TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I'm on 2018.21.9 and I'm getting ZERO Nags...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jeffro01, Jun 15, 2018.

1. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Since there seems to be an unending flood of threads where people can't seem to stop whining about being nagged, I thought I'd start one for those of us who can follow directions and are getting zero nags...

2018.21.9 - 500-1000 miles of AP1 driving, zero nags. Not one.

Look, I know this is a ridiculously stupid thread but so are the near dozen "AP Sucks" threads... I get some of you are having issues with the wheel sensing torque which very well could indicate you have a hardware issue. Those of you who just don't want to put a hand on the wheel I feel absolutely no sympathy for you. None. AP1/2/2.5 is NOT autonomous driving, it's a driving assistant system.

If people would stop doing stupid crap while using AP then all of you affected wouldn't have to suffer but until that time, just use the feature correctly and you'll be fine.

Jeff

• Like x 19
    • Love x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 1
  2. liuping

liuping Active Member

I'll have service check it next time I have the car in, but I doubt they will "fix" the torque sensing.

I have no sympathy for people who don't hold the wheel, just as I don't have sympathy for people who are not watching the road while in AP mode. IMHO, all the AP accidents so far would have been avoided it the driver was paying even partial attention to the road.

I do have sympathy for people like myself who do and still get nagged. It's annoying because I am watching the road and holding the wheel, and now I'm distracted by a flashing while light on the dash which forces me to tug unnaturally on the wheel so I can continue using AP.

• Like x 5
  3. Unpilot

Unpilot Active Member

I'm on 2018.21.9 and I do not see a difference in the nags. Of course I also don't let go of the wheel for an extended period of time either.

I agree with OP that this is really a non issue

• Like x 6
  4. Frank88

Frank88 Banned

Are you one of the 90% of drivers polled that rated themselves as an above average driver?

• Funny x 6
  5. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

We all are. :)

• Funny x 1
  6. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Well, statistically nearly half of us that are part of that 90% actually are above average...

7. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Why of course:) But since I have a perfect driving record since 1968 meaning no accidents or moving violations I think I qualify.

• Like x 1
  8. Frank88

Frank88 Banned

I rest my case :)

9. Frank88

Frank88 Banned

I used to know someone that drove home pissed from the pub every night.
    Never was a problem.
    Until there WAS a problem.

• Like x 1
  10. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

I get the nag but like always I just nudge the wheel slightly and it goes away. big deal. in 32k miles of driving I've never been put in "autopilot jail"

• Like x 1
  11. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

In my case 21.9 requires pressure or tension on the AP steering control.

My driving style did not change over night coincidently with the update. I drive with my hand on the wheel - all the time.

I am glad to see some people like the update. Unfortunately for me it requires a change in my driving style.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. woof

woof Model X 75D Blue. Model 3 LR Red.

@jeffro01 what is your steering setting at? Sport, Normal, Comfort (I think those are the choices). I wonder if that setting makes a difference in torque sensing.

• Helpful x 1
  13. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

That would explain a lot. The majority of the people who have filed complaints *have their hand(s) on the wheel* and now get 10x the nags they got previously.

It's simply not an acceptable "solution" when the driver's eyes are taken *off* the road due to poor monitoring. In this case, it appears that both the algorithm and the "torque sensing" are not up to the task.

Not once in 50,000+ miles post-advent of AS (early 2015) with AP1 did I lose AS due to "AP jail". Now especially with this miserable *21.9 failure (call it what you like, but when Elon tweets that there's a fix coming, obviously there's a problem), AP jail looms large constantly. Again - that's *with my hand(s) on the wheel*.

Unacceptable.

If the nags were in my field of vision (HUD, anyone?), that would be better. Best would be having sensors that actually detected hands on the wheel when they're on the wheel. Imagine that.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. Joe F

Joe F FUD Buster

I’ve been using comfort and never a problem. Credible reports from a few though have convinced me that AP has indeed gone wonky for some after the install.

Advice: First try a reboot. If still failing and the nag can’t be cleared with a single finger on the spoke at 3 or 9 o’clock, turn AutoSteer off and back on again in settings. I have seen where a toggle of summon was needed when it went totally brain dead and nothing worked. It’s worth the few minutes to try, and takes less time than reading through the many threads about “nags.”

AP1 owners who still expect to be less safe and keep their hands off the wheel for extended periods of time will not be happy, but those on the road with then will be, IMO.

15. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

What fix did he tweet out? Only thing I saw when I was reading up yesterday is that they are going to fix the message. Meaning, instead of "Hold steering wheel" it will say something to the effect of "Turn steering wheel slightly to apply torque".

• Like x 1
  16. d21mike

d21mike Member

Exactly.

17. fmm

fmm Member

“If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.”

Mario Andretti

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. Joe F

Joe F FUD Buster

Final thought: If rebooting or toggling AS doesn’t work, toggle AP. Reason being, I remember a long time ago reading (@verygreen maybe?) AP keeps some persistent data about AP between installs. I think it was camera calibration as best I recall, but there may be other data as well. Toggling AP might trash the data and start anew, but it might mean another calibration for those who have gotten same. I’ve never received a calibration message or delay. I guess my camera is correctly aligned.

19. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Nice !! I thought I was doing well since 1986 ..

20. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

I have it in sport.