Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm going to get eaten alive on Texas State car tax!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never complain about sales tax here in California.

I would much rather pay them on something I chose to buy, than have property taxes that are reassessed. It is sort of crazy that your property tax should go up based on the value based on what a neighbor got when they sold their house. That sale did not put a dime in your pocket. Why should pay more each year for property tax because of it? Crazy, and thanks Prop 13!!!

You think that's bad, LA is 9.25% sales tax where i live.

and thanks to trump, SALT deduction is capped at $10k. So i can't even fully deduct the sales tax of my car.

Actually its not trump's fault, its that POS chicken *** ******** ******** ass **** paul ryan's fault.

I blame both the President and Congress. Both had a hand in this law and the cap on interest deductions. Yet another reason to lease through a business.

Reactions: P85_DA
Was waiting on the BC comment. I got hustled on my purchase. One guy I know purchased one in Alberta just to avoid the taxes. Makes perfect sense when you look at the price. 200-230K on a P100D. That's at least 40k just in taxes. I'm curious to know just how many they sell locally compared to Alberta.

The trouble with that would be if you want to drive it in bc, they would hit you with the exact same tax as soon as you register it in bc. Would be great if buying in Alberta solved the problem, though.

wtf. okay i'm glad i don't live in canada.

On the bright side, a heart attack has never bankrupted anyone here. But we should probably avoid that debate. I'm sure I could think of a lot of reasons to be glad to not live in Canada if I lived in Southern California, especially during winter.

OP: You could spend $1000 or so to have a Montana lawyer set up an LLC that owns your car and tax and title it for nearly nothing.

One guy I know purchased one in Alberta just to avoid the taxes.

While tax avoidance is legal, tax evasion is not. There's little doubt that both the IRS and RC consider both of the above evasion and not avoidance. So then, when hit with the taxes, penalties and interest, which would be huge a couple of years down the line when you get caught, your option is to appeal to tax court and convince a tax judge that's the not the case when the law is clearly against both schemes as tax evasion.

Better to sleep well at night by paying your taxes, than turning yourself into a criminal by schemes to evade paying them. Just ask Paul Manafort.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corbets
On the bright side, a heart attack has never bankrupted anyone here. But we should probably avoid that debate. I'm sure I could think of a lot of reasons to be glad to not live in Canada if I lived in Southern California, especially during winter.

While tax avoidance is legal, tax evasion is not. There's little doubt that both the IRS and RC consider both of the above evasion and not avoidance. So then, when hit with the taxes, penalties and interest, which would be huge a couple of years down the line when you get caught, your option is to appeal to tax court and convince a tax judge that's the not the case when the law is clearly against both schemes as tax evasion.

Better to sleep well at night by paying your taxes, than turning yourself into a criminal by schemes to evade paying them. Just ask Paul Manafort.

Yes - agreed. not worth doing something illegal. Better to sleep at night without that hanging over your head.

I guess the best way to deal with these taxes is in the voting booth - elect people that deliver the right level combination for you - of services/ spending / social programs whether it's military spending, medical or social security - at a tax price that you can live with.

Reactions: jboy210 and Canuck
Hmmm... So wait, in 1966, when I was 4 years old, we took a TransAtlantic voyage and then a train to Wolfsburg Germany and watched as our new VW Micro Bus came off the assembly line. We did some paperwork and then loaded all our stuff in it and drove around Europe for a month, then took that car to the docks and imported it into the US as a USED car. Is that Tax Avoidance or Evasion?

Seems you could easily do the same in Alberta or the US for that matter. Buy the car in Nevada, when it has been driven enough, take it home to California (or whatever horrible tax state we are talking about) as a USED vehicle, no?

-Randy

I'm also from Texas, but I see this entirely different than the OP does. 6.25% is a steal! Honestly, a lot of states have it worse. As was said earlier, I remember reading that CA has > 9% tax on cars and you get taxed on the entire purchase price, not the purchase price minus the trade-in value.

