Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm starting to doubt I'll be getting an electric truck.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not with the yoke. No way
I'm not a fan either but it's be interesting to see how people feel once there are more examples in the wild. If its overwhelmingly negative it would make one wonder if they will go back to a traditional wheel and give the option to current owners. I'm bit concerned about the lack of gear selector. Maybe it will be liberating and I'm just a FUD?

I too would love to have a CT. Let us keep in mind that the first production year of any vehicle is usually difficult, as the manufacturer works out the bugs and refines the assembly process. Having a later reservation number may not be a bad thing in the long run.

It's frustrating to wait, but once CTs start rolling off the line, your best bet to get one timely is definitely going to be CT. Tesla is the only company planning to make EV trucks that actually knows how to make EVs at scale. And the CT was designed for massive serial production. It is really the Model T of Tesla.
Tesla knows how to make EVs at scale but not necessarily trucks. Ford on the other hand knows how to make trucks at scale but is ramping up on the EV thing. Different strengths in both companies.

The CT still has hurdles like coming up with final production design/ dimensions / crash test compliant (which is a challenge with exoskeleton) and somehow figuring out pedestrian safety... hard / bullet proof stainless steel plates with sharp angles in the front aren't exactly great for that ... then add larger scale road testing with early pre production vehicles. I wouldn't advise to release the CT without having road tested for cumulative hundreds of thousands miles ... the typical truck market is less willing to play Beta tester

Reactions: Zer0t and TessP100D
But what if neither one is between where you are and where you want to be? :) :)
You are being disingenuous. You have been here long enough to remember a time before SCs and then when the only SCs were in between SF and LA. It has taken Tesla many, many years to get where we are today. It will still be a number of years (5 is my guess if we pass the infrastructure bill, as many as 10 without it) but CCS fast chargers will outnumber Tesla SCs.

Reactions: Zer0t
I'm going to wait until midway through 2022 before I entertain moving on from the CT. Even before the announced delay, we all kind of knew we'd have to wait around that long anyway. By that time, we should have a better estimate on how much longer it'll take to hit production.

I really don't *need* a truck, but I do like everything else about it.

Reactions: Bridor
Well Musk announced yesterday, while discussing AI, that the cyber truck will be later than expected I caught the clip in the wall street journal this AM.

No, he didn't say that. He only said that HW4 would come in the Cybertruck in about a year. He never said that the Cybertruck wouldn't ship before that with HW3...

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
You are being disingenuous. You have been here long enough to remember a time before SCs and then when the only SCs were in between SF and LA. It has taken Tesla many, many years to get where we are today. It will still be a number of years (5 is my guess if we pass the infrastructure bill, as many as 10 without it) but CCS fast chargers will outnumber Tesla SCs.
You are being overoptimistic (IMHO from my 30 years of EV experience), especially the infrastructure bill part.
Neither the government nor the legacy automakers have the will, foresight, attitude, or intelligence to create a good charging network. They are too focused on the past to be able to see the future.
I've seen too many (~90% failure) of all previous Government-sponsored EV charging projects fail. Do you remember the DOE's "EV Project" in ~2000 that resulted in the Blink charging network? Do you know anyone (other than me) who has used a Blink station? What about the California's LPI/SPI deployment from the late '90's (I used them too - ever used evchargernews.com)?
However, I hope you are right though.

Reactions: rhumbliner