Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm seeing red...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, now that I got your attention...here is my (very) first world problem:

I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on a 70D and can't quite settle on a color. I don't like red cars in general. I find them too flashy, they are just "not me". For as long as I can remember, I've owned black cars. Classic, some would even say boring.

Well, I really, really, like the MC Red and to me the car looks stunning. So I'm torn and my question is this: are there owners on here that similarly are/we're not red car people and yet went with MC red? How is this working out for you?

f

ps: I told you, first world problem. :smile:

I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on a 70D and can't quite settle on a color. I don't like red cars in general. I find them too flashy, they are just "not me". For as long as I can remember, I've owned black cars. Classic, some would even say boring.

Well, I really, really, like the MC Red and to me the car looks stunning. So I'm torn and my question is this: are there owners on here that similarly are/we're not red car people and yet went with MC red? How is this working out for you?

f

I originally had the use of a black P85+ as a loaner whilst my Roadster was in for service and it was a very compelling car over the 2k miles I drove in it in all weathers.

After a P85D test drive, there was only one result. I had to have one else life just wouldn't be complete.

But I had a major dilemma with the colour choice. I really liked how the black one looked, but it was a very wet bleak winter here, which meant I was cleaning it every other day to stop it looking like some sort of mud tank. Plus I've been annoyed with trying to keep black cars looking good in the distant past (a 928S in the 90's). The lack of colour options had me looking into doing a proper custom paint job, as my usual favourite combination is an Aston Martin Grigio Titanium Metallic with dark red leather. But the costs were eyewatering. And I don't like wraps much either, having seen a few bad jobs.

Then I saw a Red Multicoat in the sun, tan interior, black alcantara headlining, piano black dash. Stunning! Decision made. And normally I avoid red due to associations with certain Italian cars ..

Last edited:

f

I am a red person, but historically never had/drove a red car. My last 3 cars were black exterior/interior. I ordered my MC Red S85 without being able to see it (saw a color chip early 2013 but production did not begin until end April 2013). I love my MC Red and would do it again in a heartbeat. Looks different depending on lighting, darker and more subdued at night, pops in bright sunlight.

f

I never had red car until I saw MC red. In fact I changed my order from the origninal dark blue, which delayed delivery by 6 months. But that's how much I liked the MC red.

I'm not a red car person and got blue but every time I see a red one on the road I'm jealous.

I'm pretty sure that's how my compadres LoL Rick, Btrflyl8te and Great Dane feel every time they see me.

I wasn't a red car person either only owning black and silver cars. I remember waiting to see every available color before pulling the trigger. The red was the last color I had yet to see. As soon as I saw it in the wild I knew it was the color for me. The way light reflects off the surface is incredible.

I've never been a big fan of red cars. Too flashy, I thought. But I ordered red this time, for the first time ever. It's a great colour and really suits the car. If I was buying a Ferrari, I think I'd have no choice but to select Ferrari Red... it's what makes a Ferrari a Ferrari, visually at least. The same goes with the Model S... in my opinion it just needs to be red to convey its personality. :cool:

Obviously that's just my opinion because the other colours sell well also... but red works for me. The car is made to be seen, no to blend in.

I LOVE the multi-coat red, but just could not do it. Every time I see my friend's I love it. I got Steel Grey and added red accents to quell my need to see some red. Red Testa T on wheel caps, rear Tesla logo on chrime strip, "S" on trunk back and red Alloygator rim protectors. Looks sharp with the grey. I get compliments almost every day.

I've never been a big fan of red cars. Too flashy, I thought. But I ordered red this time, for the first time ever. It's a great colour and really suits the car. If I was buying a Ferrari, I think I'd have no choice but to select Ferrari Red... it's what makes a Ferrari a Ferrari, visually at least. The same goes with the Model S... in my opinion it just needs to be red to convey its personality. :cool:

Obviously that's just my opinion because the other colours sell well also... but red works for me. The car is made to be seen, no to blend in.

The Tesla Model S also looks amazing in Lamborghini Yellow; just ask @wk057

... in my opinion it just needs to be red to convey its personality....The car is made to be seen, not to blend in.

I take the opposite view in that I don't like to draw attention to myself. I love the silent, stealth nature of the car and going fast off the line without being perceived as a yahoo (it's not speeding getting up to the speed limit!). So I went with "blend in", no longer available, dolphin grey.

But colour is such a personal choice and you really can't go wrong with any of the colours.

But colour is such a personal choice and you really can't go wrong with any of the colours.
True! :smile:

After colour, the next step is to go with a surface treatment of some sort. The example below is interesting and even exhibits a bit of a plastic nose cone (a la Tesla)... looks like it would be pretty good for rock chips too... only question left is, what is the drag coefficient of shaggy dog and how will my range be impacted? :biggrin:

movies_dumb_and_dumber_8.jpg