Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm living proof the Model S is the safest car ever made!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trust me - I don't treat head injuries lightly. But the impact didn't look significant enough to get a CHI especially with a deployed airbag. At some point with an intact passenger compartment and a fully functional crumple zone, the only difference in injuries is the weight of the car. If the Model S driver walked away with zero issues, it is unlikely that Hyundai driver had a significant head injury - given visually comparable crumple zones. Discounting the weight difference in the car, each driver experiences the same deceleration in the brain - right? Just basic physics. But if one passenger hits an airbag, he actually has less deceleration. Now frontal vs side deceleration do have differences but that is splitting hairs.

Not a naysayer here - the car may well be the safest on the road. Rollovers suck and that may never happen with a Model S.

But on the naysayer thought line here. In regards to ICE fires, how many of those are older cars? Is there comparable fire rate with a 2013 model? When Elon says it is 4 times less likely, I hope he realizes he is throwing in a 1955 Ford pickup with rotting fuel lines. I am quite confident the fire rate is not 4 times less than a 2013 model....

Sometimes it's not good to be the first car into the intersection. [arondaniel]

View attachment 32512

Beware of the lane choice not already blocked by dead steel. If you make the unblocked choice, stop to peer down the empty alleyway for the dreaded IBOOH!!

Drive your MS like you were on a motorcycle. :scared:
--

My first accident ever was the diagram you give above. Invisible Bat our of Hell ford panel van. I am a cyclist and so very paranoid about intersections. I use my horn a lot when I can't tell someones intention. If I see someone that doesn't show signs of stopping I take preventative evasive action (mostly slowing down or stopping).

I am glad to hear about your experience Jdovi. I am originally from LI myself. I wish you the best of luck in your insurance claim and a speedy replacement from Tesla.

Tesla just dropped off a beautiful white P85 loaner. This company's service just keeps getting better. I'm still working with the insurance company on how this will all be resolved but I'm getting a lot of support from Tesla in the interim.
IMG_4096.JPG

Tesla just dropped off a beautiful white P85 loaner. This company's service just keeps getting better. I'm still working with the insurance company on how this will all be resolved but I'm getting a lot of support from Tesla in the interim.

Yeah, I'd say that's nice, since it has 21" and I think your's was 19".

So just out of curiosity, is Tesla giving you a loaner until you get your new car--which could be months???

Is that standard procedure for owners with accidents--not judging, just asking :confused: If so that's pretty amazing.

View attachment 32540

VIN 13053? If so, that's the loaner I had. This one has some serious 'balloon squeal' if you punch it. (it's not governed either...heh heh heh..)

jdovi,
Oh crap! I'm so thankful you're okay and that your MS held up exceptionally well. I believe I just had discovered your car on Broadway Ave? Recognize the plate. So very sorry for your experience, but relieved you are safe and sound. That was horrific, and would have been much worse with just about any other car out there.

Please keep us updated as to how things are handled with insurance / Tesla.

Best,
Scott

Texex91, this P85 is beautiful but for some reason it was not outfitted with air suspension. It was a chore just getting it off the trailer without that option so for me I'd have to pass on this one. But oh man it's gorgeous. The guys at my office are harassing me to reorder in White. Love my silver though. Here's a picture of my car I had taken by a professional photographer a few months ago. I miss it already. Stsanford, yes indeed it's me you saw on Broadway..
Tesla - Earth & Skye.png

Texex91, this P85 is beautiful but for some reason it was not outfitted with air suspension. It was a chore just getting it off the trailer without that option so for me I'd have to pass on this one. But oh man it's gorgeous. The guys at my office are harassing me to reorder in White. Love my silver though. Here's a picture of my car I had taken by a professional photographer a few months ago. I miss it already. Stsanford, yes indeed it's me you saw on Broadway..

I could understand that. Silver is awesome--wonder if you will end up ordering different options this go round. Keep us updated.

@jdovi - so glad that you're doing fine. My family always rides in Model S now, knowing it's not just the coolest car but also the one that keeps all of us safe. Also, great to know that wonderful response from Tesla, truely Worldclass service. Hope your very own Model S arrives soon.

No doubt. The drivers in Austin are HORRIBLE, and I see people running lights, stop signs, etc almost everyday.

There is so much traffic and congestion here now, since everyone and their mother are moving here (150 per day--and no infrastructure to accommodate).

I wish Texas would ban texting and talking while driving (talking would have to be done with Bluetooth).

I can always tell when one is texting, and they typically are doing 5-10 MPH under the speed limit, and driving all over the road.

Actually in Austin it is now illegal to email or text while driving, with exceptions made for red lights. Talking on the phone--even with an earpiece or speakerphone--is banned in school zones.

Actually in Austin it is now illegal to email or text while driving, with exceptions made for red lights. Talking on the phone--even with an earpiece or speakerphone--is banned in school zones.

Okay, well no one knows the law, because they are texting while driving (I've lived here 20 years and didn't know).

The school zone thing is fine, the rest, I think Austin needs to do a better job of awareness, ticketing and enforcing.

Texas needs to ban it and ban talking unless on bluetooth...IMHO.

Okay off soapbox...