TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I'm impatient and want it now!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DHG., Mar 7, 2017.

1. DHG.

DHG. Member

Being a new inductee into the Tesla family I was thinking about all the great stuff I remember hearing about and am still waiting for so I thought I'd start a thread to air out frustrations and impatience so I'll start off with this.

When do we get this? I want it.

2. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

They gave this a go but nobody used it. For the time being I think battery swap is dead. Instead they are focusing on higher charge speeds.

3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

First, you have to obtain a time traveling upgrade.

Second, you have to go back a year or two

Third, you have to get the invite to be able to use the swap station

Fourth, you have to travel to Harris Ranch and swap there...

• Funny x 1
  4. DHG.

DHG. Member

I'd like EAP at 80 mph too cause I am driving from LA to Palm Springs this weekend and that would be fantastic. Make it happen Elon!

• Like x 1
  5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the swap program was deemed to be inefficient and was done away with.

6. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Tesla is likely going to release Version 3 SuperChargers sometime this year (could be announced at the next Model 3 reveal).

The V3 SCs could reduce most charging times to 5-10 minutes.

At that rate, battery swapping doesn't make sense. And it avoids the complexity of tracking which battery pack is in each car - and figuring out how to swap back the specific battery pack that was purchased with the car.

7. John5396

John5396 Member

Also, when tesla added the shield under the battery to protect from road debris, they effectively eliminated option for battery swap.

• Informative x 1
  8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

And don't forget about the fully articulating robotic snake arm charging cable! :D

9. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

Battery swap sounded like a nightmare when I first heard about it, and it proved to be just that. I would much rather see faster and more widespread charging.

What I want NOW is flying cars.

10. cab

cab Member

If I remember correctly, there were actually some goofy regulations about this (i.e. government wanted it implemented) which may have played into Tesla investigating it. As others have said, we aren't there yet and may never be depending on where charging ends up (and at this point it appears charging is only going to get faster and more prevalent).

11. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

There were additional CA government to provide a car that can be refueled within five minutes... battery swap did that and Tesla earned those credits.