I always factor the 6.25% into the car value, which is why I had Tesla buy the car via trade-in after being adjusted for a Carmax quote. I wouldn't be able to get enough via private party to justify selling it myself.

Also to the OP, I don't understand how you are losing over $7k. If you had traded in your car to offset the price, you would have only saved 6.25% on the difference in trade-in value. Unless you were trading your model S in for $112,000, you would not have lost $7000.

If Tesla offered you $38,000 on your car, then their offer to you is in reality, $38,000 * 1.0625 = $40,375. As long as you sold the car for more than that, you're still coming out ahead. I think you're either misunderstanding our tax law, or did some extremely funky math.

I personally have no problem paying sales tax on a new car. It's a lot of money, but Texas does it right, imo (as do other states). Normally sales tax is a regressive tax in that it hits lower income families disproportionately. They negate this by making food and basic necessities exempt from sales tax. A new Tesla is far from a necessity and absolutely a luxury. I'm more than happy to pay the tax that is used to fund the state's programs.

As was mentioned earlier, you need to absolutely take into account sales tax when figuring total cost of ownership (as well as maintenance, [PPF, ceramic coat :D :p] and anything else that you add to the car).

At the very least, recalculate how much money you "lost" in sales tax so that you'll make yourself feel a whole lot better. You probably lost something closer to $3k, though I have no idea what you sold you car for.

Did Tesla match the acarmax quote on a Tesla you were trading in? I was told they only did that for non-Tesla’s.

I bought my MX in Devon, PA and registered it Montana. 0% sales tax paid. I've had my "nice" cars registered out of state for a while now.

And Uncle Sam still sent the $7,500 tax credit my way, as well as accelerated depreciation schedule, due to the high GVWR, and our electric utility gives me a $50/month credit on our office electric bill due to owning an electric car. :D

It's funny, in California they don't let you register a car out of state if you have an in-state driver's license. I was thinking about registering my plane that way but didn't want the hassle. I know, could have paid for a lot of hassle with the savings. I am happy to have paid the $4000+ in sales tax and whatever the registration is the first year. This state is awesome, glad to support it. I only get $15 a month toward my electricity, sounds like PA is very EV friendly.

-Randy

It's funny, in California they don't let you register a car out of state if you have an in-state driver's license. I was thinking about registering my plane that way but didn't want the hassle. I know, could have paid for a lot of hassle with the savings. I am happy to have paid the $4000+ in sales tax and whatever the registration is the first year. This state is awesome, glad to support it. I only get $15 a month toward my electricity, sounds like PA is very EV friendly.
-Randy

Same thing in Indiana. The Montana LLC trick used to be very common for RV owners (maybe still is). But most States have since rendered it ineffective. Here you have to answer if you own any motor vehicles registered in another State, when you file State Income Tax. You can of course lie, but cars coming and going with Montana plates, is pretty obvious, especially on a Tesla.

-Randy

On the plane, have the plane owned by a Deleware corporation. Then register and operate it out of CA 75%+ time for 6 months. Have some avionic upgrade done in a low/no tax state like Oregon with the tax money.

Um, at least I have heard this scheme will work and you will get a certificate (postcard) from the state saying they have no interest in your purchase. Then bring the plate into the state.

Same thing in Indiana. The Montana LLC trick used to be very common for RV owners (maybe still is). But most States have since rendered it ineffective. Here you have to answer if you own any motor vehicles registered in another State, when you file State Income Tax. You can of course lie, but cars coming and going with Montana plates, is pretty obvious, especially on a Tesla.
Not really. In this example, the answer to their question would be NO. I do not own any motor vehicle registered in another State. This would not be lying and here's why. By letter of law, you do not own the car, your LLC owns the car.

After reading the comments, this thread reads like a horror story on how much taxes members have paid from their purchase. It surely gets me thinking, choose your state of living wisely.