Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm on 2018.21.9 and I'm getting ZERO Nags...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would the setting matter? That’s how the steering responds to your input, not how AP/AS responds.

And I feel the message should be a simple ‘hold the wheel from turning’. That gets rid of all the misconceptions about wiggling, squeezing, etc.

‘Up and down’ don’t mean anything to many people. Could mean ‘pull down on the wheel’. Frames of reference are everything. :D

Just did a 816 km round trip with 2018.21.9 installed on my Model S and I can say I hardly got any nags. I always drive with a hand on the wheel but it seems the new way of sensing the torque on the steering wheel works better than the old way.
Yep, if you are used to ‘stop the wheel from turning’ it still works. If you are a ‘wiggler’ It seems to work less well.

• Informative
Reactions: skitown
I always hold the wheel and initially complained about the increased nags the first few days. Since rebooting and putting a few miles on the car, it's not too bad. I drove about 80 miles yesterday and really only noticed the nags a few times. I still never received any beeps. We did some tests and did see nags every 20 seconds or so if we intentionally didn't touch the wheel.

I'm doing a 750 mile trip this weekend and am no longer concerned. I'm thinking I'll see the nags a couple dozen times on the trip, far shy of the potential 1500 nags that I was worried about.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I already hold the wheel and initially complained about the increased nags the first few days. Since rebooting and putting a few miles on the car, it's not too bad. I drove about 80 miles yesterday and really only noticed the nags a few times. I still never received any beeps. We did some tests and did see them every 20 seconds or so if we intentionally didn't touch the wheel.
Beeps tend to happen in congestion; I use autopilot a lot in urban areas as well, partly out of amusement and interest than any useful requirement - and perhaps it helps contribute data back in tricky conditions because my vehicle always uploads lots of data. What I've found is that approaching some intersections with lots of cars ahead where line markings are mostly hidden it will warn much more easily than on a highway, and sometimes just go straight to beeping, even if I've been clearly holding the steering wheel enough to have prevented nagging. It seems to be a kind of "escalated" warning telling you that autopilot is unsure.

Beeps tend to happen in congestion; I use autopilot a lot in urban areas as well, partly out of amusement and interest than any useful requirement - and perhaps it helps contribute data back in tricky conditions because my vehicle always uploads lots of data. What I've found is that approaching some intersections with lots of cars ahead where line markings are mostly hidden it will warn much more easily than on a highway, and sometimes just go straight to beeping, even if I've been clearly holding the steering wheel enough to have prevented nagging. It seems to be a kind of "escalated" warning telling you that autopilot is unsure.
I’ve noted this also where it’s not linear at all. Highways vs more local streets vs what the surroundings are like are definitely different environments to AP. We’re tsking a trip this weekend and 2018.21.9 should be a fun companion! :D

After all the commotion on the forum about the Nags I put some more attention to it.

I drove driver assist (I think Tesla made a major mistake calling it autopilot) in a very curved road here in Switzerland and on the highway.
In the past almost inthe first curve it went wrong and I had to take over, now the car breaks on time and can follow the road very well. Highway usage of the driver assist is good and NO Nags.
The driver assist I have in my 1 year old Volvo V90 is nagging me more often compared with the Tesla. Needless to say the Volvo will not adapt the speed before a curve etc. I think with this version is jump forward and brings the car closer to AP1 (that I had before).
With other features like 360 degree camera, collision warning and dead angle detection my Volvo is light years further.

Why would the setting matter? That’s how the steering responds to your input, not how AP/AS responds.
Steering settings matter as it changes the firmness of the wheel, right? So the firmer the steering (sport) the more force you have to exert to turn the wheel. The less firm (comfort) is the exact opposite, obviously.

So what are the issues most have with canceling AS: “I have to apply too much force to get the nags to go away”

Gee, if only there was a way to modify how much force it takes to steer the car...

I drove to Montreal on the old firmware version and back on the new. I drive with normal steering setting and hold the steering wheel at the bottom with both hands. I remove one to change the radio, adjust nav, etc.

I drove the same the way up to Montreal and the way back. And it was exactly the same route.

Way up no nags. Way back constant nags and got the naughty message meaning couldn’t use it again. So I stopped and started off again.

