Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Im not one for conspiracies but used Model X's..something is strange

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just canceled my Model Y order (thanks for the help answering some questions) and I have been watching used model X inventory using ev-cpo.com. I have 4 combinations of alerts set (basically any combo of 90 or 100 watt batteries and 6 seats). There hasn't been a new 'used' model x added since last Wednesday(right before the X price drop). I also can not get a used car advisor to return a call or an email (submitted by chat, by phone, website, using direct lines of two advisors who responded prior to the last week). I realize this is a small data set and I am jumping to conclusions but I have to wonder if Tesla is controlling used inventory to drive new sales.

Thoughts? I just want to find a good deal! (haha)

For sure, it’s obvious that during the shut down and COVID-19, their factory shut down as well, so there were fewer new car production, so they dropped the used car price to have more turn over on used inventory. Now with reopening the factory, new car inventory was back online and had price dropped to promote new car sells at the meantime increase used car price to move these buyers toward the new cars...

Reactions: DanCar and E Dizzle
So I just canceled my Model Y order (thanks for the help answering some questions) and I have been watching used model X inventory using ev-cpo.com. I have 4 combinations of alerts set (basically any combo of 90 or 100 watt batteries and 6 seats). There hasn't been a new 'used' model x added since last Wednesday(right before the X price drop). I also can not get a used car advisor to return a call or an email (submitted by chat, by phone, website, using direct lines of two advisors who responded prior to the last week). I realize this is a small data set and I am jumping to conclusions but I have to wonder if Tesla is controlling used inventory to drive new sales.

You should try using TeslaCPO.io - Search Tesla's Vehicle Inventory I get notifications nearly every day (got one yesterday) of used MXs being added.

I get notifications nearly every day (got one yesterday) of used MXs being added.

You didn't read the OP. He said that there weren't any new listings of used Model Xs that fit his criteria added since last Wednesday. ("basically any combo of 90 or 100 watt batteries and 6 seats").

EV-CPO.com has added and listed additional new listings of used Model Xs everyday.

@Msd801 -- please contact me to review your search criteria. I see the following cars that fit your stated criteria added recently:
Code:
05-30      4 cars
06-01      5 cars
06-02      5 cars

Last edited:
You missed an opportunity when most states where shutdown. Once they started reopening Tesla jacked up prices. Will be interesting when Tesla starts dropping prices again. From past experience they do it when their used inventory count is high. Right now Model S inventory is high, greater than 500. Model X inventory count is low, around 225. My guestimate is that Tesla will start to drop prices again significantly in 3 months on Model X.

Reactions: Msd801 and gaswalla

PM me and I’ll shoot you my email address. I have one that I might be selling, but I’m not sure if it’s what you’re looking for.

I read the title and immediately thought of the Ghostbuster's theme song (there's something strange in the Tesla neighborhood).

OP, Tesla is notorious for controlling inventory and then unloading all of them at once.

I read the title and immediately thought of the Ghostbuster's theme song (there's something strange in the Tesla neighborhood).

OP, Tesla is notorious for controlling inventory and then unloading all of them at once.

HA. It appears I was just new to this, and to be honest it makes some sense from business perspective.

I just dont understand their inability to communicate with potential customers (and ACTUAL customers).

You didn't read the OP. He said that there weren't any new listings of used Model Xs that fit his criteria added since last Wednesday. ("basically any combo of 90 or 100 watt batteries and 6 seats").

EV-CPO.com has added and listed additional new listings of used Model Xs everyday.

@Msd801 -- please contact me to review your search criteria. I see the following cars that fit your stated criteria added recently:
Code:
05-30      4 cars
06-01      5 cars
06-02      5 cars
Not to “pick nits” here, but the OP said, “There hasn't been a new 'used' model x added since last Wednesday(right before the X price drop).” I wasn’t knocking your website (I’m a fan of it) but rather, was trying to widen his options.

Reactions: Msd801
You missed an opportunity when most states where shutdown. Once they started reopening Tesla jacked up prices. Will be interesting when Tesla starts dropping prices again. From past experience they do it when their used inventory count is high. Right now Model S inventory is high, greater than 500. Model X inventory count is low, around 225. My guestimate is that Tesla will start to drop prices again significantly in 3 months on Model X.

I would agree with your guestimate. I also suspect Tesla (along with other auto makers) will continue to drop prices on its vehicles to hasten stagnate sales due to the current economic conditions.

I used Tesla-Info.com and was able to track down a "hidden inventory" demo model Performance in Orlando.

I had been tracking a Long Range in DC...Blue, Cream interior, 22s, 6-seat, FSD, FUSC.

The Demo model in Orlando was also blue, black interior, 6-seat, FUSC, on 20s. It also came with a $13,610 discount, as a floor model.

I am adding FSD to my order, so effectively I paid $7,000 to get Performance w/Ludicrous.

I consider that a win in the Tesla Deal Hunting world.

I used Tesla-Info.com and was able to track down a "hidden inventory" demo model Performance in Orlando.

I had been tracking a Long Range in DC...Blue, Cream interior, 22s, 6-seat, FSD, FUSC.

The Demo model in Orlando was also blue, black interior, 6-seat, FUSC, on 20s. It also came with a $13,610 discount, as a floor model.

I am adding FSD to my order, so effectively I paid $7,000 to get Performance w/Ludicrous.

I consider that a win in the Tesla Deal Hunting world.
Congrats on your "hunting expedition". I love the Blue/Cream combo.

Sorry, I stand corrected, but it does appear there are many Model X's with Free Supercharging below $70K, just my specific criteria, they eliminated free charging for the 2016 models under $70K.

It is interesting that they are removing FUSC from select used inventory, I wonder why...