Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm shocked, catastrophic failure of left rear wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be metal fatigue over time or rust/salt like already mentioned...
Also possible it had impact previously...
I know Teslas have very low maintenance but i suggest checking under car every 10k miles just like during oil changes.
I also see a lot of wrecked cars with control arms broken/bent. It's possible it could be a weak link by design...
Ya could be many things.

I do winter to summer tire swaps, and always check arms and links and so on. Nothing looked out of place over the last couple of years. Additionally, I had taken it in 3 times in the last year for alignment due to strange rear end swaying, swerving, instability...I believe this was the initial signs something was going on. 1st time I was told alignment was out of spec, they "fixed it"...but issue still persisted although it was a bit more muted. 2nd time, same response from Service Center, but told me to get new and better tires and possibly one of my rear wheels were out of round. I went ahead and did just that. Purchased a new set of wheels and brand new tires. 3rd time, took it in they did alignment, and I asked them to specifically check if all bolts were tighten in the rear. They checked and all seemed fine, but they noted I probably will need new rear camber and toe arms soon as those bushings were not in the best shape but within spec right now. On this last visit too, on my way home I noticed a clunking noise coming from the rear passenger, took it back and the same tech took the car for a ride and said he thinks its just the suspension settling after his work. Welp, got home and found that the toe arm alignment bolts were both very loose, like loose enough for my 5 year old to turn easily with the wrench. I lightly tighten it, as to not mess with the adjustment bolt...then took it back and they fix it and the clunking noise was gone.

Reactions: Genie
Ya could be many things.

I do winter to summer tire swaps, and always check arms and links and so on. Nothing looked out of place over the last couple of years. Additionally, I had taken it in 3 times in the last year for alignment due to strange rear end swaying, swerving, instability...I believe this was the initial signs something was going on. 1st time I was told alignment was out of spec, they "fixed it"...but issue still persisted although it was a bit more muted. 2nd time, same response from Service Center, but told me to get new and better tires and possibly one of my rear wheels were out of round. I went ahead and did just that. Purchased a new set of wheels and brand new tires. 3rd time, took it in they did alignment, and I asked them to specifically check if all bolts were tighten in the rear. They checked and all seemed fine, but they noted I probably will need new rear camber and toe arms soon as those bushings were not in the best shape but within spec right now. On this last visit too, on my way home I noticed a clunking noise coming from the rear passenger, took it back and the same tech took the car for a ride and said he thinks its just the suspension settling after his work. Welp, got home and found that the toe arm alignment bolts were both very loose, like loose enough for my 5 year old to turn easily with the wrench. I lightly tighten it, as to not mess with the adjustment bolt...then took it back and they fix it and the clunking noise was gone.

IMO, you have a case for a good-will replacement. You brought this up many times, they addressed a symptom and not the cause. Now the cause has made itself very apparent, and they missed it.

Reactions: Genie and xAgyex
FYI, there's cases on opposite end...
If it makes anyone feel better, my MX had bent rear top arm (spun out n hit the curb most likely..)
I replaced just that arm n already put 5k miles on it, no trouble...

1674150008662.png

Reactions: xAgyex
They're going to tell you 'no' to try to avoid spending money....as long as you brought this up while the car was under warranty, just keep pushing.
Ya ended up having to pay $5200 to get the sub-frame replaced and the toe and camber arms. Ouch. Painful, but it is what it is. The car is like new...apparently even when I originally purchased it used back in 2018, it wasn't as stiff as it is now in the rear. No movement what so ever on or off throttle. Regardless not happy I had to spend that money, but I cant complain too much about 1st world problems.

FndWfym.jpg

Reactions: KJD