Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm Tesla Roadster Shopping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Roadster lovers!
I'm going to make an offer on a Tesla Roadster so I may be joining your family soon.

I bought a 2005 Lotus Elise in 2008 and has been my daily driver for the last 11 years.

My Lotus Elise is loud, it's a rough ride, it's low and hard to get in and out of, it doesn't have cup holders, no storage, you can't hear the music and can't have a conversation.... and I love it, and wouldn't drive anything else!
.... except maybe a Tesla Roadster. :)

The seller doesn't have a presence here on tmc, is out of state, and has only owned it a year. I would prefer to buy from an enthusiast because they tend to care more about their car.
Anyways.... Before I pull the trigger, I thought I would see if there were any motivated sellers here considering letting their Roadster go.

Send me a PM with what you have.

Thank you.
Gary

My Lotus Elise is loud, it's a rough ride, it's low and hard to get in and out of, it doesn't have cup holders, no storage, you can't hear the music and can't have a conversation.... and I love it, and wouldn't drive anything else!
Once you get the car...

"My Tesla Roadster isn't loud, it's a rough ride, it's low and hard to get in and out of, it has a cup holder, no storage, you can hear the music and can have a conversation (with the top off at low speeds or with the top on sometimes at higher speeds) .... and I love it, and wouldn't drive anything else! .... except maybe a 2020 Tesla Roadster."

You may also want to state your budget. Low cost examples are in the $40K range but the best examples still command $75K+ depending on options, service history and battery/PEM health.

Once you get the car...

"My Tesla Roadster isn't loud, it's a rough ride, it's low and hard to get in and out of, it has a cup holder, no storage, you can hear the music and can have a conversation (with the top off at low speeds or with the top on sometimes at higher speeds) .... and I love it, and wouldn't drive anything else! .... except maybe a 2020 Tesla Roadster."

You may also want to state your budget. Low cost examples are in the $40K range but the best examples still command $75K+ depending on options, service history and battery/PEM health.

Haha!, that is awesome to hear. My wife refuses to ride in my Lotus because of the noise. Maybe I'll have more date nights... I love seeing her get in and out of it. ;)

Thank you for sharing, I was wondering if it would be quieter than my Lotus with what I've read people say about the Tesla Roadster noise level but I was pretty hopeful that I'm coming from a different perspective than most. :)

I have no budget, I'm a frugal engineer, and I like what Warren Buffet says.... Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

How do I verify PEM health and what is the $ level to replace?

Gary

The 2.5 versions are significantly quieter but it's possible to spend a weekend (or more) soundproofing a 1.5 so it's almost as quiet as a 2.5. I added even more sound deadening to my 2.5 so conversations are easy and music sounds good.

Today's Roadster Orphan
Start here.
I don’t know if @toddat sold his. @daniel orange one is still for sale remarkably. Sometimes it best to find the car and then decide on if you want it. @spaceballs was going to put an early model up for sale soon. It’s kind of like deciding the model, then the color and then if something else comes up drop everything and buy it. I was going for something subtle in color, that didn’t quite work out. Mechanically the brake pads and rear shocks are weaker points, everyone wants to change those items. Double Din and Carbon interior are not essentials but are very desirable. Best of luck.

Hello fellow Roadster lovers!
I'm going to make an offer on a Tesla Roadster so I may be joining your family soon.

I bought a 2005 Lotus Elise in 2008 and has been my daily driver for the last 11 years.

The seller doesn't have a presence here on tmc, is out of state, and has only owned it a year. I would prefer to buy from an enthusiast because they tend to care more about their car.
Anyways.... Before I pull the trigger, I thought I would see if there were any motivated sellers here considering letting their Roadster go.

Send me a PM with what you have.

Thank you.
Gary

Mine (not mine anymore, but you know what I mean) is whisper-quiet at low speed. At high speed road noise is loud enough that I never bothered with music if the top was open. The Taylor Mesh Top was wonderful for reducing the force of wind and sun, but as far as noise was the same as having the top off. After driving hard on a hot day, the compressor seemed very loud to me for a few minutes after I shut it off, though not nearly as loud as my Model 3 (which I only notice after getting out of the car). Driving on the freeway with the cloth cover on was not nearly as loud as with the top open. Still, road noise was pretty loud. I've heard the earlier models were worse. Mine's a 2.5. But the Very Orange color is beautiful.

It has a cup holder, but honestly, it's useless. It's kind of like those tongs you use to grab corn-on-the-cob out of the pot, but shaped for a cup. It swings out and then opens up for the cup. I would not trust it and never used it. At least there are no stains from spilled coffee because I never used the cup holder.

