Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm thinking of buying a Model X but have some questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
14k is not almost half the cost of a Model 3 btw.

More like 1/4 once you account for software and extra insurance and extra registration etc on top of a singular X. And 35K Model 3 doesn’t exist.

If you don’t have a single Tesla yet, invest all your eggs into the most versatile Tesla out there.

7 seats - 100D is what I would go for today.

I bought a 6 seater 60D upgraded to 75D.

View attachment 321247

But I see your towing and might travel a lot, me on the other hand I travel very little. I did the math again and it was a $17k gap lol, you still think its worth it for the difference?

you answered your own question. Most people say buy what you can afford. I say buy what you need.

Agreed. I could afford a 100D but I am going for a 75D since I will use it mostly for city driving and occasional 300-500 mile road trips. I'd rather spend the $17k on a nice vacation for the family.

Now if $17k is pocket change for you then go right ahead, but in that case why not go for a P100D instead?? ;)

My ONLY rational with buying the 100D is based on my worries of battery degradation down the line and winter range reduction by 30% (not sure if thats accurate) from heating and such and reselling could be easier down the line (?) this also brings up another interesting discussion: after the 8 year warranty is up I’m sure it’s going to depreciate ALOT.

Reactions: outdoors
30% winter range reduction only if you cold soak your battery and make short trips. Park in a garage, or preheat/precondition your car from the app while its plugged in and you can cut that degradation down. Long term battery degradation is overrated, your battery will outlast the other components in the car. You'll never see more than 10% permanent loss before 500k miles unless you supercharge 5 times a day and consistently drain to 0 miles. Even with a 30% winter loss, you're still looking at ~170 miles usable range. If you drive more than that sure you need the 100D, but if you don't then you're just paying for less range anxiety (which disappears when you become more familiar with an EV).

As for depreciation, the higher end models tend to depreciate far more than the lower end ones. When you buy a used toyota camry, nobody cares if its an LE or an XLE or SE. If you resell it, sure you'll get more money for a 100D than a 75D, but will you get $16.5k back? not likely.

My ONLY rational with buying the 100D is based on my worries of battery degradation down the line and winter range reduction by 30% (not sure if thats accurate) from heating and such and reselling could be easier down the line (?) this also brings up another interesting discussion: after the 8 year warranty is up I’m sure it’s going to depreciate ALOT.

Time to turn discussion on its head. :D

Why a X instead of an S or 3?

What is desired seating capacity? Model X is the exclusive Tesla in being able to seat 7 while dragging a 787. It also sits the highest and has the easiest ingress and egress for entering and exiting the vehicle for the really young and elderly.

If you don’t need that, other options open up.

• Funny
Reactions: xyeahtony
Hey guys,

Looking to buy a Tesla Model X and I’m real close to pulling the trigger. I just have some questions hopefully you guys can clear up.

1. For those who own Tesla in winter seasons, how have they been holding up? Any issues with the falcon wing doors?

1. I’m debating on 75d vs 100d. I work from home so my daily commute is very minimal and travel no less then 100 miles on the weekend. But things might change when I get my Model X cause I’d be traveling more since paying no gas sounds good as hell to me, lol. I might make 1-2 big travels to visit other states and national parks if I get my X. For those with 75d, how has traveling been to you guys? Have you guys visited any cool places? Is there anything you regret or wish you changed? And those with 100d, how has your experience been? Paying an extra $14k is a lot for the upgrade from 75d to 100d, that’s almost half the cost of the model 3.

1. Is autopilot worth getting? To those who didn’t get it, what was your reasoning?

1. 22” or 20” rims? The 22” looks way better but I’ve heard that it reduces your range significantly and you feel bumps on the road more. To those who have 22” or have experience with both, is it true? Would you get the 20’s if you could start over again? As I wrote above, I don’t travel much but would like to when I get my Tesla, so maybe 22” won’t be a good idea even though I want it badly :/

1. When you guys had issues with the car, how was the service?

I’d like to see your guy's Model X!

