Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm gotta vent just a little. Upcoming service center visit...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jkoya- Yes, I'm going to Rocklin service center. Thanks for the tip. I'll get there extra early.

BTW - Tesla Rocklin disconnected my drive for the Sentry Mode, unplugged everything from the USB ports and reset all of my trip odometers. The service performed was an alignment, so I don't know why they messed with everything...They also curbed the driver's side front wheel, which I didn't notice until the next day (small curbing, but still there..)

Please check your car carefully before you leave and learn from my mistake. Good Luck !

Just found out yesterday, after taking my car in, for among other things rattling sounds in the general vicinity of the left air vents, that Tesla will no longer address those if the car is older than 6 months (mine is a little over a year)-- they now believe that any sounds/rattles after 6 months are a "natural" way that cars age! :/ They then offered to take a look at a co$t of $195!!! >:-< Love the car, but.....
LOL, now they put them in the same category as wine and cigars, hahaha!!! I had a Lexus GS I literally drove into the ground (11 years I think), and it was quiet as a mouse the entire time of ownership. I recall there was rubbing against an A-pillar to the dash and they added addl. insulation, and that was halfway through ownership as a good faith repair. Six months doesn't seem like they really stand behind the craftsmanship or materials IMHO.

BTW - Tesla Rocklin disconnected my drive for the Sentry Mode, unplugged everything from the USB ports and reset all of my trip odometers. The service performed was an alignment, so I don't know why they messed with everything...They also curbed the driver's side front wheel, which I didn't notice until the next day (small curbing, but still there..)

Please check your car carefully before you leave and learn from my mistake. Good Luck !

They like resetting trip odometers because it makes MCU1 responsiveness better. Last time my car was there the tech was looking at something with me and seemed to get frustrated by the slowness while navigating the settings. He advised resetting the trip odometers periodically. I had not done that in my 3 years of ownership but I figured after I got the car back I would take photos of the odometers and then reset. When I got the car back it was already done.

ah yes, teslas. you'd think the longer they make em the less troublesome they are.. but nah, they just introduce new issues :)
My "hunch" is that at least with regards to the S and X that unless there are TONS of consistent costly repairs under warranty being required, they really aren't going out of their way to truly make them bulletproof as they're still struggling to be profitable. I was actually surprised when they mentioned some new updates coming to both models, but it wouldn't surprise me if the profit margin is significantly higher for those two models, and with sales plummeting they had no choice.

Interesting how Tesla Service often reaches out to a customer with questions before they come in for their appointment. Gives them the change to work out the solution prior to the car even entering the shop. Should allow them to order expected replacement parts and ask the more experienced techs for some advise. Should speed up the service que significantly.

I had an issue with my previous X. Called service to schedule an appointment. They asked me some questions about my issues, and came back on the line saying they fixed the issue remotely. I went out to my car and was amazed to find that the issue had indeed resolved itself.

Have seen this technology never from any other manufacturer.
Wait a minute...you actually spoke with someone from Tesla over the PHONE??!!:D

did you get a long loaner atleast for such a long repair? I love these moments. Just put the miles on someone else's car!

I had to fight for a loaner, they wanted to give me Uber credits but I refused as I have 2 kids in 2 car seats. Original estimate was 2 days. Thank goodness I refused the Uber.

The loaner is fine but my commute struggles with no carpool access or autopilot. :(

If I had known they would take so long I would have taken a road trip to Chicago and back. :D

I had to fight for a loaner, they wanted to give me Uber credits but I refused as I have 2 kids in 2 car seats. Original estimate was 2 days. Thank goodness I refused the Uber.

The loaner is fine but my commute struggles with no carpool access or autopilot. :(

If I had known they would take so long I would have taken a road trip to Chicago and back. :D

but but but I thought Elon said all loaners will have Autopilot (and be Performance models)?!?

/s

Tesla Autopilot to be enabled on all loaner vehicles, says Elon Musk

Tesla plans to deploy fully-loaded P100Ds as loaner vehicles in all service centers - Electrek

Fixed that for you

Yeah I agree completely. Part of what is nice about buying a non-Tesla Premium car is how well the interior ages. If you take care of the car, it could be 10 years old and would look pristine with hardly absolutely no rattles or squeaks. Now contrast that to a rattle trap Cadillac or other premium American car where the interior starts falling apart and rattling as the car ages.

Hopefully as Tesla gets better at manufacturing they will address the rattling issues as a rattle can absolutely take away the joy of driving an electric car, especially for those of us who are sensitive to high frequency rattles.

In the meantime I hope Tesla at least offers a not so crazy cost (~100) for fixing rattles that come up so at least they are meeting the customer half way. A premium car should not rattle whether it is powered by electrons or decomposed dinosaur waste.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
did you get a long loaner atleast for such a long repair? I love these moments. Just put the miles on someone else's car!

