Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm gotta vent just a little. Upcoming service center visit...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bringing my June 2019 build Raven performance Model S to service center this Friday. Hoping for excellent service. I've been a huge fan of Tesla for years. This is my second Model S. I traded in my 2015 S90D for the new model to get the higher performance as well as all the updated hardware improvements.

My car has less than 1,200 miles. Here's my laundry list for the service center:

• Death rattle. Pretty sure I have the infamous half-shaft issue that results in a fairly harshe rattling sound under hard acceleration (the main reason I scheduled service)
  • Glove box. Takes two clicks of the button to get glove box to open. With first click you can hear the mechanism release but door doesn't open. Second click of button, and door magically opens.
  • Passenger window mysteriously fully opened two nights ago (no, I didn't accidentally press the window button while exiting car as I've read some people hypothesize). Glad I park in a garage.
  • Getting intermittent warnings that a front fender sensor is blocked or something to that effect. Nothing is blocking any sensors as far as I can tell. Goes away spontaneously.
  • Also getting intermittent warnings that driver side pillar camera is blocked or something to that effect. Again, goes away spontaneously.
  • Rear spoiler is poorly fitted, not sitting flush with the hatchback. Lame.
  • Voice commands are useless since recent series of updates.
  • Today coming home from work, SiriusXM simply vanished from my car. I could see one of my saved stations on the screen, but the station button was unresponsive. Can no longer find any SiriusXM settings under the radio. That's a new one. Rebooting center screen didn't remedy.

I realize that the majority of my list will result in nothing more than a shrug from service center techs, but they're legit gripes. This car is an expensive machine. It shouldn't be riddled with so many issues.

But what really bothers me isn't the fact that I have to take the car in. I'm fine working through kinks with Tesla and grateful for how Tesla has revolutionized the auto industry. But, as the company grows, it seems Tesla is less interested in standing behind their products. For example, based on other posts from this site, the death rattle issue may not be a fixable problem at this point. And I'm dreading the day I wake up to a yellow border around my screen (and fingers crossed if I do, the UV treatment could be a permanent fix).

I'm expecting them to remedy the mechanical problems and update my software. Will see what happens. Not pleased I can't expect a loaner.

/rant

Bringing my June 2019 build Raven performance Model S to service center this Friday. Hoping for excellent service. I've been a huge fan of Tesla for years. This is my second Model S. I traded in my 2015 S90D for the new model to get the higher performance as well as all the updated hardware improvements.

My car has less than 1,200 miles. Here's my laundry list for the service center:

• Death rattle. Pretty sure I have the infamous half-shaft issue that results in a fairly harshe rattling sound under hard acceleration (the main reason I scheduled service)
  • Glove box. Takes two clicks of the button to get glove box to open. With first click you can hear the mechanism release but door doesn't open. Second click of button, and door magically opens.
  • Passenger window mysteriously fully opened two nights ago (no, I didn't accidentally press the window button while exiting car as I've read some people hypothesize). Glad I park in a garage.
  • Getting intermittent warnings that a front fender sensor is blocked or something to that effect. Nothing is blocking any sensors as far as I can tell. Goes away spontaneously.
  • Also getting intermittent warnings that driver side pillar camera is blocked or something to that effect. Again, goes away spontaneously.
  • Today coming home from work, SiriusXM simply vanished from my car. I could see one of my saved stations on the screen, but the station button was unresponsive. Can no longer find any SiriusXM settings under the radio. That's a new one. Rebooting center screen didn't remedy.

I realize that the majority of my list will result in nothing more than a shrug from service center techs, but they're legit gripes. This car is an expensive machine. It shouldn't be riddled with so many issues.

But what really bothers me isn't the fact that I have to take the car in. I'm fine working through kinks with Tesla and grateful for how Tesla has revolutionized the auto industry. But, as the company grows, it seems Tesla is less interested in standing behind their products. For example, based on other posts from this site, the death rattle issue may not be a fixable problem at this point. And I'm dreading the day I wake up to a yellow border around my screen (and fingers crossed if I do, the UV treatment could be a permanent fix).

I'm expecting them to remedy the mechanical problems and update my software. Will see what happens. Not pleased I can't expect a loaner.