I’m in South Florida, so cant talk to snow questions, but thumbs up for Autopilot, 100D, mobile service will come to you if possible ( had seat belt latch replaced at wife’s work ). I’m all in with Tesla MX, have a BMW 750Li in parking spot I haven’t driven since the MX arrived!! Love all things Tesla!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
30% winter range reduction only if you cold soak your battery and make short trips. Park in a garage, or preheat/precondition your car from the app while its plugged in and you can cut that degradation down. Long term battery degradation is overrated, your battery will outlast the other components in the car. You'll never see more than 10% permanent loss before 500k miles unless you supercharge 5 times a day and consistently drain to 0 miles. Even with a 30% winter loss, you're still looking at ~170 miles usable range. If you drive more than that sure you need the 100D, but if you don't then you're just paying for less range anxiety (which disappears when you become more familiar with an EV).

I thought the 30% winter range occurs dominantly once you drive, not if you cold soak it, although that is a different matter I don't have to worry about cause I have a garage.

Winter: Haven't driven our current X in the snow, but the loaner we had for 3 months prior to delivery was an XP85D which was wonderful in the snow even with the 22's. I don't plan on using 22s in the snow for our vehicle though.

75 vs 100: If it works for your budget, I don't think you'll ever be disappointed with the extra miles. Range anxiety is real and there are a lot of ways to work around this. Your mileage will differ based on the weather, wheels, driving habits, etc. We've taken numerous 4+ hour trips with the kiddos already and we've always stopped along the way for a charge and food since we have young kids. You never know what you'll experience along the route so it's reassuring to have some extra miles to spare. For us, having the freedom and piece of mind with the kids in the car for long trip was worth the upgrade. We've definitely happy we upgraded.

Autopilot: We skipped on this option for now. My personal experience was only OK using autopilot where I live and do most of my driving. I think it would make more sense for me if I was in a lot of stop and go traffic. On the roads I typically take, there is a lot of merging traffic which seemed to give the system a bit of a challenge when I tried with the loaner. I'm not sure what version of Autopilot it had, but I hope to upgrade it in the future when it's more appropriate for my typical drives.

Rims: We opted with the 22s. It's a firm ride for sure but nothing that bothers the kids or other passengers. It's more noticeable on smaller roads with potholes. On the highway, the 22s ride perfectly. It's actually softer than our last Cayenne with 21s and the traditional steel suspension. It handles better than with the 20s and I'm sure it affects the range somewhat but with the 100D we've never noticed anything significant. I feel my driving style has more to do with the range than the wheels personally.

Issues: Nothing major so far. Things I didn't notice on delivery were the noisy windows and side mirrors, insulation around the windows, and adhesive left on the vehicle from the white wrap that's removed before delivery. Nothing has bothered us enough to drop it off for service, so we're just compiling a list or when we actually feel it's necessary to drop off.

It's a wonderful car. You'll love it.

Hey guys,

Looking to buy a Tesla Model X and I’m real close to pulling the trigger. I just have some questions hopefully you guys can clear up.

1. For those who own Tesla in winter seasons, how have they been holding up? Any issues with the falcon wing doors?

1. I’m debating on 75d vs 100d. I work from home so my daily commute is very minimal and travel no less then 100 miles on the weekend. But things might change when I get my Model X cause I’d be traveling more since paying no gas sounds good as hell to me, lol. I might make 1-2 big travels to visit other states and national parks if I get my X. For those with 75d, how has traveling been to you guys? Have you guys visited any cool places? Is there anything you regret or wish you changed? And those with 100d, how has your experience been? Paying an extra $14k is a lot for the upgrade from 75d to 100d, that’s almost half the cost of the model 3.

1. Is autopilot worth getting? To those who didn’t get it, what was your reasoning?

1. 22” or 20” rims? The 22” looks way better but I’ve heard that it reduces your range significantly and you feel bumps on the road more. To those who have 22” or have experience with both, is it true? Would you get the 20’s if you could start over again? As I wrote above, I don’t travel much but would like to when I get my Tesla, so maybe 22” won’t be a good idea even though I want it badly :/

1. When you guys had issues with the car, how was the service?

I’d like to see your guy's Model X!

• Love
Reactions: Nilnoc and P85_DA
I thought the 30% winter range occurs dominantly once you drive, not if you cold soak it, although that is a different matter I don't have to worry about cause I have a garage.

The range loss occurs because the battery heater runs to try and heat the battery up. If the battery is already warm, then it wont use as much power heating up the battery. Alternatively people turn on range mode, and it limits the battery heater but then you dont get regen either on a cold battery.

In the past, crafty tesla owners in cold regions would time their charging to end right when they leave. The battery warms as it charges, so right after charging finishes is when the battery is at optimal temperature.