Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm starting to doubt I'll be getting an electric truck.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are being overoptimistic (IMHO from my 30 years of EV experience), especially the infrastructure bill part.
Neither the government nor the legacy automakers have the will, foresight, attitude, or intelligence to create a good charging network. They are too focused on the past to be able to see the future.
Why does it have to involve the govt or automakers? Last I checked Ford doesn't own any gas stations. Once we hitting a tipping point in EV adoption, private companies will come in (initially with govt subsidies which is what I hope from the infrastructure bill) and build the networks. I fully expect gas stations themselves to start adding charging stations in coming years. They may even subsidize the cost of electricity as people will be hanging out in their stores for 15 mins buying much higher margin items than energy (margins on gas sales are famously low - they want you buying food and drinks inside). I think charging stations will soon just be simple credit card operated like gas pumps so you won't care what network you are using. You will just look at location and price, like people do with gas today.

Why does it have to involve the govt or automakers? Last I checked Ford doesn't own any gas stations. Once we hitting a tipping point in EV adoption, private companies will come in (initially with govt subsidies which is what I hope from the infrastructure bill) and build the networks. I fully expect gas stations themselves to start adding charging stations in coming years. They may even subsidize the cost of electricity as people will be hanging out in their stores for 15 mins buying much higher margin items than energy (margins on gas sales are famously low - they want you buying food and drinks inside). I think charging stations will soon just be simple credit card operated like gas pumps so you won't care what network you are using. You will just look at location and price, like people do with gas today.
You mentioned optimism about the government with your
5 is my guess if we pass the infrastructure bill

I hold hope as you do in private industry. I do know of at least one gas station that has installed a couple of dual CHaDEMO/CCS chargers on their own dime, just like you suggest. I hope it pans out for them.

In Canada, at least one company is already selling to EV drivers…

Welcome to Canada’s Electric Highway.​

You’ve always been able to drive from the Rockies to the Maritimes. And now, you can do it in an electric vehicle. Because helping Canadians get to where they want to go is what we do, and we’re happy to be a part of your journeys.

That is in addition to public utilities doing the same,

BC Hydro's fast charging network​

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The one I quoted. Not sure how reliable it is but I read that it was a call/announcement to the entire Tesla staff, and it was confirmed elsewhere on Reddit. You can read the tweet thread and unpack from there. Skepticism is potentially healthy here but I am not surprised personally if this is correct.
When your avatar looked at me I almost *sugar* myself. Talking to myself:”You took too much man”.😂😂😂

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
maybe im alone on this, but im much less frustrated at the year pushback on the cybertruck and a little more relaxed that Tesla is taking their time with it and not trying to overly rush it to market. Not that they would be able to anyway, the factory thats going to build it is not even done so they couldnt make one if they wanted to, correct me if im wrong but pretty sure they are still waiting on the steel factory as well.

so what im probably alone on, is the extra year is another year to save up for tri-motor and potentially all the addons i really want. pending what those actually will be

Reactions: WhiteWi
maybe im alone on this, but im much less frustrated at the year pushback on the cybertruck and a little more relaxed that Tesla is taking their time with it and not trying to overly rush it to market. Not that they would be able to anyway, the factory thats going to build it is not even done so they couldnt make one if they wanted to, correct me if im wrong but pretty sure they are still waiting on the steel factory as well.

so what im probably alone on, is the extra year is another year to save up for tri-motor and potentially all the addons i really want. pending what those actually will be
I think that steel factory in Texas is up and running.