Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm in the minority, I like the 19" naked Gemini wheels better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally saw it in person today at Fremont Delivery Center... I prefer the 19" naked Gemini wheels better.

IMG-0581.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: JATinNH and lnsh
I know there is a range hit when you remove the covers but don't remember how much (is it about 3%). I'll wait to see the wheels in person both with the covers and without. Then I'll evaluate the looks combined with the range loss.

Last I read it's about 30 miles? I too prefer the look without the covers, and will prolly sacrifice the 30 miles to go without them (pop them on for long trips of course).

I've never dealt with covers. Are they difficult to take off and put on?
No. They are basically hubcaps. What takes more time is if you get a center cap and lug covers to pretty up the wheels when the aero covers are off... Then it is a bit of a pain to switch back and forth. Speaking from experience with the Model 3 aero wheels, of course, the model Y wheels could be different .

• Informative
Reactions: lnsh and IdaBish
Last I read it's about 30 miles? I too prefer the look without the covers, and will prolly sacrifice the 30 miles to go without them (pop them on for long trips of course).
It's not 30 miles. The 10% figure was the difference between aero (i.e. Gemini) wheel with covers on vs. the sport wheels. Taking the covers off will result in ~3% reduced range or ~9mi of max range compared to the Gemini wheels with the covers on. This is of course at highway speed. The range reduction will be much less at lower speeds. All this is based on measurements taken on the Model 3, but should also apply to the Y.

No. They are basically hubcaps. What takes more time is if you get a center cap and lug covers to pretty up the wheels when the aero covers are off... Then it is a bit of a pain to switch back and forth. Speaking from experience with the Model 3 aero wheels, of course, the model Y wheels could be different .
On the model 3, you don't need to take the lug nut covers off when you put the hubcap back on. Just pull out the center cap and Pop on the hub cap.

On the model 3, you don't need to take the lug nut covers off when you put the hubcap back on. Just pull out the center cap and Pop on the hub cap.
"Just pull out the center cap" isn't quite as easy as it sounds. On my 3, I drilled some small holes in each cap and used a hook to pull them out. Other people use a suction cup device.
Hopefully, those bare wheels will look better with the center cap and lug nut covers on. If not, I may be painting the covers or powder coating the wheels. Anyone know where I can get the powder coating done in the SF East Bay?

Thanks,

Cliff

"Just pull out the center cap" isn't quite as easy as it sounds. On my 3, I drilled some small holes in each cap and used a hook to pull them out. Other people use a suction cup device.
Hopefully, those bare wheels will look better with the center cap and lug nut covers on. If not, I may be painting the covers or powder coating the wheels. Anyone know where I can get the powder coating done in the SF East Bay?

Thanks,

Cliff
powder coating - Yahoo Local Search Results

Try this to get the center caps out. These suction cups work like a champ.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015T58AUW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you can wait a month or two, I'm sure these are the exact same ->

US $1.23 16% OFF|Body Repair Kit Glass Suction Cup Repairing Dent Removal Glass Metal Cell Phone Table PC Screen Repair Disassemble Hand Tool|disassembly tool|tools phone|disassemble tools phone - AliExpress

Any generic item like that on amazon, is really just a reseller getting them from china, dropshipping them on amazon and then marking them up.

Finally saw it in person today at Fremont Delivery Center... I prefer the 19" naked Gemini wheels better.

View attachment 524159
Yes I agree with you. I hate the grungy look of the Uberturbines and the black 20" alloy wheels. IMHO the Gemini wheels look much nicer both naked or covered. Same with the three: I have an early performance pearl white three with the chrome trim and silver wheels and it just looks much crisper than the current Stormtrooper blackout chrome and black Uberturbine performance trim. Its a pity that Telsa can't provide more options around wheels and trim although I understand that economies of scale preclude this. I don't really understand why the blacked out look is so appealing to many. Maybe something to do with younger generation X, Y, Z (lol). when you see the blacked out chrome along side the silver chrome it just looks so plasticky.

My car and two amigos attached

Attachments

• 3 amigos.jpg
    3 amigos.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 263