Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm having phantom drain problems.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you hear clunking when it's plugged in? Once walk away door lock has locked the car it will not "wake" until you pull a door handle.
Drain will occur from sentry mode, cabin overheat protection and other background features. How much of a drain are you experiencing?

On my Stats App the drain rate says it is better than 15% of users. Can it be the sentry? I don't turn it on when we go to the boat but I get "sentry enabled" messages. IO thought it stayed off unless enabled??
It has been awhile since I messed with the Sentry functionality in the Stats app, but IIRC, Stats has (or at least had) the ability to enable sentry mode if you forgot to do it. So even if you told the car to turn Sentry mode off, Stats would turn it back on. Stats would send your phone a message to let you know that it had enabled Sentry mode. Might be a good idea to check out Stats and make sure you don't have it set to auto enable Sentry mode.

Oh, forgot to mention... If your phantom drain is still really bad, even after turning off sentry mode, cabin overheat protection, and summon standby, you may want to have your 12v battery checked. In the past, there have been guys with horrible phantom drain that ended up having bad 12v batteries; the car was waking up and charging the faulty 12v battery often (which of course, drains the primary pack).

I didn't want to start a new thread so I shall revive this one. My phantom drain isn't horrible, but I've read stories on here about losing only a few % over the course of a week or two. I've lost 2% since Saturday night.

I have sentry mode on, but, it's set to be off at home. In my app it shows as off when I'm home. Does it still drain the battery? I've turned off cabin overheat as well. Does "data sharing" contribute to battery drain? My phone is also always connected... I don't see an option to have it stay disconnected while I'm at home.

Other than that, I don't get it...why should the battery be draining a few % in less than 2 days if it's not being used? I'm pretty sure it's being used by something.

I didn't want to start a new thread so I shall revive this one. My phantom drain isn't horrible, but I've read stories on here about losing only a few % over the course of a week or two. I've lost 2% since Saturday night.

I have sentry mode on, but, it's set to be off at home. In my app it shows as off when I'm home. Does it still drain the battery? I've turned off cabin overheat as well. Does "data sharing" contribute to battery drain? My phone is also always connected... I don't see an option to have it stay disconnected while I'm at home.

Other than that, I don't get it...why should the battery be draining a few % in less than 2 days if it's not being used? I'm pretty sure it's being used by something.
If you have FSD then turn off Summon or Smart Simmons, as far as Data Sharing, you need to uncheck those boxes. When the boxes are checked this allows the car to upload driving info to Tesla. Also turn off or disconnect any 3rd party App like Teslafi, ABRP, Stat etc. don’t wake the car by opening the Phone App.

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: Siciliano

How often do you check the Tesla app? Each time you do that it wakes up the car.

How often do you check the Tesla app? Each time you do that it wakes up the car.

Only once or twice a day. My app seems to be always "running" though because in my notification shade it always says "Connected".

See the screenshot - that's a persistent notification. See how it says "7m"? That usually designates how long it's been since the app has been used (I thought). I haven't actually opened the app since yesterday. I might be missing a setting in the app or in Android to allow the car to sleep...

09-14_04:11:18.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, let me contribute what I know about sleep mode to this thread...

First, a lot of stuff I've previously written on the matter is here: Controlling Tesla's Sleep Mode ~-or-~ Lucid Dreaming for Robotaxis : teslamotors (I love that I can Google "lucid dreaming for robotaxis" and get this thread as #1 result)

When the car is idle, it's consuming between 150-250 watts depending on its state of mind, so that's a lot of phantom drain (10 hours of it can be 1.5-2kWh of energy waste). If it's not sleeping, it's "idling". If it's asleep, the screen will stay black for several seconds, and you'll hear a "clunk-clunk" under the car as it reconnects the HV battery and wakes up.

It's near impossible to "make" the car sleep. It's like a human... if you give it anything to think about, it'll stay awake. It doesn't sleep until the 12v battery is fully charged. It doesn't sleep until it hasn't had a mobile ping in at least 10 minutes. And it doesn't sleep while it's charging - of course - but it'll sleep shortly after completing, and wake if it needs to heat or cool the battery or interior.

So make sure no apps are pinging it. change your Tesla account password if you want to be absolutely sure nothing is accessing it. That's the most "unknown" thing you can control - if you've tried TeslaFi or Tezlab, they might still be grabbing data from the car and keeping it awake (true fax - I use Tezlab and TeslaFi, and if they're both enabled, it's near impossible to get the car to sleep - but it'll eventually figure it out overnight).

In my experience, phone key has absolutely nothing to do with car sleep. My bedroom is over the garage, and my phone is always "connected" to the car, whether asleep or not. The security system is an "always-on" system, so it doesn't shut down when the car is asleep and it doesn't affect whether it can sleep or not.

What I HAVE unexpectedly found that affects sleep, though, is if the door handles are partially pulled but not fully to open the door... somehow, just slightly pushing the handle makes the car wake-up but not open the door unless pulled all the way. Like, it has a 0%~100% position detection there or something? I dunno, but it was odd that I had the phone in my pocket and only slightly pulled the handle, and the car woke up without turning the screen on or opening the door...

• Informative
Reactions: Siciliano