Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm missing 14% of my battery capacity...any ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good chart. If we can’t access a portion then they shouldn’t show it as part of the range, right? If ~5% is held for brick protection than shouldn’t it be rated for 238 miles max? On a trip charge I get 247 miles shown so my battery degradation is theoretically low too.
Well, the capacity of the battery is the capacity of the battery. And that's it. If it's RANGE you're talking about that's a can of worms. Speed, Up hill, downhill, wind, rain, cold, surface, changes in elevation, etc. Some computer app could factor those in but I don't know of any that are real time. Wind (and speed) and changes in elevation are probably the biggest factors. I'm not sure how you can deal with that. Don't forget though, it's the same in an ICE vehicle. It's just that the initial range is typically a lot more.

I agree with almost everything that has been said regarding the capacity of the battery versus listed. I have an 85D. I know the rated range is based on 290 wh/mile. My car has a 273 mile range with a full charge. 290 times 273 is 79,170 Whs or about 79 kWh, so I think that charge is a little off.

The vampire drain has decreased a lot since my car was new. When I wake up in the morning my car has the same miles as when I parked it most mornings, or the loss of a mile or two. However, I do notice the numbers never seem to add up, like the OP states. My car is parked in a garage almost all the time, so it is not the cabin overheat protection. I generally do not charge my car on the weekends, and Monday morning I usually am missing 15-20 miles, even though I am not losing them overnight. It is strange. I wondered if the computer was "hiding" the vampire drain and, even though it shows I did not lose any overnight, things true up when I start driving.