I’m a pretty good driver. I hold the steering wheel just like I have with AP2 since it came out. So yes this is more naggy and it seems it requires me to put much more torque on the steering wheel than before.

Since there seems to be an unending flood of threads where people can't seem to stop whining about being nagged, I thought I'd start one for those of us who can follow directions and are getting zero nags...

2018.21.9 - 500-1000 miles of AP1 driving, zero nags. Not one.

Look, I know this is a ridiculously stupid thread but so are the near dozen "AP Sucks" threads... I get some of you are having issues with the wheel sensing torque which very well could indicate you have a hardware issue. Those of you who just don't want to put a hand on the wheel I feel absolutely no sympathy for you. None. AP1/2/2.5 is NOT autonomous driving, it's a driving assistant system.

If people would stop doing stupid crap while using AP then all of you affected wouldn't have to suffer but until that time, just use the feature correctly and you'll be fine.

Jeff
Thanks for starting this. I thought I might be the only one. I get fewer nags now as the torque to break self steering is much lower thus easier for the car to sense my hands on the wheel. I had to try to trigger the new nag flasher

Reactions: jeffro01 and ahkahn
That would explain a lot. The majority of the people who have filed complaints *have their hand(s) on the wheel* and now get 10x the nags they got previously.

It's simply not an acceptable "solution" when the driver's eyes are taken *off* the road due to poor monitoring. In this case, it appears that both the algorithm and the "torque sensing" are not up to the task.

Not once in 50,000+ miles post-advent of AS (early 2015) with AP1 did I lose AS due to "AP jail". Now especially with this miserable *21.9 failure (call it what you like, but when Elon tweets that there's a fix coming, obviously there's a problem), AP jail looms large constantly. Again - that's *with my hand(s) on the wheel*.

Unacceptable.

If the nags were in my field of vision (HUD, anyone?), that would be better. Best would be having sensors that actually detected hands on the wheel when they're on the wheel. Imagine that.

The “Holier Than Thou” crowd is so quick to jump on some of us because they immediately judge that we either aren’t holding the steering wheel or we are numnuts and don’t know how to hold the steering wheel. (And that’s after successfully using AP1 / AP2 for well over 70k miles without nags).

There are absolutely some cars that have or are experiencing an extraordinary amount of torque / resistance while steering fo keep the nag at bay. So much that it is right up to the point of disengaging AP as if taking over. Thank goodness I was able to reset mine and it is working as intended.

Thank goodness not everyone here immediately jumps on the driver before actually listening or understanding what’s going on. For those that just enjoy bashing people and pointing fingers...they’ll never change. For the others that actually want to help the community....keep up the good work.

I’ll get off my soapbox and make room for the OP and others to proclaim “it’s not Tesla or the car that’s the problem”. Carry on...

Steering settings matter as it changes the firmness of the wheel, right? So the firmer the steering (sport) the more force you have to exert to turn the wheel. The less firm (comfort) is the exact opposite, obviously.

So what are the issues most have with canceling AS: “I have to apply too much force to get the nags to go away”

Gee, if only there was a way to modify how much force it takes to steer the car...

The steering setting seems like it could have an impact.. but I’m scared to update For fear of constant nags.

I usually drive in comfort steering.

Perhaps someone who has updated could report back their nag experiences on all the different steering settings?

Completely agree with the OP here. I do not notice any difference in nags compared to previous firmware.

I still do get nags when holding the wheel, but I got that previously too. It has not become more frequent.

My steering wheel is on the standard firmness setting.

One important thing that I've noticed previously: I think that nags are more common on straight roads, when there's very little steering input from the car for your hands to "resist." On curvy roads, the turning of the wheel inherently forces your hand to resist against it.

The steering setting seems like it could have an impact.. but I’m scared to update For fear of constant nags.

Perhaps someone who has updated could report back their nag experiences on all the different steering settings?
Just do it. It’s not the major problem some are making it out to be.

There is a possibility you may have to reset some settings to force the steering to recalibrate. It’s not a big deal and is trivial to do.

See this for how to proceed.

• Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones

I entertained this idea shortly after this release. Changing the setting from comfort to sport I couldn't discern any difference in the nags though (and I'm one that does get them often on straight roads.)