IMHO not worth it. Last time service accepted my car and then took a week to even start working on my car, a bunch of bird poop etched on the paint and sat there in the baking sun :( I now have bird poop etching on my paint because they let my car sit for a week. Why have timed appointments if you are not going to honor them? I would have been happy to drive my car for the week it just sat there.

The actual work just took a day to complete and this needlessly cost them over $600 in Uber credits. What a complete waste of Tesla's money when I would have been happy to bring my car in when they can work on my car and wait at the SC so they don't spend a cent on Uber credits.

If there was a human I could have called, I would have asked them why they can get to my car and then offered to bring my car a week later. But of course, there are no humans to talk to and this ends up costing them much more than the cost of hiring a human to answer the phone.

Here's an example of Service Center cost cutting and poor management actually costing them more money while offering a bad service experience to customers.

Elon has said a lot of things he wanted, but alas...

People need to judge Elon on what he does, not what he says. He is a bit of a dreamer, and reality sometimes gets in the way :(
Sorry but when you're the face of a company you don't get the play the "dream" card because people expect what you say to align with reality being the spokesperson for the company and all. If he states that they will double the number of Superchargers in 2019, I believe him. He should be held accountable for the claims he makes rather than just being dismissed because nothing will ever fix the behavior if everyone excuses his actions as "that's just Elon being Elon" which is BS.

Reactions: cookie99
Yeah I agree completely. Part of what is nice about buying a non-Tesla Premium car is how well the interior ages. If you take care of the car, it could be 10 years old and would look pristine with hardly absolutely no rattles or squeaks. Now contrast that to a rattle trap Cadillac or other premium American car where the interior starts falling apart and rattling as the car ages.
No offence to majority of people on here but the only cars I've had interior rattles in is with American made ones, the Europeans are usually very good but the Japanese are next level, even with their cheap and cheerful cars they are rattle free for 10+ years.
The Tesla is unique in its own way, I find mine has different rattles and creaks for summer and winter :rolleyes:

PhilDavid that is a terrible story about the bird poop on the paint, how disappointing.

No offence to majority of people on here but the only cars I've had interior rattles in is with American made ones, the Europeans are usually very good but the Japanese are next level, even with their cheap and cheerful cars they are rattle free for 10+ years.
The Tesla is unique in its own way, I find mine has different rattles and creaks for summer and winter :rolleyes:

PhilDavid that is a terrible story about the bird poop on the paint, how disappointing.
I disagree with this!!
I have a Toyota and it’s only 3 years old and has more creaks than my 95 year old grandma!
My model s does have some rattles and creaks...but it’s also 5 years old. I’d kind of expect that.

in regards to them not messing with them after 6 months...I kind of get that because of it’s going to rattle. It’ll do so almost immediately. (Second Tesla) and...they won’t spend all their time fixing that kind of stuff when they have actual repairs to fix. Toyota laughed when I told them my car made a loud creak within the first 2 weeks. It’s STILL THERE!

to the op...there IS a fix in place. I’d bet your car was mfg just before the cut off for the new SB that covers the new clevis mounts.
Sb-19-39-001 from June 25,2019. All cars mfg before this date could have the old mounts. If your car does in fact have the death rattle. They’ll replace clevus mounts and half shafts. It takes about 3 hours to do the work. (They had my car 3 days)

• Informative
Reactions: vapor trail
I disagree with this!!
I have a Toyota and it’s only 3 years old and has more creaks than my 95 year old grandma!
My model s does have some rattles and creaks...but it’s also 5 years old. I’d kind of expect that.

in regards to them not messing with them after 6 months...I kind of get that because of it’s going to rattle. It’ll do so almost immediately. (Second Tesla) and...they won’t spend all their time fixing that kind of stuff when they have actual repairs to fix. Toyota laughed when I told them my car made a loud creak within the first 2 weeks. It’s STILL THERE!

to the op...there IS a fix in place. I’d bet your car was mfg just before the cut off for the new SB that covers the new clevis mounts.
Sb-19-39-001 from June 25,2019. All cars mfg before this date could have the old mounts. If your car does in fact have the death rattle. They’ll replace clevus mounts and half shafts. It takes about 3 hours to do the work. (They had my car 3 days)

Thanks for the specific info! My car was built in the beginning of June, so for sure before 6/25/19 (how do you know this exact date?). Fingers crossed that the fix works!

They like resetting trip odometers because it makes MCU1 responsiveness better. Last time my car was there the tech was looking at something with me and seemed to get frustrated by the slowness while navigating the settings. He advised resetting the trip odometers periodically. I had not done that in my 3 years of ownership but I figured after I got the car back I would take photos of the odometers and then reset. When I got the car back it was already done.

Will do that before my next service there. Thanks for the tip !