy my M3P
    I took delivery last September and every day has been fun since then, till the last day of the year when the DVLA's letter arrived.
    Yes, they have decided that my condition is at a stage where they, on the advice of my oncologist, need to cancel my licence.
    As I said, this has not been unexpected, but saddens me all the same.
    This is where the title of this thread comes in.
    I have added two friends to my insurance - they will now become my surrogate drivers - and therefore I will be able to sit in the passenger seat and the Tesla will take wherever I choose!
    Sorry that's a bit lame, but at least I still get to enjoy the car!

• Like x 37
    • Love x 7
  2. ACarneiro

ACarneiro Active Member

Never thought I’d type this, but here’s hoping that your total autonomy will become redundant and you’ll have many more years of enjoyment out of you M3!

• Like x 4
  3. Fredneck

Fredneck Member

That is a shame. As much as I'm not happy with Tesla the company. I do enjoy driving my car. I hope things turn around for you and you are able to drive once more. I'm glad that you took the action of doing something you loved when you could.

• Like x 1
  4. pdk42

pdk42 Member

I admire your fortitude in adversity and your upbeat perspective on the situation. My sincere best wishes for the highest quality and quantity of life you have left. We'll all be following you sooner or later. Enjoy what and who you have now. Carpe Diem!

• Like x 7
  5. ThrustSSC

ThrustSSC Member

Just echoing the above. Your fortitude is remarkable and inspiring, sir! Hats off to you and your incredibly-positive attitude.

• Like x 1
  6. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

Your autonomous driving will, by design, feature fantastic speech recognition capabilities! Humans can be really handy when you need them. I'm delighted that you will still be taking pleasure from your car. Good luck.

• Like x 1
  7. fumusic

fumusic Member

I wish you all the best Compuguide. Glad you are enjoying life as it is meant to be. May you enjoy it for many years to come.

• Like x 1
  8. ben_c

ben_c Member

I wonder if you could take it on the track?

If you find yourself in Brighton needing parking and a charge, let me know!

• Like x 1
  9. navt

navt Member

You still get smiles being driven around in a M3. Wishing you best of luck.

• Like x 1
  10. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Sobering; wish you well

• Like x 1
  11. spon88

spon88 Member

I wish you well, keep battling and all the best!

• Like x 1
  12. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

I always say time is precious, and live for today. Your story is a sobering reminder of that. It puts all my ‘problems’ into perspective.

I really, really hope you can beat this, you deserve to with such positivity.

In the meantime, enjoy your car to it’s fullest.

• Like x 2
  13. Big Ike

Big Ike Supporting Member

Not lame at all! You're making lemonade my friend!

Make sure your surrogates stomp on that accelerator every now and again!

• Like x 2
  14. vitesse

vitesse Active Member

Obviously I don't know the details of your current condition but do you feel you are competent to continue driving? Could you not appeal the DVLA decision?

I'd like to think I would be as positive and forward thinking if I found myself in a situation like yours! Good on you :)

It's pretty much a standing joke in my family that while full autonomy probably won't arrive here in Europe for quite some time yet, no matter what Elon says (I'm not sure it will in the US without additional hardware on even the latest cars) by the time my wife and I are too old to drive they might just have perfected it!

• Like x 1
  15. phillcom3

phillcom3 Member

Not if it's my wife and I'm telling her to tell me next left or what when she's holding the dam satnav when abroad!

• Funny x 1