Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm invested in TSLA and up for delivery in 4 weeks. Good or bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
So I checked my Tesla account and saw that I could configure a Model 3 now for delivery in 4 weeks. Being a share holder, I'm trying to think about the implications of being able to take delivery at the time that I can.

I was a owner as of October 2016 so I think Tesla was just selling roughly 100K total cars at a time. Since owners before me have priority I am thinking *up to 100K* Model 3s would get delivered before I could get mine.

As months passed, the "100K" queue would drop for many reasons:
- No Dual Motor Model
- No P Model
- No $35k Model

From my understanding of highest VINS and production rate (approx 1000), I would be owner # 15,000 best case if I took delivery 4 weeks from now?

Now I myself am debating if I want to take delivery in 4 weeks as I would like a dual motor car.

My worries as a stock holder is it will not be long for Tesla for finish running through the queue for current owners.

If "adoption rate" remains fixed, we are looking at perhaps 30,000 first run Model 3s sold before the non owner public has access to them.

How much of the non-owner public would pay for the current first run $50K model 3? Hopefully a lot because they don't have a Tesla currently.

Napkin math seems to show Tesla will sell 30,000 first run Model 3 out of 200,000 possible to existing owners.

As an investor I am concerned about the following doomsday scenario:

Alternative configurations availability once first run demand configuration is done.

The obvious challenge facing TSLA has always been:

1 - What's production rate?

Now I am concerned about

2 - What happens to sales if production rate rockets but desired configurations are delayed?

Since I am likely keeping LR, PUP, adding in dual motor, that ends up raising ASP and margin to Tesla that is a good thing.

Two hundred thousand cars holding out for $35k base I would view as a negative.

Would love to know your thoughts and if I am missing something that will assuage my concerns.

I'm not sure why you are worrying about the investor stuff, as you can't appreciably change any of it. (This is coming from a fellow TSLA investor).

You are getting owner priority now and should be early in the list for the dual motor that you say that you want.

So, wait and get the AWD and enjoy the stock appreciation!

1 - What's production rate?

Check out the third chart:
2 - What happens to sales if production rate rockets but desired configurations are delayed?

I'm calculating the following deadlines. For example, [RWD + LR + PUP + Black interior] will reach 100% on 21 Jun 2018. They need to make other options available before this date. (LR: Long range, PUP: Premium Upgrades Package)

Active reservations / Region & Configuration / 100% completion date
502,495 / Global
265,317 / US / 24 Jan 2019
172,456 / US RWD / 24 Oct 2018
120,719 / US RWD LR / 29 Aug 2018
84,503 / US RWD LR PUP Any interior / 14 Jul 2018
67,602 / US RWD LR PUP Black interior / 21 Jun 2018

The dates are based on the following production estimates.

Quarter / Production / Deliveries
Q1 2018 / 22,410 / 17,455
Q2 2018 / 49,199 / 42,384
Q3 2018 / 75,448 / 71,014
Q4 2018 / 88,723 / 90,239
Q1 2019 / 103,425 / 96,324

Last edited:
You said something about ‘all Tesla owners before you got priority before you’. Not sure why you think that. You got priority now based on being a Tesla owner. It doesn’t matter that there were owners before you. It matters when you placed your reservation for the 3, where you are located, and that you are an owner period. If a person reserved after you, but owner a Tesla before you, you might get priority over them.

IMO conversation rate for non-owners will be completely different than it was for previous owners. On one hand non-owners will want to eagerly get their first Tesla ASAP, but on the other hand the current price might be quite high for many of them. Which factor is more prevalent, I don't know.

But I trust in Tesla knowing what they're doing, especially that they've had rough data on demand for each option since they opened the delivery estimator and everyone could select what options they're interested in.