From what I've heard of the Elise, the Roadster will totally leave the Elise in the dust. It is SOOOOOOOOO much fun to drive. Current Automotive in Naperville, Illinois bought it from me and if you google their web site you can see it. They're asking $64K now, down from the $65K they listed it for originally. They paid me $50K and they arranged and paid for the shipping. They had the annual maintenance done on it because I missed the last one due to not driving it for a year since I got the Model 3. The battery is in excellent condition according to a remote test that Tesla did. Maybe they'd sell it for $60K? (Just pulling that number out of my butt.)

Good luck finding one. The Roadster is an amazing car (even though the upper-level Model S are so much quicker :(). It was time for me to move on but I sure loved that car.

@Gabner the $90K 2010 Yellow Roadster is listed on Autotrader for $90K WITH $30K battery upgrade (R80). Extremely low miles. While searching a replacement for my yellow #683 (also in FL) which was stolen during transport I actually flew back to FL to look at the Yellow R80 2010, drove the car and negotiated down to $72K. Contact the seller (they work for the owner).

Reactions: AtAge19
At the same time I contacted and spoke with the exotic car (mostly Ferari) dealership in Chicago and almost bought one of the last roadsters made in the US (#1457)...2011 Roadster Sport. It’s also on Autotrader. Dealer as it listed for $83K. I negotiated down to $72K. Ultimately my decision was to get a 2011 Very Orange rom San Francisco (got it for $67K) But it was a close call between $72K R80 roadster sport with all carbon fiber interior and exterior 2010 versus 2011 roadster sport #1457. I’m sure both sellers are willing to go lower now.

Reactions: AtAge19
It has a cup holder, but honestly, it's useless. It's kind of like those tongs you use to grab corn-on-the-cob out of the pot, but shaped for a cup. It swings out and then opens up for the cup. I would not trust it and never used it. At least there are no stains from spilled coffee because I never used the cup holder.
It's not a cup holder, it's a CAN holder. I keep Henry's CAN-JR there. Very handy, and it keeps me from opening the trunk so often (always worried about the latches...).

It's not a cup holder, it's a CAN holder. I keep Henry's CAN-JR there. Very handy, and it keeps me from opening the trunk so often (always worried about the latches...).
I keep both CANs in between the seat backs. Pull them out with the drawstrings on the storage bag. My wife uses the cup holder more than I do and thinks it works quite well. Never spilled anything but I insist on lids.

That's interesting, I have mine down the outside of the seats, the Sr on my side as I use it all the time and the Jr on the other side, between the seats is where I keep my water bottle. The cup holder is where my phone holder clips onto until I can figure out a magnetic mount on the side panel. I used to use the cup holder but it makes an unhappy passenger/wife so I decided to just not use it.
While you loose that little but of storage in the lotus behind the seat, the trunk space is actually quite roomy. I have an emergency kit and a tesla UMC and the soft top. Still have room for the weekly shopping. That was a nice bonus. The hard top is so nice to have but I still dream about the clear top.

I am considering selling my Roadster Sport 2.5. It is one of the "Final 5" with a unique blue paint, photos of Elon Musk signing it, and basically every option (yes including cup-holder and sound-damping package from Tesla, all carbon fiber options, many charging cables, relatively new shocks and tires, no carpool stickers, etc.). It was my daily driver for years, but it is is still in almost perfect shape (garaged, well maintained). I also have high-power wall charger, Henry Sharp's J1772 to Roadster can adapter, prepaid for a new battery (really don't need it yet), both a carbon-fiber hard-top and soft-top, and more.

I'm not necessarily a "motivated" seller, but my wife wants the space back in the garage so! I am interested in knowing what members think the car is worth and I definitely will sell if I get a reasonable offer.

IMG_5346.JPG
IMG_5345.JPG

I am considering selling my Roadster Sport 2.5. It is one of the "Final 5" with a unique blue paint, photos of Elon Musk signing it, and basically every option (yes including cup-holder and sound-damping package from Tesla, all carbon fiber options, many charging cables, relatively new shocks and tires, no carpool stickers, etc.). It was my daily driver for years, but it is is still in almost perfect shape (garaged, well maintained). I also have high-power wall charger, Henry Sharp's J1772 to Roadster can adapter, prepaid for a new battery (really don't need it yet), both a carbon-fiber hard-top and soft-top, and more.

I'm not necessarily a "motivated" seller, but my wife wants the space back in the garage so! I am interested in knowing what members think the car is worth and I definitely will sell if I get a reasonable offer.

View attachment 422396 View attachment 422398

Nice car. Miles? Current battery capacity? Year?

36,681 miles. "Standard Range" shows 187 miles. I haven't tried re-balancing or anything. Tesla does owe me a new battery (prepaid when I bought the car) and I suspect they would apply this to a 3.0 battery although it may involve a wait. I am the original owner so I know the car has never been any accident or had any significant problems.