Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm on 2020.4, and still no updates. Is there a way to force my M3 to update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model 3 SR+, and I'm located in Denmark. When i got the car about 2 weeks ago, it imidiately updated to 2020.4, but i haven't received any news on updating to either 2020.8.1 or 2020.12 at all. I have AP HW3.0 (since it's a brand new car). Is there a way for me to force my car to update?

I have just heard that they have stopped the roll out of .8.1 and .12 because of typical Beta problems - I got the .8.1 - and it seems to have improved the voice commands but not much else.

A new and better one will be along soon.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS
Try one/both of these things.

Make sure you're on "Advanced"
Disconnect/re-connect to WiFi.
Do a hard reset of the car.

This has worked for me when it seems like a lot of people have gotten the recent update and I haven't yet. Not 100% of the time, but most of the time it popped up and started downloading.

I have a model 3 SR+, and I'm located in Denmark. When i got the car about 2 weeks ago, it imidiately updated to 2020.4, but i haven't received any news on updating to either 2020.8.1 or 2020.12 at all. I have AP HW3.0 (since it's a brand new car). Is there a way for me to force my car to update?
RELAX you are NOT behind since almost ½ are on 20.4.x including me.

IMG_3457.jpeg

Try one/both of these things.

Make sure you're on "Advanced"
Disconnect/re-connect to WiFi.
Do a hard reset of the car.

This has worked for me when it seems like a lot of people have gotten the recent update and I haven't yet. Not 100% of the time, but most of the time it popped up and started downloading.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but what really happened for you is the only thing that works for getting an update:
  • When Tesla decides to give it to you
Your car may very well have received an update when you did one of the things mentioned in the post, but it only updated because it was your turn (in other words, coincidental timing). There have been many discussions about this on TMC (and other places) and they all come back to this.

The one other thing people have done is submit a service request. Personally, I think it is childish to waste the service department's time with this unless there is a specific, legitimate need (which is pretty unlikely). Otherwise, one is just being rude and impatient.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but what really happened for you is the only thing that works for getting an update:
  • When Tesla decides to give it to you
Your car may very well have received an update when you did one of the things mentioned in the post, but it only updated because it was your turn (in other words, coincidental timing). There have been many discussions about this on TMC (and other places) and they all come back to this.

The one other thing people have done is submit a service request. Personally, I think it is childish to waste the service department's time with this unless there is a specific, legitimate need (which is pretty unlikely). Otherwise, one is just being rude and impatient.
I am very aware of that thread.

How is it that I didn't get a notification for a download, yet I do one or both of these things, and it instantly pops up?

It's possible I WAS ready for it, but something wasn't letting it pop up, but once I did one of these things, it then popped up.

If I did these and it didn't work, then yes, my VIN wasn't ready, but I have done this multiple times and it then instantly started downloading. I highly doubt that in the 30 seconds it took to do this, magically it was my "turn" so to speak.

You are doing these things when you get into the car. It takes a few seconds for the car to come on and connect to the network. So it is right in the window for when your car is aware it has an update.

If you can "trigger" the update download after you've been driving for a few minutes, then I might believe these triggers are working.

You are doing these things when you get into the car. It takes a few seconds for the car to come on and connect to the network. So it is right in the window for when your car is aware it has an update.

If you can "trigger" the update download after you've been driving for a few minutes, then I might believe these triggers are working.
I’ve gotten a notification on my phone before about an update being available, these times it didn’t. I got in the car, waited, nothing, then did these steps, and boom, update popped up and started downloading.

Think what you want, but it’s worked.

The way I see it, there's a time to be impatient about a software release (e.g., a new feature you've been waiting for, a performance/range increase, etc...) and this isn't it. These are just normal maintenance releases that contain small bug fixes, simple tweaks, and of course a few new bugs for next month's release to solve.

I'm still on 2020.4 as well, and it's working quite well for me other than when I answer text messages. I have no desire to get 2020.8 or 2020.12 if they stopped it because there are issues worthy of stopping the rollout. I'm glad there are people ahead of me who will find the issues before I have to.

I work in software quality. I'd like my ride home to be work-free :cool:

There's several stories of people getting the HW3 upgrade and being downgraded to an older version.

Some of these new builds might be for HW2.5 only.

Elon has hinted that there's a rewrite of a HW3-optimized coming soon, which could explain why no new features at this point.

I'm still on 2020.4, the new updates don't have anything really appealing for SR+ owners, so I don't see what the hurry is, this is nothing like the wait for V10. Patience is key. Make sure you're connected to wifi and on advanced update mode, then just wait.

Just took delivery of a 2020 LR AWD Monday. It's on 2019.35.108. I've tried some of the suggestions but no go. I hav to set up an apt for a couple of minor things that need adjustments. Should I include the software request?