Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm looking for an advise please. What winter tires should I buy and from where to get those installed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for an advise please. What winter tires should I buy and from where to get those installed?
Are you able to access a Tesla Service Center? If so, they can help you.

For winter tires, Tesla is using Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO 3.

If you can't access to Tesla Service Center, your local tire shop should be able to order the above tires for you.

Any large chain (national) tire shop will be able to order, install winter tires for your Tesla Model Y vehicle. If you own a Performance Model Y with the 21" wheels then the best, perhaps only option is to purchase a set of wheels and winter tires. 19" wheels, tires would probably be the best option. 18" wheels may not fit over the brake calipers of the Performance Model Y. You can also shop online at TireRack.

I thought I would be able to buy Michelin CrossClimate 2 for my 20” induction wheels, but the width is only 245 vs the 255 that came with those wheels. Does anyone know if they would still work on my rims. I saw this video and these tires rock!! It’s starting to snow now and then up here in Tahoe.

I thought I would be able to buy Michelin CrossClimate 2 for my 20” induction wheels, but the width is only 245 vs the 255 that came with those wheels. Does anyone know if they would still work on my rims. I saw this video and these tires rock!! It’s starting to snow now and then up here in Tahoe.
Tesla's OE Goodyear Eagle F1 all season tires with the 20" Induction wheels have a load index value of 101 (1829lbs), The Michelin CrossClimate 2 in 245/40R-20 have a load index value of 99 (1709lbs). Both of these tires have an Extra Load (XL) load rating. A tire shop may not be willing to install any tire that does not have at least the same or higher load index value as the OE tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

If you compare the two tires 255/40R-20 and 245/40R-20 the overall dimensions are very close. Tire Size Comparison

Reactions: Oneand0
Make sure you call whatever tire shop you plan to use before you buy tires online and ship them there. A local shop here gets wholesale prices from tire rack and it would be cheaper for me to just buy the same tires through them because that includes the mount and balance. If I buy the tires myself online and ship them to the tire shop, the fees for mount and balance make it more expensive than just ordering through the shop.

Tesla's OE Goodyear Eagle F1 all season tires with the 20" Induction wheels have a load index value of 101 (1829lbs), The Michelin CrossClimate 2 in 245/40R-20 have a load index value of 99 (1709lbs). Both of these tires have an Extra Load (XL) load rating. A tire shop may not be willing to install any tire that does not have at least the same or higher load index value as the OE tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

If you compare the two tires 255/40R-20 and 245/40R-20 the overall dimensions are very close. Tire Size Comparison
Thank you for your input and advice. It’s about a 120 lbs off from the factory tires. I don’t know much about tires. I remember a couple of times buying from America’s Tires for my Ford Explorer and they were not exact spec and they said I would be okay. So maybe this will go the same way? I will see tomorrow. Thanks again!