TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I'm living proof the Model S is the safest car ever made!

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jdovi, Oct 5, 2013.

1. jdovi

jdovi Member

Yesterday I was in a terrible car accident with my beloved Model S. I was hit by a driver who was talking on her cell phone and blew a red light. I got slammed at full speed while passing through an intersection. I was luck enough to walk away with no broken bones while the person who hit me left in an ambulance. I can tell you with absolute certainty, my model S protected me where other cars would have failed. This recent story of the car being unsafe due to a battery fire is ridiculous. My car did not so much as smoke, and not a drop of liquid was released. This is the safest car on the road hands down, and for me, I can say honestly say it saved my life. Thank you Elon..

IMG_4082.JPG
    Tesla Tire.JPG
    Side View.jpg

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Thank you for sharing your story and hope you'll be fixed up soon!

3. Adm

Adm Active Member

Happy to read you are ok.

What make and model was the other car?

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Wow. Glad you are ok and that they hit the front part of the car instead of the driver's door. Very scary.

5. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

Poor model s. Glad you are ok but I hate to see model s' in pain like that

6. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Every accident I see involving the model s impresses me more and more. So glad to hear the car protected you.

7. maekuz

maekuz Member

I hope you are ok! Thank you very much for sharing your story and the pictures! It seems to me that the frunk worked as an extra-large crumple zone and absorbed a lot of energy to the benefit of the driver. You dont get that with an ICE.

8. Hybris

Hybris Member

Happy that you are ok. Scary thing to crash. Done it twice both times in BMWs and been unharmed. Great to see how good the model s is in a crash. Hope the other driver os ok also.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks for posting (with pictures!).
    Glad you're ok.
    Please let us know (For Sale sub-section) if you have a salvage opportunity (like GasDoc did) because there has been a lot of interest in such things on TMC.
    Now that that's out of the way... ;)

What's next for you? Has your insurance or Tesla commented on whether the car can be repaired or have they talked about replacements? I'm very curious. Thanks. :)

10. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Poor Model S and lucky you... now this is a story that should be shown on the news after that fire hoopla.

11. zeron

zeron Member

That's a rather interesting damage pattern. The front of course, as you would expect, but theres significant damage to the rear, while the middle section looks pristine (just look at the drivers' door).

12. texex91

texex91 Banned

First--glad you are okay!

Second--thank you for posting. Where is the ball of fire and explosion? I just love that it not only saved your life, but shows that it IS the safest car in America.

Third--The media and press can kiss my a**. Step up and make a big deal about the S saving a life--ohh, no. Can't do that--not sensational enough.

God bless you and hope your new S will be on it's way soon.

13. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

I share BrianMan's welcome to the forums and thank you for posting.
    Irony that the photo background is a gas station!
    Your crash only reinforces (sorry) just how safe a car it is.
    Can't want to get back to mine ... glad you walked away ... yes!

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

One more thing:
    "And you should have seen the other guy/gal"

Any pictures (that you can post)?

Thanks.

15. K5ING

K5ING MegaMiler

That shows how hard the hit was. I'm guessing the rear snapped around from the impact and the rear-side of the two cars "kissed" rather hard.

Jdovi -- Glad you seem alright (but probably pretty sore right now). Please keep us posted.

16. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

So sorry you were hit. I had a similar experience being hit while crossing an intersection. PM me if you want to chat about details and dealing with the insurance companies.

Like you, we were able to walk away from the accident. The Model S is solid!

17. JPP

JPP Active Member

...any dashcam video like GasDoc? I am really wondering if I need to install one...Glad you are OK.

18. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

I've only had my S for ~40 days and I've encountered prolly half a dozen red-light running near-misses already, where my light went green, I started to pull out, saw some moron approaching the intersection at full speed, slammed on my brakes, and watched said moron sail through their red light into the intersection and right past the nose of my S. I'm to the point where I assume someone will run a light or stop sign. (This is in San Diego.)

19. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Apparently the chicken littles think that unless the car can withstand 25 tons of force from a metal object to its underside at freeway speed and not have an automatic fire extinguishing system that would not only put out or prevent any fire, but repair the puncture on the fly so that the driver didn't need to pull over, it isn't safe enough. So that a car can withstand a traumatic broadside hit like this and have the driver walk away unscathed, we should just ignore that and focus on a fireball caused by puncturing the frunk long after the occupant had left the car.

20. texex91

texex91 Banned

LOL--and true.