Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm learning how to get in/out of my 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
My previous car was a 2011 Challenger R/T. Nice big 2 door car, I could flump down in the seats no problem. But on the 3, with its much smaller doors, I've got to be more careful.

At 6' tall and 310 lbs, I guess I'm a bit oversized, which won't help. It's not as bad as it sounds, I'm not that kind of low density superfat, like some of these guys you see where their gut hangs over the edges of their waist so far you have to wonder how they can use the bathroom properly. I used to work with this one guy named Dave, who was so fat he'd have a fat bulge above his belt and another below it. I'm not that bad. Getting out of the car isn't too bad. I open the door, put left foot on the ground, put right foot on that dead pedal footrest, and then get right out.

But getting in is the main issue. If I just drop into the car, my left thigh hits that ledge in the B pillar trim, and that's painful. So far my best technique is to turn 90 degrees to the car and back in, ass first. While keeping my left hand in the top edge of the rear door to go easy. Slowly drop to the seat and spin into place.

I'm on my second day of 3 ownership, and am still adjusting the easy entry and driving positions and saving them. It doesn't help that Franz is super skinny, so maybe the 3 wasn't really designed for people weighing nearly twice as much as he probably does.

Hey you went from American muscle to...not sure what to call it now.

A little help please.

I believe the model 3 has a lower stance then your challenger r/t. But maybe you knew this already.
Maybe get a suspension lift kit. Or you will adjust to it in due time.

Last edited:
At 260 lbs. I am happy with the Easy Entry, it pulls the wheel into the dash and pushes the seat forward until the B-pillar isn't in the way to get out, sort of pushing me out of the car. When I hit the Park button, I have to quickly hit the door button or I am going to have no place for my legs. The same is true in reverse. If a passenger sits behind me and I get in they fear being squished by the seat coming at them when I touch the brake. Need to put a sign back there.

Not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a 2 door Tesla, but our old 4 seater is my 2 door Volvo convertible. Getting in the back often meant taking the top down so people could climb over to get in the back. The Tesla has very nice rear seating. I originally was thinking of a Model S, not wanting to wait, but hit my head when sitting in the back seat. Cannot wait until I can ride back there and have my Model 3 drive me around.

-Randy