Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm sort of new to ChadeMo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
Hi to the Tesla community,

I wil be borrowing the one of the ChadeMo adapters from TOCO (Tesla Owners Club of Ontario) for a weekend trip to Montreal from Toronto. Yes, I know that it is an adapter, but I have never used a ChadeMo charging station. They seem considerably different than the Tesla SC and other L2 chargers out there. My questions are the following:

• I think I should set battery preconditioning on prior to reaching the ChadeMo station?
  • Any suggestions for ChadeMo on the west end on the Montreal island? We'll be in Kirkland
  • Any Tesla SC in the West Island of Montreal?
I have a 21' LR dual motor and will be using ABRP for planning my stop along the way. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

The CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125 amps, which works out to a peak of just under 50 kW on the Model 3. Charge rate will increase as state of charge increases all the way up to about 80%. The charge rate is so slow that you don't need to precondition. That said, the car will warm its battery up anytime it's plugged into a DC fast charger, even if it's only slow CHAdeMO speeds. This will reduce your charge rate by about 7 kW for the first 20+ minutes of CHAdeMO charging.

Hi to the Tesla community,

I wil be borrowing the one of the ChadeMo adapters from TOCO (Tesla Owners Club of Ontario) for a weekend trip to Montreal from Toronto. Yes, I know that it is an adapter, but I have never used a ChadeMo charging station. They seem considerably different than the Tesla SC and other L2 chargers out there. My questions are the following:

• I think I should set battery preconditioning on prior to reaching the ChadeMo station?
  • Any suggestions for ChadeMo on the west end on the Montreal island? We'll be in Kirkland
  • Any Tesla SC in the West Island of Montreal?
I have a 21' LR dual motor and will be using ABRP for planning my stop along the way. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Scratching my head why you would bother? Is this to see how other charge facilities work? On the west end of Montreal you have the Montreal Supercharger; the Point-Claire Supercharger (maybe 5k from Kirkland);Laval not too far away. Lots of options if you're going to cruise around Montreal. Maybe it's just me but you're not going to be in a Supercharger desert. Is the ChadeMo station free?:rolleyes:
Also, if you want to know what Tesla chargers are available (Superchargers and destination chargers) go here:Find Us | Tesla

Last edited:
Never used one, but this seems backwards as, typically, the rate of charge reduces as SOC increases. Just asking.

In this case it's because the limit is placed by the adapter, not the car.
For normal Supercharging the car is the limitation.

Power = voltage x current.

The charging controls the current.
The voltage is determined by the battery, with its voltage increasing as the state of charge increases.

When the car is controlling the current: current lowers quickly, voltage increases slowly => power goes down
When the adapter is the limit: current is constant, battery voltage increases slowly => power goes up slowly.

In cars such as my Kona, the current is changed at set percentage charge, in steps, so the slow increase in power with constant current and voltage increase is more obvious:

(BTW that FastNed site has charging curve graphs for a number of vehicles.)

Last edited:
Never used one, but this seems backwards as, typically, the rate of charge reduces as SOC increases. Just asking.

Your typical Supercharger charging curve is not current-limited like a CHAdeMO station. With CHAdeMO being limited to 125 amps, your charge rate will increase as battery pack voltage increases, up to the point where you would hit the taper point of the car's charging curve.

Let's say your battery pack is 350 volts at a low state of charge. At this voltage, 125 amps will provide 43.75 kW. If the pack increases to 400 volts at a higher state of charge, that works out to 50 kW. A Model 3 won't normally taper below 50 kW until somewhere around 80%, so you will see an increase of charging power until the car hits 80%.

Don't forget the effect of battery heating on your charge rate. With a low state of charge, your car will be spending 7 kW of the available power to heat the battery, so you'll end up with more like 36 kW instead of the expected 43 kW. Once the battery warms up, heating stops and you'll get that 7 kW back.

Last edited:
Any suggestions for ChadeMo
Because of the "un-supercharger-like" experience outlined above, when CHAdeMO charging a Tesla, it will be faster to charge if you start with a higher SOC. So, if you know that you need to add 20 kWh at some point on a drive, it will take less time to add them if you stop early when your battery is fuller than if you stop later. This is basically opposite to superchargers, where you will optimize charging time by arriving with the lowest SOC.