Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm obsessed with "Power Off".. does it make any difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is so funny.

You have no idea what that 'button' is doing.

Yes, you hear a few things shut down a few moments sooner than if you walked away, but don't really know what is going on.

If it feels better to push something, then push it and assume it's shutting things down to a satisfactory level for you.

I'm comfortable that the car is doing the right think when I get up and see the speedometer flip over.

Because it just feels really awkward to just put the car in park and walk away with everything still on and running.
You're going to hate me for this, but I have a surprise for you. Most newer ICE cars never turn off either. That's why some can drain the battery in as little as two weeks. Computers are always on, checking for your key fob, monitoring for your phone, checking the car for evidence of intrusion etc.

You're going to hate me for this, but I have a surprise for you. Most newer ICE cars never turn off either. That's why some can drain the battery in as little as two weeks. Computers are always on, checking for your key fob, monitoring for your phone, checking the car for evidence of intrusion etc.

Yeah, I realize that. but in most cases (ICE cars without auto stop/start) you still need to shut off the motor with a stop/start button or key fob.

See my other posts... It's really not about a total power shutdown. It's about walking away leaving the car entirely powered up.

Yeah, I realize that. but in most cases (ICE cars without auto stop/start) you still need to shut off the motor with a stop/start button or key fob.

See my other posts... It's really not about a total power shutdown. It's about walking away leaving the car entirely powered up.

But the car is always on though. It's much like a smartphone. If you turn it on the screen turns on but if you let it sit there for a few min the screen first dims then it goes to sleep. It can still receive a phone call and wake back up but it doesn't use as much power as if it were completely on. I realize it might not feel natural to walk away with the car 'on' but 'on' here is different than an ICE. You aren't leaving the gas engine running putting fumes into your garage or anything like that. Since you aren't really concerned about the small amount of power until the car goes to sleep after you leave there really isn't too much to worry about. Much like no longer having to get a physical key out in cars today to start it, new cars and technologies sometimes require getting used to new ways on interacting with them.

Since the screen not going dark is a concern for you, have you pushed the key fob to lock the car instead of auto lock when walk away? I believe the screens go dark them and you know the car is locked.

Last edited:
Yes, I usually do that too before the car has a chance to shut down itself. I like to see the door handles retract as I'm walking away to confirm the car is locked.

Great. I wouldn't worry about it then. There are so many other things to worry about that I'd put this down there pretty low especially since you aren't worried about the power used during those few minutes before the car goes to sleep. Maybe send ownership an e-mail asking them the difference between 'power off' and when the car goes to sleep after being locked. I think they might be the same.

Do you not trust it to go into sleep mode when you walk away? I guess I'm not seeing the problem. Even if it somehow stayed on you're talking about the energy loss back to the pre sleep mode days which is maybe 8kWh a day. Sure that's a lot but unlikely to leave you stranded unless you are traveling. Either way, I've never come back to my car and found it not in sleep mode.

Do you not trust it to go into sleep mode when you walk away? I guess I'm not seeing the problem. Even if it somehow stayed on you're talking about the energy loss back to the pre sleep mode days which is maybe 8kWh a day. Sure that's a lot but unlikely to leave you stranded unless you are traveling. Either way, I've never come back to my car and found it not in sleep mode.

I never said it was a logical thing.. as I said above several times, it just feels awkward to not have to turn off/shut down anything and just walk away. No need to analyze it further.

Not in my experience.. everything stays on for a while until it powers down itself OR I hit the lock button on the fob... but no, it does not power down as soon as I close the door.

Many things stop when I close the door (with me on the outside, I mean); the radio goes off, HVAC goes off, etc. Other things (like the screen go off once I take the fob away and give it...10? 15? seconds, I forget how long. If you stay next to it with the fob in range, you're just keeping it awake. ;-)

I'm guessing the screen staying on while the car's unlocked is an unfortunately misleading visual cue for you, since I can't imagine your radio keeps playing after you shut the door with no humans inside and the HVAC similarly should shut off. (That said, I'm so trusting, I have never put my ear to the door to listen to make sure.)

Due to driving a manual trans in my M5 and often downshifting instead of braking, the regen wasn't anything I hadn't experienced before. Perhaps a little more aggressive than downshifting, but no, not strange at all.

Well, I bet it took some getting used to downshifting in a manual transmission at first which became second nature after a while. The same is true with just leaving your MS unattended when you're not driving it. You'll simply get used to it and you won't even think about it. I know you can do it. Just don't try so hard. Let it happen. Don't let your mind get in the way. So just to repeat -- when you're done driving, put the car in park, shut the door behind you, and slowly walk away. All will be fine when you return to the car.

Last edited:
I was doing the same thing with the walk away locks. Felt so odd to get out of the car and not lock it. After confirming with my iPhone for awhile I just got used to it and don't even think about it now.

I was doing the same thing with the walk away locks. Felt so odd to get out of the car and not lock it. After confirming with my iPhone for awhile I just got used to it and don't even think about it now.

I'm a bit on-and-off with this. I read stuff here about occasionally it not working, plus the delay was longer than I'd like sometimes, so sometimes I lock manually and sometimes I don't. Very public, busy places like 7-11, I frequently manually lock. At work or home or mostly empty parking lots, I rarely manually lock.

(I should just stop and trust it; I've never known (!) it to not auto-lock after I walk away.)

What % of general public would know or guess what to do with MS door handles anyway? And why not just a push button instead? Just a 1 inch round pushbutton like on the new soda dispensers.

shameless ploy to sustain the longest ever ephemera thread
--

What % of general public would know or guess what to do with MS door handles anyway? And why not just a push button instead? Just a 1 inch round pushbutton like on the new soda dispensers.

shameless ploy to sustain the longest ever ephemera thread
--

You'll have to forgive my TMC noobiness, but are you referring to this thread, or is that a reference to some other thread?

Not in my experience.. everything stays on for a while until it powers down itself OR I hit the lock button on the fob... but no, it does not power down as soon as I close the door.

OK, I don't know about your car, but,

1 - when my butt leaves the seat the car goes to OFF status and speedometer flips over,
2 - when I close the door, both screens go black, HVAC shuts off, music system shuts down.

The only thing still on are the dome lights, but I have them set on auto and they take several seconds to go dark (like a lot of cars).

So I have no idea what you are talking about.