/rant

First off sorry for your problems, but please separate the software issues like voice commands from the rest of your list. I too have issues with voice commands just about not working at all since the last update. I fully expect this to be fixed.

The only thing on your list that would seriously annoy me if not fixed promptly is the death rattle. Your car should drive flawlessly.

Some of your issues, such as the spoiler not being aligned, can be fixed easily.

I bet all your issues can be fixed at the SC within a day or two.

I wonder if there is an AP sensor lose connection or ground fault somewhere.

The window could be a sensor issue. There is also a way to reset your window sensors. Try this:

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I know it's off topic but I am fairly certain my 2019 is also suffering from the death rattle as I've started to hear/feel a harsh momentary vibration when accelerating hard out of a turn to pass another car.

How did you describe it in the service request you created?

aerodyne - thanks for comments, but how is the ranger issue relevant in this case? Car has to go in for the rattle (or should I say "vibration"). No sense in setting up more than one appointment.

PhillDavid - I may give the window regulator reset a go. I have read on other threads that the reset doesn't necessarily fix the problem.

dannycamps - I had to use app to make appointment. I simply put a one liner describing the problem.

A-Wimoweh - thanks for the tip. I'll break out my thesaurus before dropping off the car!

Everyone - As I said in my initial message, I fully expect Tesla will fix the issues. But I unfortunately don't have faith that Tesla has permanent solutions for all problems (most worrisome being the death rattle). And I just wanted to vent. That's a pretty long list of irksome issues for such a young car, especially at this price point.

Reactions: BulldogsRus

Are you going to the Rocklin, CA service center ? They are really busy right when they first open. I had the first appointment time, but couldn't check in until after my appointment time, due to the amount of people there. Compared to the local Acura dealer, I thought it was a bit unorganized because there wasn't a greeter to check you in and move your car out of the drive up lanes in front of service. I think when I go back, I'll try and schedule for later in the morning... Good luck on the service visit.

Just found out yesterday, after taking my car in, for among other things rattling sounds in the general vicinity of the left air vents, that Tesla will no longer address those if the car is older than 6 months (mine is a little over a year)-- they now believe that any sounds/rattles after 6 months are a "natural" way that cars age! :/ They then offered to take a look at a co$t of $195!!! >:-< Love the car, but.....

/rant

Camera's - Software, Moisture / Sun, I get it too. I like to save TeslaCam when it does it, so I can check what it sees.
Voice Command's - Software / Server, works most of the time but it has it's moments.
SirusXM - Never use it, but my bet is on Software, lot's of gremlins in the Radio. Could be an Antnna issue though.

Personally I'd leave shudder issue be until they come up with a real fix. How bad is it on low?

I had some odd issues with Windows (mystery obstacles) until I did the "Reset Procedure" in the Sticky (in Model X section). Been fine ever since.
I bet the Window went down when you closed the door and walked away. When it went up it hit a mystery obstacle and went back down. Just a guess. Mobile Tech had no idea what I was talking about on the reset procedure, but it worked.

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
Well, SiriusXM magically returned this morning on way to work. Ghosts in the machine!

jkoya- Yes, I'm going to Rocklin service center. Thanks for the tip. I'll get there extra early.

mswlogo - great idea to save teslacam when message appears. Have you ever reviewed the videos? Anything on there?

The service center texted me this AM asking details about the window going down. Interesting. Maybe they can pull some log?

Interesting how Tesla Service often reaches out to a customer with questions before they come in for their appointment. Gives them the change to work out the solution prior to the car even entering the shop. Should allow them to order expected replacement parts and ask the more experienced techs for some advise. Should speed up the service que significantly.

I had an issue with my previous X. Called service to schedule an appointment. They asked me some questions about my issues, and came back on the line saying they fixed the issue remotely. I went out to my car and was amazed to find that the issue had indeed resolved itself.

Have seen this technology never from any other manufacturer.

Have had many Teslas. probably 1/3rd of them have had faulty parking sensors. Quite annoying having the car beep at you all the time thinking you're about to hit something. They too were intermittent. Some cars worse than others. Tesla replaced the sensors and they were fine. One car, I'd bang on it with my hand and that seemed to resolve it for a short period. Then would randomly come back again. Based on that, likely some type of short in the wiring or the sensor itself.

• Informative
Reactions: vapor trail